• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Props make you poo/ Plane Capt. Appreciation thread

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're nuking it...and sounds exactly like something an O-5 would say in Our Modern Navy. You'll go far in this company.

One of the first things you get told as an RP/RNFO at the E-2 RAG is embarrassing poop stories. Perils of a big-crew airplane (so: witnesses) without a shitter. This one reminded me of the "shit hitting the fan" story.

SOP if someone takes a dump/barfs in the Hummer (experienced guys keep one of those heavy-duty Hefty yard bags in their helmet bags for just such an eventuality) is for the ACO to toss the bag out the CIC ditching hatch when you're on final. How you convince a squadronmate to hold on to a bag of your feces is beyond me, but anyway. On one recovery, the ACO pitches the bag up, not down, and it gets hung up on the starboard inboard vertical stab. The plane traps, physics takes over and the evil bag goes flying through the prop. Hilarity ensues for everyone except the ACO, who was out in the LA with a swab as soon as recovery was complete.

MasterBates

I've said it before, but with all the crap they are adding into the E-2D.. I want a shitter.

Maybe tie it to the in flight refueling add on contract.

Yankee Uniform Tango
On one recovery, the ACO pitches the bag up, not down, and it gets hung up on the starboard inboard vertical stab. The plane traps, physics takes over and the evil bag goes flying through the prop.

Sounds like the defecation hit the oscillation. :D

I'll be here all ze veek.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've said it before, but with all the crap they are adding into the E-2D.. I want a shitter.

Maybe tie it to the in flight refueling add on contract.

Everybody's said that. It's been brought up in every HETAT for the last six years. AIRNAV keeps saying "no money". Bastards.

The hell of it is, the hard points for the old chemical shitters are still there in the AEC, even in the brand-new HE2K's; the MILSPEC's never been changed. Same reason the placard by the AEC door still says "lavatory". And I'm sure the specs for the shitters are still out there. So it wouldn't be all that difficult to reinstall them.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Here's a "hijack" of epic proportions...but should be of interest to the aviation community.

Upon reading Mumble's (the OP's) post, I flashed back to an event very akin to his Dad's account...and perhaps actually the original event, with some embellishment...I can attest to the veracity, because I was there!!

Same general set-up...early sixties, Med, SPAD squadron...no further details until I hear from the party involved! I've invited him by email to view this thread!:D

Friend & squadron mate suffered a gastro-intestinal casualty of massive proportions during a long hop...utilized his bag full of WAC's & Sectionals as a receptacle...which he then carefully folded, and attempted to "jettison" out the starboard side...which in turn resulted in a rather long, outstandingly visible, brown streak down the right side of his fuselage...observed by all who watched his trapping aboard...and then by a long parade of viewers who made the trip up to the flight deck!!:D

Because Mumbles cites his Dad, and Spads...I PM'ed him, requesting he tell me his Dad's name...maybe we knew each other?? With Mumbles consent. here's his reply:

well Sir,
Dad was a VF type in the 70s and 80's...
but my Grandad whose been deceased for a few years was a SPAD Skipper in the 1950s, (VA-216 I believe), and CAG on the Shangri-La in the Med in early 60's. His name was Frank Ault.
R/
Mumbles

OK, I certainly did not know his Dad, being he was a decade younger than I am...and, to boot, was a member of the "Fighter Puke" community...with whom us "Attack" types did not associate, socially or professionally!!:D

However, the name of his Granddad...Frank Ault...was, for some reason, vaguely familiar. So, "Goggling" it up, I found this:

Ault

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Captain Frank Ault, USN (Ret) (1922 – August 25, 2006) was a United States Naval officer. He is best remembered for the classified study he led in 1968 that led to the creation of the Navy Fighter Weapons School, or TOP GUN. Disturbed over less than expected performance of Navy fighters against the North Vietnamese MIGs in the first stage of the Vietnam Conflict 1965-1968 in which the exchange ratio was at best 2.5:1, Ault was directed by Adm. Tom Moorer, the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) to conduct a sweeping review of aircraft, aircrew, organizational, training and missile performance and make recommendations for improvements. The official title of the report was Air-to-Air Missile System Capability Review, but it quickly became known simply as the Ault Report[1].

Probably very familiar to the VF community of that time...we VA guys were also somewhat aware of the controversy in tactics!

Additionally, Frank Ault was Shang's CAG...and Shang was often our "sister" carrier in the Med during that time frame...and also CO of Coral Sea, '66-'67. Wife & I were "Guests of Honor" at a Coral Sea "Change of Command" ceremony at Pearl once in mid '70's...will relate details in this "Humor" forum sometime in the future.;)