• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Proposed change to FAR 61.73

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was just curious as to how you become an IP in the Navy. Is there a cousre at a P-Cola or is it in house?

Just like everything else, there's a syllabus. For VTs and HTs, there's an actual CNATRA syllabus, written much like the student one except w/ less requirements but the reqs are higher. For the fleet, there's PQSs and in the RAGs, there's some kind of syllabus before you can fly w/ FRPs even though you know the aircraft.

There is a class in P'cola that's a part of the VT/HT syllabus. Everyone in the TRACOM has to go to it. It's value/usefulness is debatable. See the above posts about the hierarchy of needs.

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
Alot of it is garbage and I could be spending my time doing more important stuff (like.. uhhh.. uhhh..)

I've had 8+ CFI up until now and I don't think any of them would be any worse if they didn't know what "REACTION FORMATION" or "SUBLIMATION" is.

Its a shame they don't teach the real important things in the FOI stuff regarding students. All you really need to know when dealing with students is...never accept checks.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Its a shame they don't teach the real important things in the FOI stuff regarding students. All you really need to know when dealing with students is...never accept checks.

I'll keep that in mind if I ever finish my CFI. :)

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Unless you get a decent amount of time in Cessnas/Pipers, you really are going to be useless trying to instruct Joe Schmore civilian...I recommend getting in on the civi side...The psychology part is ridiculous...the checkride is harder than any military checkride you will take..it blows.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alot of it is garbage and I could be spending my time doing more important stuff (like.. uhhh.. uhhh..)

I've had 8+ CFI up until now and I don't think any of them would be any worse if they didn't know what "REACTION FORMATION" or "SUBLIMATION" is.

maslow.jpg
Well there's your problem. That's not Bloom's Taxonomy! That's Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs! :D:D:D

(yes, I am a huge nerd)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Unless you get a decent amount of time in Cessnas/Pipers, you really are going to be useless trying to instruct Joe Schmore civilian...I recommend getting in on the civi side...The psychology part is ridiculous...the checkride is harder than any military checkride you will take..it blows.
I agree and I think this is a bad idea. Military training and civilian training are totally different animals both in philosophy, technique and appliction. Further, as FLYPAY alluded, there is a significant difference in the airlpanes themselves. Teach a guy to fly a Cessna 152 the same way you'd teach him in a T-34C and you'll kill him.

HuggyU2

None
...I think this is a bad idea.
I disagree; this is a good idea.
I don't need hundreds of hours in a Cessna to teach Joe Bag O'Doughnuts how to fly. The aircraft are simple, hence the reason it makes a good civilian trainer.
So, now we take Mr 275-hour Pilot, who just passed his CFI checkride. Good on him! How much "practical aviation experience" does he have? None. How many folks has he really taught? None. Does he know where his personal limits are yet when flying with a student? No. Has he dealt with good, bad, or unmotivated students? How about trying to find 3 or 4 new ways to teach something, because what worked with the last student doesn't work with the current student? No.
Now, he will eventually become a good CFI, through experience, dealing with numerous students' personalities, etc... we all start from scratch somewhere.
New day: here's Mr Military Pilot. He spent 3 years teaching guys in the T-34/T-44/T-45. He flew with good students, bad ones, foreign ones,... even ones that tried to kill him. He learned to instruct while inverted,... in formation,... doing 140 knots on final,....
He left the Training Command and went back to a fleet squadron, flying all over the US (and the world), chalking up some great practical experience, and flew in all sorts of weather. He's seen weather patterns, he's watched airfields go from VFR to 300/1 in a short time, and he's had to weigh the diversion options. Bottom line is he's got lots of SA and experience to pass on.
Did any of you have an ex-military CFI when you learned civvy flying? If so, think back to the great stories you heard. Pretty motivational, huh?

So, now I get out of the military with my CFI. Which military pilots are going to use that CFI? There's really only a certain portion of the military pilot population that will, and they are probably already somewhat highly qualified. Let me explain.
Why are most mil IP's not going to use the CFI? Because you're not going to make squat for income as a CFI flying Cessnas at the FBO. So what's up?
First, many military pilots leave the military and never bother to do any GA flying, so even if they have the certificate, they'll never even consider using it.
As for those of us that occasionally fly/rent/borrow G.A. airplanes, we're the ones more likely to use the CFI to teach our kids, or friends, how to fly. And getting a little extra spin up doesn't take long, if you need it.
There are also other uses for the CFI. One example (of many) is this: at United Airlines, if you already have the CFI, and subsequently lose your medical, you could potentially keep your job with UAL by moving to Denver and working in the training center. You'll only fly the sim, but you'll be making enough to keep your kids in college. That "salary insurance" alone makes this a worthwhile investment.
How about if I invest in a Pitts S-2C or Extra, and decide that I want to teach aerobatics or formation? I need that CFI. But, on the other hand, has that CFI certificate prepared Mr 275-hour Pilot to teach in my Pitts?

Bottom line: I have full confidence that my 3000+ hours of instructor time in single-seat type aircraft makes me more than qualified to be a very good CFI. I'll need to thoroughly review Part 61 before I exercise the privledges of the certificate. And there are many legal gotchas to consider. I have a high time civilian CFI pilot who is my "mentor", and who I can go to to ask questions. Invaluable.
But if Mr 275-hour Pilot can be successful, there is NO reason to think that a military pilot with 10+ years of flying experience can't be an outstanding CFI from the start. You need to be familiar/comfortable in the aircraft that you will teach in. And you just need to do a little extra homework, in lieu of some of the flying/ground training you would do if this mil competency proposal didn't go though.

Not every "military IP" really does hard core flying instruction. Training Command guys do the bulk of it, probably. But don't sell yourself short: Uncle Sam has given you a huge wealth of aviation knowledge. Just because you're not current in a C-172 doesn't mean your "not qualified" to be a CFI.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I disagree; this is a good idea.....
If you are talking primary instructors, I agree that this would probably work. But from what I can tell, this applies to all IPs. The F-18 RAG IP does not have the backgound to teach the average Joe off the street how to fly. Neither does the P-3 IP.

The CFI is a ticket to teach someone how to kill themselves. That is why there is such a high failure rate for those taking the checkride the first time. It is the one ticket that the FAA has really been serious about.

I do believe U.S. military pilots are some of the best trained and best sticks in the world. But being a good stick doesn't equate to being a good CFI.

True story time.....I almost flunked my private pilot checkride because my CFI was a Navy pilot that taught me to fly the Navy way. I was demonstrating a crosswind landing and crabbed all the way to the flare, kicked the crab out and landed. The FAA examiner went ballistic because I didn't use wing down/opposite rudder. In fact, I'd never heard of it because my Marine A-4 CFI (who was also my VT-10 IP) never taught me that. You can land in a stronger cross wind with a crab but the FAA thinks it's dangerous to teach primary guys that method as they are more prone to try a crosswind that exceeds both their planes ability and their skill. With wing down/opposite rudder, if you can track the centerline, you are within the planes capabilities and your skills. After hearing who my CFI was, the DE gave me a quick lesson on wing down/opposite rudder and passed me. This military CFI should have known better because he did the CFI checkride but a military IP who got his CFI based on a written test probably would not know the FAA's preference.

Just reviewing part 61 doesn't teach a military how to proficiently fly the maneuvers required by the FAA. For example, did you fly 8s on pylons in primary?

There are no hour limits or training hour requirements for the CFI. If a military IP has the appropriate back ground and experience, he theoretically could take the 2 written exams, do a single training flight with a CFI for the endorsement, and take a checkride with the FAA or DE. It could be knocked out in 2 or 3 days. It ensures the military IP knows the civilian manuevers and techniques.

BTW - you don't need a CFI to teach under 121, 135, 91K or 142. You just need the ATP. So if you were an UAL pilot who lost his medical, you can still teach at TK.

There is nothing in parts 61 or 91 that says you need a CFI to teach formation or aerobatics either. You do need the CFI to give the guy a tail wheel and/or high performance endorsement for the aircraft if he wants to go fly it alone, but I've never heard of any FAA aerobatic or formation endorsement. There might be an endorsement or training program required by a non-FAA entity but I don't know about any of that.

I have taken many military only pilots out to get checked out in Cessnas. They usually goon it up the first few times because they try and fly it like a jet or military aircraft. They quickly adapt but if they had tried flying alone the first time, they probably would have wrecked the plane or killed themselves. It is an easy transition but a transition that needs to be made. Doing CFI training ensures that the military IP has made that transition and it's not that hard or expensive if you have the background.

Finally, military pilots are taught to fly the military way. Civilian pilots are taught to fly the civilian way. There are many differences and each works in its proper place. The military guy that wants to teach civilian needs to train civilian. You are doing the civilian student an injustice by teaching the military method when he needs to be taught the civilian method. Making the military IP do the civilian CFI training is a good thing. When you went back for your 3rd IP tour, did you just walk in and start teaching again, or did you do an IUT syllabus first?

So yes, I think it is a bad idea.

HuggyU2

None
If you are talking primary instructors, I agree that this would probably work. But from what I can tell, this applies to all IPs. The F-18 RAG IP does not have the backgound to teach the average Joe off the street how to fly. Neither does the P-3 IP.
As I mentioned, they would not be as qualified, but this new method offers a very good alternative to getting the CFI. Again, everyone is different.

But being a good stick doesn't equate to being a good CFI.
No argument there. But having 2000 hours of flight time and no "hard core" instructional background usually trumps 275 hours and no instructional background.

I almost flunked my private pilot checkride because my CFI was a Navy pilot that taught me to fly the Navy way.
Exactly! How was this CFI trained? He went through the full CFI training! And it still didn't help, according to your story. This is certainly not an indictment of the proposed mil competency CFI test. If anything, you've shown that this CFI, like some, didn't have much in his "bag of tricks".

I was demonstrating a crosswind landing and crabbed all the way to the flare, kicked the crab out and landed. The FAA examiner went ballistic because I didn't use wing down/opposite rudder.
Just a clarification: You failed to point out that if you "kick the crab", even as late in the game as the flare, you still have to use some "wing down", otherwise you'll begin to drift. The drift might not develop as much as if you kicked it out at 1/2 nm final with no wing low, but you can't just "kick it out" and do nothing with the bank angle.

This military CFI should have known better because he did the CFI checkride...
Exactly! This military CFI of yours went through the current FAA method for getting the CFI, and according to you, the CFI training failed in a very basic area. Going through the current CFI syllabus guarantees nothing. It's what a CFI puts into his instructional abililties after the checkride that determines what kind of CFI they will be.
...but a military IP who got his CFI based on a written test probably would not know the FAA's preference.
How do you infer that? I know the FAA's preference, and how to land a G.A. aircraft. And so do everyone of the military pilots that I fly G.A. with.

Just reviewing part 61 doesn't teach a military how to proficiently fly the maneuvers required by the FAA. For example, did you fly 8s on pylons in primary?
Correct: when I got checked out in the Beale Aero Club's C-172, we did 8's on pylons, turns about a point, etc...
I read up on them before I did them, went and flew them. Done. It's not rocket science. Even my 23 year old civilian CFI agreed that I had them down just fine.

There are no hour limits or training hour requirements for the CFI. If a military IP has the appropriate back ground and experience, he theoretically could take the 2 written exams, do a single training flight with a CFI for the endorsement, and take a checkride with the FAA or DE. It could be knocked out in 2 or 3 days. It ensures the military IP knows the civilian manuevers and techniques.
My CFI buds disagree. They say the CFI checkride is ALL about the ground eval: review of part 61, logbook endorsements, aircraft systes, etc... They really expect you'll do fine on the flying portion. The ground eval is where folks bust.

BTW - you don't need a CFI to teach under 121, 135, 91K or 142. You just need the ATP. So if you were an UAL pilot who lost his medical, you can still teach at TK.
I don't believe this is true, but I don't have the knowledge to prove it. I was told this by the FAA guy assigned to UAL's 727 fleet. I'm guessing that once you lose your medical, you can no longer exercise the privledges of the ATP. But that is not the case with the CFI. Also, to get the CFI, you must have the medical, but losing the medical later does not invalidate the CFI certificate. Hence, you could continue to instruct in the sim.

There is nothing in parts 61 or 91 that says you need a CFI to teach formation or aerobatics either.
True. But the place that wants to hire me to teach this wants me to have the CFI. I would think it unlikely that a school would give any kind of "instruction" using an "instructor" that hasn't been blessed by the FAA with a CFI certificate. Additionally, I'm trying to break into warbirds. The owners of the AT-6/SNJ I'm trying to fly want me to have a CFI. I've found that to be the case with some P-51 owners, too.

They quickly adapt but if they had tried flying alone the first time, they probably would have wrecked the plane or killed themselves. It is an easy transition but a transition that needs to be made.
Yes, they do quickly adapt. No one expects a military pilot to take this test, and start teaching the next day at the local FBO. If said military pilot decides in a year, five years, or ten years to use the CFI certificate, they'll go out their FBO, get a checkout, flight review if necessary, and all the other "necessary" things to "fly" the aircraft.
Anticipating your rebuttal about currency, I've known plenty of pilots with CFI cert's that keep renewing them, but haven't used them in years and years. Many haven't even flown G.A. in years either. What about them?

Finally, military pilots are taught to fly the military way. Civilian pilots are taught to fly the civilian way. There are many differences and each works in its proper place. The military guy that wants to teach civilian needs to train civilian. You are doing the civilian student an injustice by teaching the military method when he needs to be taught the civilian method. Making the military IP do the civilian CFI training is a good thing. When you went back for your 3rd IP tour, did you just walk in and start teaching again, or did you do an IUT syllabus first?
To answer your last question, I went through a very abbreviated version of the syllabus, based on my "previous experience". Basically, I proficiency advanced. Sounds sort of like,... a "previous military competency"!
I often cringe when I see folks comparing military flight training to civilian training. We are training pilots for very involved, detailed, warfighting skills (or the building blocks for those skills): low level, formation flight, aerobatics, even radio discipline. They are flying multi-million $$ aircraft,... some of which are national assets. Comparing that t oa recreational flyer learning to takeoff, land, do stalls, and basic maneuvers is apples and oranges. I'm not trying to diminish the "skills" necessary for Cessna flying. In many cases, being a civ CFI is potentially very frustrating, and even dangerous. But the level of intensity, and the level of competence required in military flying is, as we all know, a whole different level.

One of the big takeaways in all of this -- no matter whether you believe it is good or bad -- is that the pilots that will actually use this CFI certificate to teach in a Cessna new-pilot environment are going to be guys that have a passion for flying G.A. aircraft already. We all know plenty of military aviators that, when they leave work, couldn't care a bit about spending the weekend at the airport. These are not the folks that this FAA rule is targeting. Sure, they'll have the CFI certificate, but won't use it.
G.A. needs CFI's. The pilot numbers in this country are dropping. If we're going to reverse this trend, we need to make it easier for highly qualified pilots to able to get the CFI cert so they can start sharing their passion with others. As an example, when I get mine, I plan on teaching one teenager a year for free. They just pay for the aircraft. I don't plan on making a living off of this, and neither do any other military pilots that I know. We just want to be able to share and teach. I think we'll do it quite well at it, too.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
The FAA examiner went ballistic because I didn't use wing down/opposite rudder. In fact, I'd never heard of it because my Marine A-4 CFI (who was also my VT-10 IP) never taught me that. You can land in a stronger cross wind with a crab but the FAA thinks it's dangerous to teach primary guys that method as they are more prone to try a crosswind that exceeds both their planes ability and their skill. With wing down/opposite rudder, if you can track the centerline, you are within the planes capabilities and your skills

I was taught both ways and on my private checkride I did what you did... and got a "good job" :confused:

This reminds me of this video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V7Vf-kW9Eak

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Huggy - I don't think we'll ever agree on this but since neither of us are the FAA rule makers, our agreeing doesn't matter anyway.....

Exactly! This military CFI of yours went through the current FAA method for getting the CFI, and according to you, the CFI training failed in a very basic area.
Back in 1983, there was no PTS so there was no standardization. Unless you went to the FAA or received the FAA's newsletters, you could easily have failed to know what the FAA approved method was. This was a failing of both the CFI and the FAA so it probably wasn't a good example. My CFI never flew wing down/opposite rudder because he was never taught it by the Navy. So he never taught it to me. The DE that gave him his CFI check ride never had him do crosswind landings as there was no PTS requiring it. The DEs had a lot of leeway then. I know this because my CFI was at my check ride debrief and the FAA guy got into it with him. (This answers your question too whitesoxnation)

Correct: when I got checked out in the Beale Aero Club's C-172, we did 8's on pylons, turns about a point, etc...
I read up on them before I did them, went and flew them. Done. It's not rocket science. Even my 23 year old civilian CFI agreed that I had them down just fine.
8s on pylons and other maneuvers like soft field T/Os that you don't see in the military - you flew them with a CFI during your check out and he validated you knew how to. The point is you had a current CFI tell you did it right so you had training. You have demonstrated you know how to do them properly. How many of us think that just reading a book about something ensures we actually know how to do it? How many could teach a student how to correctly perform a maneuver after having just read about it and having never flown it themselves?

I don't believe this is true, but I don't have the knowledge to prove it. I was told this by the FAA guy assigned to UAL's 727 fleet. I'm guessing that once you lose your medical, you can no longer exercise the privileges of the ATP. But that is not the case with the CFI. Also, to get the CFI, you must have the medical, but losing the medical later does not invalidate the CFI certificate. Hence, you could continue to instruct in the sim.
We had a couple of Captains at Hawaiian that lost their medicals, had no CFI and were sim instructors. We had instructors at Scenic, both sim and flight, that had no CFI. The training Captain and check airman for the part 125 operation I fly for does not have his CFI.

FAR 61.167: privileges.
(a) A person who holds an airline transport pilot certificate is entitled to the same privileges as those afforded a person who holds a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument rating.
(b) An airline transport pilot may instruct
(1) Other pilots in air transportation service in aircraft of the category, class, and type, as applicable, for which the airline transport pilot is rated and endorse the logbook or other training record of the person to whom training has been given;
(2) In flight simulators, and flight training devices representing the aircraft referenced in paragraph (b)(1) of this section, when instructing under the provisions of this section and endorse the logbook or other training record of the person to whom training has been given;
(3) Only as provided in this section, unless the airline transport pilot also holds a flight instructor certificate, in which case the holder may exercise the instructor privileges of subpart H of part 61 for which he or she is rated; and
(4) In an aircraft, only if the aircraft has functioning dual controls, when instructing under the provisions of this section.

To answer your last question, I went through a very abbreviated version of the syllabus, based on my "previous experience". Basically, I proficiency advanced. Sounds sort of like,... a "previous military competency"!
Sounds like "train to proficiency" to me, which is what is required for the CFI under part 61. No minimum training required other than an endorsement from a current CFI. If you can convince the CFI you can pass the check ride after 0.5 hour in a Cessna with him, that's all the training you need. Then a quick flight with the FAA and you're good to go.

I'm positive the AF checked you out in the air. They didn't just have you take a written test and send you out to teach. And your abbreviated syllabus probably ended with a check ride.

If what you say about your abilities, experience and background are true (and I have no reason to doubt you); I could take you out in a Cessna and endorse you to take the check ride with an hour's flight. Then all you'd have to do it take 2 written tests (which are a piece of cake after a little time with the Gliem test prep books) and a check ride. If a military IP has a true passion for aviation and really wants to teach GA, this is very little to ask/accomplish.

I'm not saying the military IP needs a lot of training. But he needs to demonstrate he knows how to correctly fly a light GA aircraft and he needs to demonstrate he knows how to properly fly the required maneuvers, especially those unique to civilian training. He can't demonstrate this from a written test.

Again, I think it would be unfair to the student who is trying to learn correctly to have a CFI who's sole training/validation was from reading the book and taking a written test.

Anticipating your rebuttal about currency, I've known plenty of pilots with CFI cert's that keep renewing them, but haven't used them in years and years. Many haven't even flown G.A. in years either. What about them?
I don't agree that this is a good practice either. Once again, it is unfair to the student. The FAA's expectation is that the CFI who renews is getting refresher training via the course he takes every 2 years for the renewal. The course is supposed to keep him abreast of the FAA's latest wants and desires. I think a CFI should have to at least do a flight with another CFI and get an endorsement as part of the renewal. Kind of like a CFI flight review.

But a CFI that lets his certificate expire has to fly a check ride to get it reinstated. It's not just a written test.

However, I'll admit to being a hypocrite and I do the same thing. But I have no intention of teaching any primary/basic flight training. The only thing I do anymore is instrument currency type stuff with friends if they ask. If I ever decided to teach someone how to fly, I'd go out with a current CFI and get proficient in all the required maneuvers again. Truthfully, I'm only keeping my CFI stuff current so that in a few years I can teach my daughter to fly.

HuggyU2

None
HAL,
Your points are very valid. Hence (I like that word), the reason I enjoy debating you. You know a great deal more on the subject than most pilots I know.
I don't know how the FAA is going to implement this (I'm not sure they do either). I'm sure the FOI and CFI written will be required, or even expanded. Probably no checkride as we know it, though.
I don't know who actually pushed for this change. I'd be curious to know. NAFI maybe?
I'd be curious to know if this debate took place years ago (decades ago?) when the military competency for the commercial pilot certificate was introduced. Probably apples and oranges to the CFI scenario,... but then again, maybe not.
Cheers. :icon_zbee

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^^ Ditto

I admire that you want to teach one kid a year for free. How are you going to choose?

I'm saving my aggrevation for my daughter and my brother's kids. I figure my nephew will be starting next summer.

Heloanjin

pilot
A little late to the conversation, but as a former T-34C primary instructor (over 1100 hrs dual given) and new CFI, I can tell you that the two things are very different. In addition, military IPs generally focus on one area while civ CFIs need to know and be able to teach everything. When was the last time you taught aerodynamics or basic weather theory? I am glad I spent the time and money getting the civ training to be a CFI. If I had not, I would have done my civ students an injustice getting them prepared for their FAA practical.

But, for those of you who are interested, here is a link to the FAA NPRM. Scroll down to 61.73(g) for the part on military equivalency. You can find it twice. Once with an explanation and further down with the official wording.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...3A4B11D9C94CC9CA8625727D0052C43A?OpenDocument

For those who don't want to go to the link, here's the appropriate section:

(g) Flight instructor certificate and ratings. A person who is a U.S. military instructor pilot may apply for and be issued a flight instructor certificate with the appropriate ratings if that person:
(1) Holds a commercial or airline transport pilot certificate with the appropriate aircraft category and class rating, if a class rating is appropriate, for the flight instructor rating sought;
(2) Holds an instrument rating on the pilot certificate that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought; and
(3) Presents the following evidentiary documents:
(i) A knowledge test report that shows the person passed a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed under Sec. 61.185(a) that are appropriate to the flight instructor rating;
(ii) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person is qualified as a military instructor pilot for the flight instructor rating;
(iii) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person is a military instructor pilot for the flight instructor rating;
(iv) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person graduated from a U.S. Armed Forces' instructor pilot training school and received an aircraft rating qualification as a military instructor pilot that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating; and
(v) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person passed an instructor pilot proficiency check in an aircraft as a military instructor pilot in
the U.S. Armed Forces that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating.

Looks to me like it requires you to be a current (not former) IP. And I would interpret the "graduated from a US Armed Forces instrucotr pilot training school" to be something like the USAF school at Randolf. Not sure the inhouse IUT at Corpus primary squadrons would count. Maybe the stand alone IUTs at Whiting, but that isn't clear. ANI's at a squadron...I doubt it, but I ain't working for the FAA.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Say I retire out of the Navy with 2000+ hrs and test out to the highest I can get with the FAA, could I take a separate checkride and obtain my ATP Certificate as well?