• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Proof of Citizenship

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
RZA, I'll just add a note here on this topic. If your parents got a U.S. Passport for themselves and you fraudulently, you all are in deep dodo.... And this will all come out when you fill out your SF86 form requesting a DoD security clearance and the subsequent background investigation on your past associations and activities. Google "SF86" to see what all is involved.

Deepsea 31 out.

I don't see at all where you got that they got passports fraudulently.

Like I said, I am in the same boat as the OP. My parents got my passport by submitting my app with their naturalization certificates. Since I was <18 when they were naturalized, I was automatically a US Citizen and the app was granted.

Nothing fraudulent about it.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I was not born in the US, but my parents naturalized before I turned 18 which gave a US citizenship. I don't have a certificate or anything, but I do have a US Passport.

so... Is a US Passport enough to prove my citizenship? Or would I have to go get some sort of certificate?

Having been in exactly that situation, my passport got me as far as TBS, but DoNCAF (who runs the background checks) held up my clearance because they wanted a naturalization certificate. PITA since it meant I'd be staying at TBS until I got the clearance, and USCIS was taking 6 months to process the certificate.

The certificate me $255 and a trip to new york for an "interview". Meanwhile, I argued with DoNCAF that USCIS regs state a passport is "de facto" proof of citizenship, and submitted my parent's naturalization certificates and my birth certificate as supporting documentation.

Turns out while I was waiting on USCIS, my secret clearance finally came through, so I guess the certificate wasn't really necessary. You can get the certificate by filling out a N-400 form if you want to save yourself the hassle, but it shouldn't be necessary.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Having been in exactly that situation, my passport got me as far as TBS, but I needed a naturalization certificate for Secret clearance. Cost me $255 and a trip to new york for an "interview". USCIS regs state a passport is "de facto" proof of citizenship, but DoNCAF wasn't buying that argument. Just go ahead and fill out the N-400 form and save yourself the hassle.

Did you renounce your foreign citizenship? I did not get the "US Citizenship Certificate" because I didn't need it. My recruiter was fine with a passport and parents certificates.

Would they really not grant me a secret clearance (and thus delay my entering the RAG etc)? I have a certificate of Renunciation from Canada.

Therefore, I am ONLY a citizen of the US (since I dropped Canada), so if the Passport isn't "proof enough" for them then I guess I am a citizen of NO country?? :confused:

Deepsea 31

Life comes at you fast
None
I don't see at all where you got that they got passports fraudulently.

Like I said, I am in the same boat as the OP. My parents got my passport by submitting my app with their naturalization certificates. Since I was <18 when they were naturalized, I was automatically a US Citizen and the app was granted.

Nothing fraudulent about it.

The operative word I used is "if". It happens.

Believe it.

Deepsea 31 out.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Did you renounce your foreign citizenship? I did not get the "US Citizenship Certificate" because I didn't need it. My recruiter was fine with a passport and parents certificates.

Would they really not grant me a secret clearance (and thus delay my entering the RAG etc)? I have a certificate of Renunciation from Canada.

Therefore, I am ONLY a citizen of the US (since I dropped Canada), so if the Passport isn't "proof enough" for them then I guess I am a citizen of NO country?? :confused:

Read my updated post, I just remembered that my clearance came in while USCIS was still twiddling their thumbs, so your passport should be OK. I had to send in the same docs that I needed to get the passport in the first place (parent's naturalization certs and birth cert), and argue that USCIS considers the passport "de facto" proof of citizenship in their regs somewhere. The wait for the naturalization cert is a few months, so it might be worth it to get it just in case DoNCAF throws a fit.

I never formally did the renouncing citizenship thing.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Read my updated post, I just remembered that my clearance came in while USCIS was still twiddling their thumbs, so your passport should be OK. I had to send in the same docs that I needed to get the passport in the first place (parent's naturalization certs and birth cert), and argue that USCIS considers the passport "de facto" proof of citizenship in their regs somewhere. The wait for the naturalization cert is a few months, so it might be worth it to get it just in case DoNCAF throws a fit.

I never formally did the renouncing citizenship thing.

Roger.

Well I imagine my parents certificates, my US Passport, and my renunciation certificate (meaning I am ONLY a US citizen) should be enough.

I say this because to renounce my foreign citizenship, they needed proof of US citizenship and they SPECIFICALLY said on the application that US Passport is NOT proof of citizenship. I sent them a notarized copy anyway along with notarized copies of my parents renunciation certs and they granted it, so I think it will work again for this.

Thanks for the gouge.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would hate to point out the obvious but sometimes different government agencies require different documentation to prove the same thing, this might even be the case with the Marines and the Navy for all I know when it comes to proving citizenship. And what was good 5 years or 5 months ago might not be good today.

So my advice to the OP is to confirm with your OSO exactly what you need to prove your citizenship. On the safe side, I would apply for a certificate of citizenship right now in case you need it now or any time in the future. Even if it works out now with only the passport this issue might rear its ugly head in the future when you least expect it and having it in hand is a safe bet. And I will second the long time it takes to get anything out of Immigration nowadays, they have a huge backlog of paperwork and it takes months to get anything.

Good luck!

RZA

I talked to my OSO again, and he called district, and a passport is good to go.

Just thought I'd let you guys know.