• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Promotions and Acceptance times

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinag12

Texas A&M Class of '06
Does anyone know how long it usually takes for promotions as a pilot? I know it depends a lot on performance, but just a general timeline would be cool.

From stuff I've been reading, it seems like most people are ensigns until they get winged, then are JGs for a couple years in the fleet, then hit LT by the end of their commitment. I'm just curious for how pay goes throughout a Navy career.

Also, on average, how long does it take from the time you apply for OCS until you actually show up? I have to get PRK, which I'm getting when I turn 21, and I'm really curious as to how long I will probably be out of school after graduation (which is a year after I turn 21) until I can go to OCS.

Thanks guys.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Ok, the first thing you have to realize, is that the first two promotions are automatic. Wipe your nose right, and you'll see LT. You make LTJG at the 2 year point, winged or not. I know pilots who picked up JG before getting their wings. Then 2 years later, you'll make LT. Again, don't smoke any weed or try to kill anyone, and you'll make LT. Once you make LT is where the fun begins, because around the 10 year point is where you'll go up for LCDR, and that's really the first promotion where performance matters.

Also, hitting LT by the end of the commitment? Well, the pilot commitment is 8 years after getting your wings, so that would really blow if you had to wait 10 years to make LT.

Fred

Two years from commissioning to LtJG, two years from JG to Lt. (those are automatic) If you promote normally it's six years from Lt. to LCDR, five years from LCDR to CDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.