• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Promotion Rates as a Naval Aviator

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The MWR finances also helped kill a lot of the flying clubs. Instead of handling their finances in-house, they have to turn over their profits to MWR and when they have capital expenses then they need to ask for the funds. That's not really great when a club airplane needs heavy maintenance.

I dunno... although the last I heard, the MWR boat rentals around Pensacola are still a good deal.

Pags

N/A
pilot
As an ultimate destination, no CSGs anymore (can't speak to lone wolf SWO mobiles)......but multiple CSGs in the last few years have spent significant time in the Med.
Yeah, the ARG I was with as a MIDN spent 2mo basically getting bombed in ports throughout the med as opposed to hanging out in a CVOA bombing bad guys. There just weren't any shitheads to bomb back then. The Cole bombing was still a few months away and 9/11 was a year away. Desert Storm and the Balkan thing were ancient memories. Occasionally a CVBG would go bomb Iraq for Saddam shooting an SA-X at a southern watch flight but that was it.

Birdbrain

pilot
I dunno... although the last I heard, the MWR boat rentals around Pensacola are still a good deal.
Can confirm on those boat deals. On more than one occasion we took a sunny summer Saturday to nurse hangovers on the "big lagoon".

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
The MWR finances also helped kill a lot of the flying clubs.
Is that why the flying clubs are gone?? Jesus. Talk about salt in the wound, the long-gone "flying club" is still a course rules landmark at NASNI (and a shitty one at that since there's no airplanes left to mark the location). Add this to the list of why I'm getting out. :(

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Is that why the flying clubs are gone?? Jesus. Talk about salt in the wound, the long-gone "flying club" is still a course rules landmark at NASNI (and a shitty one at that since there's no airplanes left to mark the location). Add this to the list of why I'm getting out. :(
It's a big pain in the neck as far as running the one at Eglin, according to a few if my friends (Eglin is one of the yet still successful clubs). I'm pretty sure MWR is MWR, regardless of branch of service.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It's a big pain in the neck as far as running the one at Eglin, according to a few if my friends (Eglin is one of the yet still successful clubs). I'm pretty sure MWR is MWR, regardless of branch of service.
Pax still has a flying club but it seems like it's continually hanging on by a thread. I think they had some major airworthiness or insurance issues a few years back that almost killed them.

Back when I was in college NAS Atlanta had a flying club that had two T-34Bs that you could rent. Had some friends/LTs who were checked out in them who gave me my first exposure to aviation outside of the airlines.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Pax still has a flying club but it seems like it's continually hanging on by a thread. I think they had some major airworthiness or insurance issues a few years back that almost killed them.

Back when I was in college NAS Atlanta had a flying club that had two T-34Bs that you could rent. Had some friends/LTs who were checked out in them who gave me my first exposure to aviation outside of the airlines.

Some of my first hours outside of an airliner were in USNA flying club T-34Bs in the late 90's. They were pretty pricey to rent back then at $65 an hour wet... You could rent one of their C-152's for $25 an hour wet. Ten percent discount if you paid for a 10 hour block!