• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Problems with Application Submission..

jmiller82

I don't want to sound critical or ungrateful, but I have had it lately with the recruiters from my local NRD (I won't mention the specific NRD)! I have waited over 212 days for my first submission of my package, and my package is being submitted to Millington for the second time. I was a non-select for Intel the first time around. However, I was told by one of the recruiters that I was only submitted for Intel, and not for any of my other choices (IW and PAO). Now, with the latest "push" to get NFO's commissioned, I have resubmitted, only to find that my package has been sitting this entire time at the recruiter's office. I received notification on 7 April of non-select status and faxed all neccesary documents by 10 April to my recruiter for designator preference change (NFO). My father, a retired Navy officer of 23 years, called the recruiter's CO twice, just to rattle their cages. We have also called CNRC Millington to let them know of the recruiter's flounderings and how things have been handled.
I just received a call stating that now my package will be submitted to Millington under all three communities. One of the statements (moreovever and excuse) that I heard was that that, "To tell you the truth, your GPA and your (ASTB) scores are not that great. It's very competitive." My question is this: How can someone judge a package that has not been submitted? Also, I was not aware that a recruiter actually sat on the board at Millington. And latsly, why was my package never sent on or around 10 April? I was under the impression it had ALREADY been sent.
I'm writing this to ask anyone if they have been going through similar experiences. Also, was I right in contacting CNRC, or should I have just let it lie? I have not heard back from CNRC and the CO of the NRD I am working with is nowhere to be found. I get voicemail after voicemail when I try to contact them. It seems to me that this command is disfunctional at the least and needs a change of attitude. I am only one person knocking at the door trying to gain a commission (and I have help with my father's experience & knowledge, LOR's from flag officers, etc..). I can only imagine how intimidating it is for someone with no knowledge at all of how the "system works." Any thoughts on this?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
j_m74 said:
I don't want to sound critical or ungrateful, but I have had it lately with the recruiters from my local NRD (I won't mention the specific NRD)! I have waited over 212 days for my first submission of my package, and my package is being submitted to Millington for the second time. I was a non-select for Intel the first time around. However, I was told by one of the recruiters that I was only submitted for Intel, and not for any of my other choices (IW and PAO). Now, with the latest "push" to get NFO's commissioned, I have resubmitted, only to find that my package has been sitting this entire time at the recruiter's office. I received notification on 7 April of non-select status and faxed all neccesary documents by 10 April to my recruiter for designator preference change (NFO). My father, a retired Navy officer of 23 years, called the recruiter's CO twice, just to rattle their cages. We have also called CNRC Millington to let them know of the recruiter's flounderings and how things have been handled.
I just received a call stating that now my package will be submitted to Millington under all three communities. One of the statements (moreovever and excuse) that I heard was that that, "To tell you the truth, your GPA and your (ASTB) scores are not that great. It's very competitive." My question is this: How can someone judge a package that has not been submitted? Also, I was not aware that a recruiter actually sat on the board at Millington. And latsly, why was my package never sent on or around 10 April? I was under the impression it had ALREADY been sent.
I'm writing this to ask anyone if they have been going through similar experiences. Also, was I right in contacting CNRC, or should I have just let it lie? I have not heard back from CNRC and the CO of the NRD I am working with is nowhere to be found. I get voicemail after voicemail when I try to contact them. It seems to me that this command is disfunctional at the least and needs a change of attitude. I am only one person knocking at the door trying to gain a commission (and I have help with my father's experience & knowledge, LOR's from flag officers, etc..). I can only imagine how intimidating it is for someone with no knowledge at all of how the "system works." Any thoughts on this?

Very sorry you have had such a bad experience. Even without knowing all the details, if it is as you say, then there are problems in that NRD Officer Programs Office. Under the circumstance, I certainly don't think you are out of line contacting the NRD CO. And while you might have called CNRC out of frustration, you proably talked to the wrong guys. If you talked to the guys on the board, they really could not care less how you were treated. I am sure they have enough apps before them. They are not going to bother trying to encourage a recruiter in the field to forward just one more. When this is all said and done, if not sooner, your call, you should write the CNRC IG with specific details.

Some things to keep in mid. You did not pass on any of your stats. Honestly, if a guy is not competitive a recruiter will try to discourage an application. And yes, the recruiter has a very good idea what will get by the board. You say how can they discount an app when they haven't even seen it? Well, if you tell me that you have a 2.3 GPA in General Business and are 25 years old I can say your chances of selection are nearly nonexistent. No need to see the complete app with your neighbors and father's friends saying how great you are or how you coached YMCA youth sports for 3 years. Recent DWIs, or other problems with alcohol, drug use besides long ago pot, the list is endless. No need to see the rest of the app. Hopefully none of that sounds like you. Still, you get the point. Now if the recruiter truely thinks you are not comptetitive, he has only three options. 1- He can convince you to go away, that didn't work. 2- He can "field reject" you, an official procedure that takes some effort and puts the spotlight on the recruiter. Most recruiters don't do that unless the guy is really wacked out. 3- Submit the app and let the board do their job. I suspect that option three was the best recourse in your case. Maybe they deemed you a low priority and it got lost. No excuse. But it is simply not proper to hold anyones application just because they think they are not competitive. If you apply there has to be an official determination, select, non select, field reject. It just doesn't go away. Sorry, this has happened. Good luck

jmiller82

Wink,

Thanks for the info.. Yes, the information and circumstances I mentioned above are all true. I spoke with a CNRC officer today (later on) and apparently their computer system is down (until around Thursday), so they can be of no help. When I tried to contact the CO/XO of the NRD, I was sent to admin and then redirected to the secretary of the CO/XO. There was no voicemail or opportunity to reach either the secretary or the CO/XO, and they didn't pick up (I tried calling three times - 1200, 1300, 1415). I wasn't even able to contact anyone in the Officer Programs recruiting area. Anyway, my point is that apparently there is a command or structural problem with this NRD. Suppose I had wanted to inquire (for the first time) about officer programs today - I would have been discouraged that nobody answered. I hate to say this, but I am getting the feeling that the recruiters that I am dealing with are either not motivated or are nearing the end of their enlistment period and don't care - out of the four recruiters I've dealt with, three are "on leave this week." On another note, I find it very difficult to relate to an individual that is explaining officer opportunities when they are enlisted or have very little experience themselves in that community. I was wondering if it is normal procedure for enlisted personnel to be in charge of recruiting potential officers. I don't want to come off as an elitist or give the impression that I feel I am better or higher or whatever, but it just seems like they lack the motivation or drive that is required to finish the job.
In regards to my personal application info, I am a pretty straight forward candidate: 2.9 GPA from Florida State University (B.S. Political Science & Public Admin.); 48 OAR, 5, 5, 5. Recommendations include 0-8, 0-6, two former employers (one in college & one more recent), and a former professor, all of which were exemplary. I am 23 years old, married, with no drug use or alcohol/substance abuse. I initially submitted for Intel and got non-selected.. I still have yet to hear what happened to the other communities (Information Warfare & Public Affairs Officer) that I was apparently submitted for.
Again, I don't want to sound like I am a whiner (because I feel like I am starting to sound like one), but I am a bit fed up with the situation. Should I try to contact another recruiter and restart the application? I understand there really aen't any "quotas" involved with officer program recruiting, but isn't there some sort of oversight to ensure that the recruiters are pushing the candidates along? I've done everything short of holding their hand and typing the recruiter-specific information for them. Let me know if you have some more insight..

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The NRD does have a quota of their share of the national goal. They, the CO down to the recuiters, are evaluated on how many guys they put into the Navy in the various programs.

The CNRC computers were down for a few days. That is no BS. I was told today though that they are back up.

There are a number of senior enlisted guys handingly officer programs recruiting these days. They may not be able to give first hand info about every facet of officer life or career progression, but there is no reason they can not provide enough information to satisfy the average applicant. The few enlisted guys I know that have recruited officers have done a fine job. When I was the OIC of a recruting actitivity I had an E-6 that recruited MDs. He wasn't even a Corpsman. Yet he had no problem relating to those highly educated applicants or explaining the Medical Corps to them.

I think you numbers are a little weak, but certainly worth running up the flag pole. Don't expect anything from PAO. They select just about 3 guys a year for that program and it is currently filled. SWO is full and Intel is full, can't know it's status when you app went in. Just a few NFO and pilot jobs left. IW board does not meet very frequently so you may just have missed one and have to wait awhile. You are young enough to get a couple reapplications. You can also resubmitt sooner then with a reapplication and you don't have to go through all the forms again. If you are nonselect, talk to your recruiter about resubmitting.

saltpeter

The 2.9 in a non-technical degree is the killer. You may want to inquire into the Army, seriously, you have a very good chance. Although with the Navy, there's alot of guys and gals that apply. The rec. from an 08 is impressive though.

jmiller82

Yeah,
I've already taken the ASTB twice.. I only improved a little (45 - 48). As for the enlisted recruiters recruiting for officers, I have no problem with it, except that when I ask about a certain minor detail, such as how the first tour will be, officer responsibilities during flight school (watch, etc.), and general pay, I am either told "I'll have to check on it," in which I never hear back from them, or I am given a generic packet that is outdated. Honestly most of the info I have found has been on my own or through friends or acquaintences and most of it has been online. I'm going to try and contact one of the processors tomorrow to see if they can submit the package, since it is ready again. I just can't understand why it is still being held or not submitted if I have completed everything and they say there is nothing more that I need to submit. I was told this afternoon that they just needed to change a PORT sheet and the changes would take effect. Why wasn't that done a month ago?! Oh well.. I am going to cross my fingers and hope for the best.. I can always resubmit with a stronger app if necessary.. Thanks for the help guys!

jmiller82

Update..

I talked to a Navy Inspector General today.. Didn't realize it had gone that far! I was actually impressed that the chain of command actually carried things through.. Anyway, apparently CNRC is STILL DOWN - but only for those new applicants and those waiting on Pro-Rec' and Final Select. I guess they are still unable to accept any new apps until they finish with those that have orders to OCS already.. As for the major goof up with my NRD, there are six officer recruiters in the house this week, with two out at colleges/universities, three in training, and one returning from leave. Apparently the two guys that were tasked with manning the recruiting tasks (which were slim to none for this past week) did not have access to any prior applicants (worthless)! Everything has been fixed on my end - just waiting for something called a PORT sheet from Millington, which will take a while with the current system down status. I heard from a CNRC officer today that my recruiters might actually be looking out for me - by sitting on my app until the FY07 goals arrive, they might be timing it to where I start OCS as one of the first billets to open in FY07. Kind of risky if you ask me.. Meanwhile, I have solidified my package further by adding two more recommendation letters - one from my congressman (a family friend) and another from a former air wing CO (friend of my father). Hopefully those will assist me..

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
About the sitting on your package til the new FY opens up, don't worry as much about that. The first board of a fiscal year generally has more billets open than boards later in the year. My package was held until the first board of FY06, and I later learned that the board I was selected at had more than twice the number of billets as the next one. Timing is everything. Good luck to ya.