• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Problem at MEPS friday.

JFL12

I was disqualified due to "retaining hardware in a support joint." I have 6 pins and a plate in my left ankle on both sides (shattered it playing volleyball long story). I know my OR will have to put in for a waiver, but I am just wondering how likely it is to get one with that injury?

Second question is if I cannot get the waiver will having the pins and plates removed improve my situation? This was the only problem I had. I will talk to my OR tomorrow, but I am pretty nervous about this, just wanted some incite. Thanks.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I was disqualified due to "retaining hardware in a support joint." I have 6 pins and a plate in my left ankle on both sides (shattered it playing volleyball long story). I know my OR will have to put in for a waiver, but I am just wondering how likely it is to get one with that injury?

Second question is if I cannot get the waiver will having the pins and plates removed improve my situation? This was the only problem I had. I will talk to my OR tomorrow, but I am pretty nervous about this, just wanted some incite. Thanks.

if you decide to go nrotc instead of ocs, you wont go through MEPS, you'd go through DoDMERB. i mention this because there's a deputy director of DoDMERB answering questions on the serviceacademyforums.com site you might also want to ask about this also:
http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

CptApollo

I have you beat. I also broke my left ankle and have 9 screws and a plate on the left side and 2 screws on the right. The military normally likes you to take it out, but most doctors recommend you just keep it unless it bothers you. I'm scheduled for MEPS in late Sept (applying for Marine OCC next Summer) but my OSO told me just to go back to the doctor who did the surgery for a follow up and get cleared by him in writing for full activity, military training, and what not. So my waiver will hopefully be taken care of before I even show up.

If you want, I'll let you know how it goes for me. If I can get a waiver with more hardware than you, than it'd make sense that you should be good to go too.

maxnharry

I have you all beat. I have a 14" plate, 8" plate and small plate across my ankle with 20 screws to hold all that crap in and am bedridden as I wait for it to heal (and probably why I am on Air Warriors instead of being outside).

MEPS is a very round peg in round hole place. I got held up because I had had a plantar wart removed. MEPS wanted it in writing that it wasn't cancerous (?!!?). I got the doctor to write a note, was cleared and it was never mentioned again. YMMV

MasterBates

MEPS does a good job of instilling a fear of mentioning ANYTHING to medical personnel unless you are forced to by either direct questioning or imminent death into future aviators.