• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryanb5005

Im a senior in HS, and will be needing to get PRK surgery if i wish to persue a career in naval aviation. By having PRK and getting a waiver, am i considered on the same level as other SNAs without surgery? or is this going to give me problems down the road (ie not being allowed to fly fighters even though i qualify in every other area)

thanks

FlyFast

I'm a PRK guy, who just got in as a SNA. Things are real slow now, so it didn't seem to hurt my ap. I just had to jump through a few hoops. L:ike getting a waiver, its not a problem.

jaerose

FlyFast,

Did you have PRK before, or after you got an OCS slot? What is the process for getting permission to have it done if needed?

JR

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thats what I want to know too jaerose.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
I too want the answer to this. If it is as simple as getting the surgery now, then getting the waiver for it a few years down the road, then I'm doing it today!

FlyFast

I had the surgery BEFORE my package was sent in. I had to due to the waiver. The surgery must come first. Or that is the way I understand it. It does make since that way. Patrick

tylerfj24

I want to have the surgery as well, but im afraid of getting it before I go into the Navy. What are the requirements of the waiver, I mean does everyone get aproved? So I should get the eye surgery now, or wait till I sign on?

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Hey Guys! This is the best site for the info:
http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/PRK/refractive_surgery_information.htm

Also, check out my post about this, under the Misc forum titled "Vision Requirements."

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

jneagl01

I completed OCS this summer and just had PRK in december, the only effect it will have on me is push back tbs 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.