• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin

specifics are this. you need to be medically qualified and able to accept your commission within 3 months of selection. you have to wait 3 months (or 6 depending) post prk to be medically quald. so do the math- you need to have prk done at least a while before you submit your app (how long before depends on whether you are a 3 or 6 monther). this is very important (it's what screwed me the first time around).

frenchco

Im going Marine aviation and I am getting LasEk (which is a modified version of PRK and my OSO told me was acceptable) on October 7. I have really bad eyes and can't even submit my package until I get my vision corrected. Unfortunately I am one of those who have to wait the 6 months before being medically qualified (-7.25 and -6.75 diopters). I am getting it done in Lansing, Mi and it is running me $3000. Wish me luck!

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I called Pensacola and they told me no, that LASEK wasn't acceptable (yes I spelled it out and everything). They're only doing straight up old-school PRK. I know it sucks because instead of saving your epithelium you've got to be in pain while it grows back. I expalined to them it was modified PRK but they told me it wouldn't be acceptable, though how they would ever be able to tell is beyond me.

frenchco

I have a document that my OSO gave me. It is titled: SNA/SNFO Accession PRK Worksheet and one of the things it says in it is...PRK-including LASEK variant- is the only authorized method of CRS(corneal refractive surgery).LASIK is prohibited...Everyone says something different. It is all so confusing. What I really don't understand is why they wouldn't accept LASEK because LASEK is PRK. They just put the layer they cut off back on.

Daedalus

Frenchco, My opinion, unless you get something in writing about LASEK, get prk. It is the same thing, and it hurts a bit more, but it is better to have the pain than rejection on a nonsense technicality.

grose3

pilot
When I applied for my waiver over the summer, the LtCdr down in Pennsacola originally said that since I had "LASEK" that I was ineligible and NPQ'd forever. He obviously was misinformed, and after a great deal of diplomacy and wrangling my waiver was finally granted. Scared the crap out of me though!

frenchco

grose3- so you did get the waiver after having LASEK? I have something in writing saying that it is acceptable and the doctor thinks that it would yeild the best results so I am fairly certain that I am going with LASEK. Ill keep everyone informed with my results...Wish me luck!

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
good luck. I saw that document you're talking about by the way and P'cola still told me no. But if you're certain you can get the waiver for it go ahead.

Daedalus

Did anyone use the Visx Star S3 for their zaping if so, would you reccomend it, what were your pre and post results? Is is approved/ is there a waqvefront function for this laser?

NavyOCS

What if I were to get PRK right after OCS this summer. Could I possibly switch to SNA? That would give me almost 6 months before going to TBS and a full year before flight school. What are the chances?

x-wing

you guys think that around 2007 -2008 prk waivers wont be that much trouble get? Maybe a new kind of surgery will be out?

stevew

Who knows what will be in 2007-2008. The Navy/MC approve these things based on their safety and accuracy. Right now only PRK is waiverable. Before PRK was waivered RK was waivered, now RK will NPQ you. LASIK is not waiverable I think because it is relativly new and they are concerned with some safety issues with it. In the future who knows what techniques will be around and what they will be waivering.

4thgen

ladies and gentlemen,
I need some help in locating a respectable facility that performs PRK in Northeast Ohio or anywhere near Canton, OH. If anyone has any advice or contact information for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.