• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK question

orbitocs

Okay guys, I've read through the NOMI literature on vision requirements and waiver guidelines and would like to make sure I understand it all correctly. I'll also be asking a recruiter the same questions but would like to get yall's opinion also. Here goes.

I go to have a consultation with a PRK doc about getting the procedure done. She tells me i have a refractive error of -1.00 in my left eye and -1.75 in my right. She says that my left eye does not require enough correction to make me a viable candidate for the procedure and if she were to only correct the right eye, I probably wouldn't see alot of improvement in overall visual acuity since I'm left eye dominant.

My question, assuming I have 20/40 or better acuity in my left eye and I have PRK performed on only my right eye, improving it to 20/40 or better, will I still be able to pass NAMI if I am correctable to 20/20 (glasses or contacts). Again, I've read through the guidelines and I think I would be okay but I may be wrong. Has anyone else had a similiar situation?

Thanks for the help

Jeff29

Science Project
You must be 20/20 uncorrected to receive the PRK waiver. So, according to my understanding, in your PRK eye, you would need to be 20/20 to get the waiver (once you have received the waiver I believe you only have to maintain 20/40 correctable to 20/20); in you non-PRK you would just need 20/40 correctable to 20/20.

Out of curiosity, what is your current acuity on the 20/20 (Snellen) scale in each of your eyes?

orbitocs

Just got of

Alright, thats what I thought. I was confused on the part about the PRK waiver. I wasn't sure if it applied to just that eye or both even though I only had/will have it on one eye.

Right now I am 20/40 in my left and 20/120 in my right. It sucks that I have no margin of error in my left but since its untreatable I'll just have to hope my vision doesn't get worse from now until. I'm going to try contacting a recruiter again to make sure I have all this right.

Thanks for the clarification.

Jeff29

Science Project
It sucks that I have no margin of error in my left but since its untreatable I'll just have to hope my vision doesn't get worse from now until. I'm going to try contacting a recruiter again to make sure I have all this right.
It's actually not untreatable. It's just not common; most people are fairly happy with 20/40, and generally it's not worth the risk. My guess is that your doc said it's untreatable because she has never done it, or does not have a laser to do it. (I had a retreatment surgery on my eyes when I was -0.25 and seeing 20/15)

I would probably try to get by without surgery in the 20/40 eye, but regardless, you might want to do some surgeon shopping. My guess is that in Maryland, you will be able to find plenty of doctors who have actually worked with military personnel.

Jeff29

Science Project
Jeff29,
Where are you getting this from? Which policy? Thanks.

-ea6bflyr ;)

http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/nomi/nami/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Ophthalmology.pdf

Under Section 12.15 CORNEAL REFRACTIVE SURGERY (PRK/LASIK)

WAIVER:
PRK:
General guidelines:
1. A waiver may be submitted no earlier than:
a. 3 months for myopia less than -6.00 diopters spherical equivalent (SE)
b. 6 months for myopia greater than or equal to -6.00 diopters SE
c. 6 months for hyperopia (SE) measured under cycloplegia
2. Visual Acuity - each eye with or without corrective lenses must be:
a. Class I - 20/20-0/10 letters

b. Class II and III - 20/20-3/10 letters or better
c. Corrective lenses must be worn while flying if needed to achieve the VA
standard

"20/20-0/10 letters" means that you have to read all 10 letters on the 20/20 line with 0 mistakes (i.e. 20/20-2/10 would mean that you could miss two of the letters).

The rest of the requirements can be found through the link above. My understanding is that this is what is required to get the waiver. Once you get the waiver, you only have to meet the 20/40 correctable to 20/20 requirements. I would definitely verify this if I were going through the process.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jeff29 said:
You must be 20/20 uncorrected to receive the PRK waiver. So, according to my understanding, in your PRK eye, you would need to be 20/20 to get the waiver (once you have received the waiver I believe you only have to maintain 20/40 correctable to 20/20); in you non-PRK you would just need 20/40 correctable to 20/20.

Under Section 12.15 CORNEAL REFRACTIVE SURGERY (PRK/LASIK)
WAIVER:
PRK:
General guidelines:
1. A waiver may be submitted no earlier than:
a. 3 months for myopia less than -6.00 diopters spherical equivalent (SE)
b. 6 months for myopia greater than or equal to -6.00 diopters SE
c. 6 months for hyperopia (SE) measured under cycloplegia
2. Visual Acuity - each eye with or without corrective lenses must be:
a. Class I - 20/20-0/10 letters

b. Class II and III - 20/20-3/10 letters or better
c. Corrective lenses must be worn while flying if needed to achieve the VA
standard

I'm sorry Jeff these are not equal. The requirement is 20/20 corrected or uncorrected.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Jeff29

Science Project
I'm sorry Jeff these are not equal. The requirement is 20/20 corrected or uncorrected.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Now don't I feel dumb. I swear it was different when I was doing this a few years ago. Good catch.

What is interesting is that it doesn't mention anything about your uncorrected vision. I assume it is 20/40.

orbitocs

Great news

Alright, I just got back from a visit with Dr Grochmal, who came highly recommended from several on this board. He says that I can, in fact, have the procedure done on both eyes and it would probably be for the best to do that. I'm very happy with this news and the fact that the cost for both eyes will be $3300. I was going to pay around $2300 for one eye at TLC even after an insurance discount.

Thanks for y'alls help. I'll post a followup after the surgery is done.

Jeff29

Science Project
Good Luck. Make sure he gets an accurate measurement of your dilated pupils before surgery and that his laser can accomodate your pupil size. :)

orbitocs

Roger that.

That was one of the first things I asked him. I have about 6mm pupils which he says is about the limit. The laser treatment is a 6 down to 8mm treatment meaning it corrects to 6mm then tapers down to 8mm.