• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK + physical/waiver info

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Just so you know, when you go in to get your PRK waiver or during a physical, you need to be off your topical steroid/anti inflamms and have done your 3 month checkup.

If you don't, you won't get the waiver or you will get NPQ'd.

This makes the "3 month wait time" a little unrealistic because doctors are going to prescribe you to take your steroids for up to 3 months at a heavy dose (atleast mine did) and then you need to taper off after that.

ALSO, when I got my eyes checked my eye pressure was 28 (dont know the unit, is also waiverable), the cutoff is 22.

Before surgery I was at 13, and according to the eye doc... if anything... PRK should lower eye pressure b/c you are removing some surface. Because of this, he checked me out for glaucoma (negative)

I was told this could be a result of the topical steroids.

Just so you know, plan ahead

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How long ago did you get your PRK? It typically takes around 6 months before you are good-to-go with the last three months steriod free.

-ea6bflyr ;)

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Just so you know, when you go in to get your PRK waiver or during a physical, you need to be off your topical steroid/anti inflamms and have done your 3 month checkup.

If you don't, you won't get the waiver or you will get NPQ'd.

This makes the "3 month wait time" a little unrealistic because doctors are going to prescribe you to take your steroids for up to 3 months at a heavy dose (atleast mine did) and then you need to taper off after that.

ALSO, when I got my eyes checked my eye pressure was 28 (dont know the unit, is also waiverable), the cutoff is 22.

Before surgery I was at 13, and according to the eye doc... if anything... PRK should lower eye pressure b/c you are removing some surface. Because of this, he checked me out for glaucoma (negative)

I was told this could be a result of the topical steroids.

Just so you know, plan ahead

The steroids are known to cause issues with eye pressure (glaucoma) when taken over a long period of time. Depends on the steroids used as well. FML tends to be the least evasive and doesnt penetrate the cornea as well (according to my Doc :indiffere) When i go in for my checkups, my docs are pretty dilligent about checking my eye pressure because of this.

Good luck.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
How long ago did you get your PRK? It typically takes around 6 months before you are good-to-go with the last three months steriod free.

-ea6bflyr ;)

3 months... wish I knew all this info prior to surgery which is why I am sharing it. I thought I would be good to go back to OCS this summer.. looks like its not gonna be that way.

The steroids are known to cause issues with eye pressure (glaucoma) when taken over a long period of time. Depends on the steroids used as well. FML tends to be the least evasive and doesnt penetrate the cornea as well (according to my Doc ) When i go in for my checkups, my docs are pretty dilligent about checking my eye pressure because of this.

Good luck.

Are you a FML salesman? Everytime I talk to you your pushing FML ;)

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
3 months... wish I knew all this info prior to surgery which is why I am sharing it. I thought I would be good to go back to OCS this summer.. looks like its not gonna be that way.

Are you a FML salesman? Everytime I talk to you your pushing FML ;)

No, I just actually did my research on the medication I was perscribed to take.:icon_wink Im paranoid about glaucoma so I had to have my Doc "sell" it too me as well.

Are they making you get the waiver finalized before you apply. I was told that all of the waiver work would be put together when I go for my flight phys after seniors.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
No, I just actually did my research on the medication I was perscribed to take.:icon_wink Im paranoid about glaucoma so I had to have my Doc "sell" it too me as well.

Are they making you get the waiver finalized before you apply. I was told that all of the waiver work would be put together when I go for my flight phys after seniors.

This was a flight physical at Jax

When I had my contract before with another OSO office, I didn't have to get a flight physical (like you)

But with my current one, they send us to Jacksonville and we go through one. Did you just have to go to MEPS or did you have to get a flight phys?

I dont understand why some people do and some dont

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
This was a flight physical at Jax

When I had my contract before with another OSO office, I didn't have to get a flight physical (like you)

But with my current one, they send us to Jacksonville and we go through one. Did you just have to go to MEPS or did you have to get a flight phys?

I dont understand why some people do and some dont

I get sent for my flight physical after seniors but before i commission. I had to go to MEPS, get a cyclo and be measured before I could apply though