• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK out of the question - what are my options?

Jeff29

Science Project
Just took the liberty of bolding another important part. While there's no limit in visual acuity, there is in refractive error. Check your prescription...if it's highter than +/-8.00 then you're SOL.
This is true. However, unless he has a ridiculous astigmatism, this shouldn't be a problem. From my understanding, 20/400 will rarely be at -8.00.

Jeff29

Science Project
Sweet, thanks guys :D And as for a recruiter, I'm not sure about that one. I AM already enlisted, but wasn't sure if an officer recruiter was necessary. I'm probably gonna shoot for STA-21. ;)
Even better. Go see the eye doc on base, tell him what you are planning on doing, tell him your concerns about the scar, and ask him to check it out. After you get the results you could either go find a flight surgeon and talk to him, or contact NAMI to find out if there is a problem (the eye doc may even be willing to help you contact NAMI - If you proceed with applying for NFO he'll probably have to do that at some point anyway).

You may get the suggestion to not tell anyone about it and just move forward and see if anyone catches it. However, if this is actually documented and is easily seen during an eye exam, my advise would be to just get it all checked out now.

el douge

This one time at band camp...
Jeff,

I believe they are around 8.5 mm. Large enough that the doc recommended against any type of corrective eye surgery. It seems like there is a lot of squawking over the Soft Contact Lens Waiver .. that's on hold for Navy pilot applicants, I take it? I've heard that the Marines, however, are making that waiver available to pilot applicants ...

Heavy.

I had PRK done about 9 months ago and I also have very large pupils. Mine are 8.7 in the left and 8.4 in the right and I was able to get the sugery. Although the surgeon you looked into might not have the same laser that my eye doc had. The laser I was cut by was from Germany. I forget what the name of it was. My eye doc told me he can cut up to 9mm pupils. Keep looking. Don't give up yet.

EL

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
My eye doc told me he can cut up to 9mm pupils. Keep looking. Don't give up yet.

If looks could kill, what would be the stopping power of your eyes?

istockphoto_1192176_9mm_bullet_lighter.jpg

Tex-41

Just gott kick myself in the ass and do it..

...so yea. I'll be leaving on Saturday for a det for a few weeks, but I will get it checked out as soon as I get back. I do have an astigmatism, but i don't think it is THAT bad. Just always been a dream of mine to fly... or be flown around :D (I know the NFO's out there will jump on this one). Anyhoo, I'll let ya know what happens. If that gets cleared and all is good to go... well.... then I need to just start this thing.

Oh.. and just wanted to give some kudos to this site and it's members. I've found a LOT of information not just on my situation but becoming an officer in general, what I should do, where I should go, and lots of invaluable experienced advice. Thanks to all. And um..... 2 kudos :D