• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK out of the question - what are my options?

heavylifter

Just curious .. are there any branches out there accepting pilot applicants with poor eyesight (20/400 in my case) correctable to 20/20? My pupils are the size of dinner plates so PRK is out of the question! I checked into it awhile ago and it looked like PRK was the only way, but maybe I missed something? I'm not dead set on flying "X aircraft for Y branch" or anything like that. Rotors or wings, its all gravy ... Thanks bros!

Jeff29

Science Project
Just curious .. are there any branches out there accepting pilot applicants with poor eyesight (20/400 in my case) correctable to 20/20? My pupils are the size of dinner plates so PRK is out of the question! I checked into it awhile ago and it looked like PRK was the only way, but maybe I missed something? I'm not dead set on flying "X aircraft for Y branch" or anything like that. Rotors or wings, its all gravy ... Thanks bros!

How large are your pupils? If PRK is out of the question because of pupil size, then LASIK will not work either.

heavylifter

Jeff,

I believe they are around 8.5 mm. Large enough that the doc recommended against any type of corrective eye surgery. It seems like there is a lot of squawking over the Soft Contact Lens Waiver .. that's on hold for Navy pilot applicants, I take it? I've heard that the Marines, however, are making that waiver available to pilot applicants ...

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Pilot looks to be a bit of a far shot, but hey, you can still rock two anchors as a NFO.

Jeff29

Science Project
Jeff,

I believe they are around 8.5 mm. Large enough that the doc recommended against any type of corrective eye surgery. It seems like there is a lot of squawking over the Soft Contact Lens Waiver .. that's on hold for Navy pilot applicants, I take it? I've heard that the Marines, however, are making that waiver available to pilot applicants ...

A possibility: The Alcon Ladarvision 4000. If I had gone to a doc who used this laser, I'd still be flying.

http://www.bestvision.com/about/about_ladarvision.php?about=ladar
http://www.lasikeyeinstitute.com/ladarvision.html#
http://www.lasikeyeinstitute.com/expandedzone.html
http://www.ladarvision.com/

I'm not sure about the contact lens waiver. In your situation, even if surgery is an option, I would take the contact lens option (if available) over PRK.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
Standards and limitations for corrective eye surgery are constantly changing. Chances are that what limits you now won't in the future, if you have time to wait. I was 20/400 as well and PRK worked out fine, but I didn't have the problem with pupil size that you have.

Tex-41

I have kind of the same situation, heavy. I have around 20/400, but can't get lasik or prk due to a scar. But I've been researching requirements for NFO. I know the req's aren't as stringent as pilot, but are they that relaxed? I mean... can a 20/400 with NO chance of correction (other than contacts or glasses) get into a NFO seat? :confused: I'm guessing no

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I have kind of the same situation, heavy. I have around 20/400, but can't get lasik or prk due to a scar. But I've been researching requirements for NFO. I know the req's aren't as stringent as pilot, but are they that relaxed? I mean... can a 20/400 with NO chance of correction (other than contacts or glasses) get into a NFO seat? :confused: I'm guessing no

This is something you can easily find by searching.

Tex-41

I know... :( I've just done a lot of searching throughout this site and online and all I've found is "go get Lasik" or "get PRK, it worked for me". But since that is not an option for me, I'm pretty sure my chances are shot. Either way, thanks for your input. :D

Jeff29

Science Project
I know... :( I've just done a lot of searching throughout this site and online and all I've found is "go get Lasik" or "get PRK, it worked for me". But since that is not an option for me, I'm pretty sure my chances are shot. Either way, thanks for your input. :D

From the U.S Navy Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide
Revision Date: 13 March 2007

http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/nomi...dfs/Waiver Guide Complete - 13 March 2007.pdf

Section 1.8 APPLICANT NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICER STANDARDS
Must meet Class I standards, except as follows:
Visual Acuity, Distant and Near: No limit uncorrected. Must correct to 20/20 each eye. If the AFVT or Goodlite letters are used, a score of 7/10 on the 20/20 line constitutes meeting visual acuity requirements.
Refractive Limits: Manifest refraction must not exceed +/-8.00 diopters in any meridian (sum of sphere and cylinder) with astigmatism no greater than -3.00 diopters. Refraction must be recorded in minus cylinder format. Must have no more than 3.50 diopters of anisometropia.

I don't know about the scar. Depending on what that is all about, it may be disqualifying or require a waiver, but I assume that a recruiter could help you get it checked out and help you get an answer.

Immy

NFOs can be corrected to 20/20 from anything as Jeff stated so theoretically you visually qualify for an NFO slot.

Tex-41

Sweet, thanks guys :D And as for a recruiter, I'm not sure about that one. I AM already enlisted, but wasn't sure if an officer recruiter was necessary. I'm probably gonna shoot for STA-21. ;)

phrogpilot73

Sweet, thanks guys :D And as for a recruiter, I'm not sure about that one. I AM already enlisted, but wasn't sure if an officer recruiter was necessary. I'm probably gonna shoot for STA-21. ;)
An officer recruiter is going to know the latest and greatest waivers, etc... Always a good idea to talk to him in addition to your COC, so that way if something starts smelling fishy, you can get someone "in the know" to point you in the right direction.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
From the U.S Navy Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide
Revision Date: 13 March 2007

http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/nomi...dfs/Waiver Guide Complete - 13 March 2007.pdf

Section 1.8 APPLICANT NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICER STANDARDS
Must meet Class I standards, except as follows:
Visual Acuity, Distant and Near: No limit uncorrected. Must correct to 20/20 each eye. If the AFVT or Goodlite letters are used, a score of 7/10 on the 20/20 line constitutes meeting visual acuity requirements.
Refractive Limits: Manifest refraction must not exceed +/-8.00 diopters in any meridian (sum of sphere and cylinder) with astigmatism no greater than -3.00 diopters. Refraction must be recorded in minus cylinder format. Must have no more than 3.50 diopters of anisometropia.

I don't know about the scar. Depending on what that is all about, it may be disqualifying or require a waiver, but I assume that a recruiter could help you get it checked out and help you get an answer.

Just took the liberty of bolding another important part. While there's no limit in visual acuity, there is in refractive error. Check your prescription...if it's highter than +/-8.00 then you're SOL.