• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

hi everybody,

i'm a 21 year old college junior with hopes of becoming a naval aviator. the only problem is my vision doesn't meet the requirements. i'm considering prk, but i don't want to spend the money then find out i'm disqualified for some other reason. my question is, is it possible for me to take the physical and pass everything accept the acuity test, then with this information get the PRK? even then, i know its not guaranteed that i would get a waiver. i am, however, a civil engineering major with a cumulative gpa around 3.6 and have about 10 logged flight hours so would that help at all? i haven't taken the ASTB yet, but i'm sure thats a big part also. Thanks again guys for any info.

-jim

Jared

Welcome to the club Jim. I was in exactly the same position as you 8 months ago. I had prk done in March and I'm waiting for my waiver to come through as we speak. A few other people on this board either have gotten or are waiting on prk waivers too. As far as the physical, you may have to just chance it by having the surgery done, and hope you don't have some as yet undiscovered abnormality. But if you're in good health, and don't think you have anything disqualifying, then you probably don't. In any case, even if you don't make it you'll be able to see.

Jeff29

Science Project
Are there specific things you're worried about?

You could probably get a physical by going in as an applicant for both Pilot and NFO. Then, if you find that the only thing keeping you from pilot is the eyesight, get the PRK and just apply for pilot.

I just got my PRK waiver, and it wasn't much of a problem. I had a very good Flight Surgeon helping me out.

gt0767a

Jim,

I just recently made the decision not to get it done for other reasons. But as it was explained to me that once you get the PRK done you have to wait 3 months afterwards before applying because they need followup documents. I would recommend talking to an officer recruiter and finding out from them.

I agree with others as, long as you don't think you have an ailment that would keep you from being qualified physically I would go ahead and have it done.

Christine

Jeff29

Science Project
To clarify that, you need to wait three months before you will be enrolled in the PRK study which means that they won't actually grant the waiver until that time. The only time requirement relating to your physical is that you have to have two eye exams at least 30 days apart that demonstrate refractive stability. You can find all the details about the policy and program at: http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/PRK/refractive_surgery_information.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.