• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK before applying for BDCP???

wanna_be_pilot

I want to apply for SNA through BCDP but my vision is 20/60 (correctable to 20/20). I want to get the surgery but don't know when. I read the posts reguarding PRK before BDCP and understand that I have to wait 3 to 6 months after surgery and then submit my package. What got me confused was when I recently talked to my OSO, he said to get the surgery and apply without waiting.:confused: Can someone clarify this? I apologize in advance if this question has been ask before. Thanx

I was in your exact same position when I started thinking about applying for BDCP. I had 20/400 vision and not your 20/60, but if you're applying for SNA it's all the same I suppose.

Anyway, I got PRK before applying for BDCP and waited at least 3 months before submitting my app. That being said, I don't believe that you actually need to wait the 3 months (or 6 depending on how bad your eyes are, although you would be in the 3 month category it sounds) before you submit your initial application for recommendation. You do, however, need to wait the 3 months before going to MEPS, which is probably why they say to wait 3 months before sending in your app. There isn't a spot on the application that asks if you have waited the obligatory 3 or 6 months after your surgery for your eyes to stabilize (it only asks if you've ever had eye surgery, to include PRK).

In any event, if you want SNA you will need to get PRK since you will be NPQ with 20/60 vision. I would get it done as soon as possible assuming you have the cash :)

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
Richard is correct in that the 3-6 month wait is specifically before you can be considered medically qualified. However, there's a nice little question on the initial application asking specifically if you have had anything along the lines of PRK, so talk with your recruiter, and equally important, your processor before counting on getting the app in before those 3 months. I didn't submit any MEDDOCS regarding the surgery until I went to MEPS, but I also noted on my application that my surgery was done 6 months before I submitted the package for PROREC.

But if you're trying to figure out when to get the surgery, the application timing will figure itself out (generally, "as soon as possible"). Yes, get it done ASAP. Take the recovery time to do things like study for and take the ASTB. If you find a particularly !@$#-hot surgeon, they'll be booked a month or two out at least. I had to wait 4 weeks for an initial consult. Start finding doctors and making phone calls as soon as you possibly can.

wanna_be_pilot

Thanks again for the replies. I'll get PRK once I have the $$$ Please don't flame me for this but what's MEDDOCS and PROREC?

MEDDOCS are just documents concerning your medical status, like stuff documenting your PRK surgery.

PROREC means professional recommendation, which is what you are hoping to get once you submit your initial application. If the review board likes what they see on your application, they professionaly recommend you (prorec) for whatever designator you are applying for.

nugget81

pilot
I concur with what Richard and mkoch said. I had PRK done after I was pro-rec'd and everything worked out because the planets aligned just right. The application will take you a month or two to put together, so why not spend that time healing? Good luck!