• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK and STA-21

Beefalo

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? Currently my vision disqualifies me for pilot and NFO. I am going to get PRK eventually but was wondering if I could do it after I got selected for STA-21? Or do I have to do it prior?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Beefalo said:
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? Currently my vision disqualifies me for pilot and NFO. I am going to get PRK eventually but was wondering if I could do it after I got selected for STA-21? Or do I have to do it prior?
What is disquallifying about your vision that PRK is going to fix? Your eyes have to be pretty out of whack (from a DV point of view) to be a disquallifying issue. Are you not correctable to 20/20, or something? Just curious.

Brett

Beefalo

My myopia/refraction is -7.75 and -6.75. I am however 20/400 and correctable to 20/20 with contacts. Ive got some leave time after C school and was considering getting it done before I show up to my first command.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was an NROTC instructor, we had one of our STA-21 students and one of our MECEP students get PRK and qualify for SNA. They both had the surgery through the Naval Medicine...but you need to sign up as soon as you get to the NROTC. (Assuming you are a good candidate....you can get screen at the Branch Clinic for PRK...)
ea6bflyr

SAR522

If you are applying under the pilot option for STA-21 then you need to be found physically qualified at the time of selection, but if you are applying under the core option then you can be found physically qualified for a commissioning in the URL and then get PRK later. I was selected this year under the pilot option and I had to pay to get my PRK done several years back. The navy's wait list for the surgery was 3-6 years, so I decided that it would be worth the investment. I would advise you to get the surgery ASAP. Whether the Navy does it or you have to pay out of pocket, you must have it done before getting selected for STA-21, otherwise your selection will be withdrawn.

Beefalo

So If I do CORE I can get PRK after getting selected? Meaning that while im at NSI or attached to a NROTC unit I could get it done? I wouldnt mind doing CORE but does anyone have any good experience with actually getting a aviation slot from it?

hourocket

Bullseye
None
I had a friend that went CORE and he got his eyes done out of pocket while at NROTC, during his 2nd year I believe. HE was going for Pilot but they changed some of the scores or something and he wasnt qualified, so now he is a SWO. So yes you can do it while in NROTC, just do it early and get the paper work together because there is alot to do if you do get pilot/nfo so they can approve your eyes. I think you have to get approval from your CO at NROTC, but that is just formality.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
If your vision is good enough to get commissioned, its good enough for SWO... you just can't be color blind.

My vision before PRK was about the same as yours beefalo... and all I was qualified for was SWO and subs.

Beefalo

Sweet. Looks like ill get it afterwards if I get selected. Aviation would be nice but id be happy just to be an officer.

eye_malfunction

The PRK issue is sort of confusing. I'm not Academy or NROTC, just a regular college kid that has to go OCS. I've been searching but it seems like the people getting PRK waivers are either Academy or NROTC. I have two years left after this school year and I was thinking of getting my PRK done next year but now I'm not so sure since it sounds like I could get the Navy to pay for it.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
I was STA-21 and had PRK done my junior year. The good thing about being active duty at school is you do not get put on a leave of absence. Just do it over a holiday timeframe so you have time to recover without having to worry about school. I did pay for my own surgery after routing a request chit through my COC. It was a lot quicker and well worth the money I paid. I went in Jacksonville, FL and if you want more info, send me a message.

The only bad thing (not bad now) is I still did not qualify for Pilot but NFO rules because I am not a SWO daddy and I still get to fly!!!

Beefalo

How come you didnt qualify for pilot but NFO? Age limit?

Oh yea SWO cant be that bad can it?? It would be nice to get off the carrier sometime and serve on a small boy.

eye_malfunction

hornetframer said:
I was STA-21 and had PRK done my junior year. The good thing about being active duty at school is you do not get put on a leave of absence. Just do it over a holiday timeframe so you have time to recover without having to worry about school. I did pay for my own surgery after routing a request chit through my COC. It was a lot quicker and well worth the money I paid. I went in Jacksonville, FL and if you want more info, send me a message.

The only bad thing (not bad now) is I still did not qualify for Pilot but NFO rules because I am not a SWO daddy and I still get to fly!!!

Thanks for the info.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
I did not qualify for Pilot because I could not pass the depth perception test. The age limit was recently changed to 29 with prior service so I am now not age qualified. I was prior enlisted working aviation with F/A-18C on and off for 8 years and enjoyed almost every minute of it. I wanted to stay aviation and not drive a ship.

Request that you look at reasons to be in aviation post.