• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK After Commsion and before NAMI Physical

Stretch32

I looked around a bit on this topic to see if anybody knows if this can be done. I passed the aviation physical without any problems except my vision is apparently right at 20/40. Its been several months since the physical and now that I'm about to commision I have concerns that once at P-cola I may not be able to pass the eye exam with 20/40 to stay on as a Pilot. I wanted to know if anybody knew anything about getting PRK immediately after commisioning but prior to going to NAMI. I considered having it done myself on the civilian side to avoid wait times. Also, I really would like to avoid any reason to be DQ'd from flying as an SNA. Are things like this waiverable (ie: getting PRK and then waiting 3 months before being waived and starting flight school)? I know you must have a minimum of 20/40 uncorrected to qualify. Any insight?

Just a note, I'm not a prior and was selected SNA in SEPT. Again, I passed all the physicals with 20/30 or 20/40 depending on whose eye chart/screeing was used. The last Navy physical in SEPT gave me problems and that is what now has me concerned.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was 20/40 6 months before OCS and failed the Ishihara plates at MEPS and had to passed the FALANT for color as well as guess half of the circles on the depth perception. At NAMI I was 20/40 in my bad eye and passed the Ishihara plates and depth perception with relative ease.

RELAX. You'll be fine. As soon as you read 20/40 at NAMI and pass the test, your vision can go to 20/100 and you'll still be SNA (up to 20/400, but after 20/100 you start getting restrictions). Your vision won't change in such a short period of time. Just get hydrated, don't drink the day before and get enough sleep. You'll be fine.

UMichfly

pilot
None
I got PRK between commissioning and NAMI but I was definitely a special (insert obligatory image of drooling special Ed here) case. I had 6 months of stash time at my ROTC unit once I got NPQ'ed for pilot so I was able to get PRK and have 3 months to recover before I ever got to P'cola. Once you get down here, the written command policy is that you will not get it while attached to NASC. Bottom line, don't count on PRK after commissioning and before NAMI.

special_ed_article.jpg

Stretch32

I got PRK between commissioning and NAMI but I was definitely a special (insert obligatory image of drooling special Ed here) case. I had 6 months of stash time at my ROTC unit once I got NPQ'ed for pilot so I was able to get PRK and have 3 months to recover before I ever got to P'cola. Once you get down here, the written command policy is that you will not get it while attached to NASC. Bottom line, don't count on PRK after commissioning and before NAMI.

Is it possible to get stash time and maybe OHARP before going to flight school that would give me enough time to get it done if need be? I'm still figuring out how things work so I don't know if you can request something like that from a detailer and possibly put off starting API. I'm concerned because its been an absolute uphill battle just to get this far and I'd hate to miss out if there was something that can be done if vision proves an issue. Thanks for both replies though and the thoughts.

caeli

I had a friend who was SNFO and he wanted to get PRK while in A-Pool to be eligible to possibly switch to SNA. He tried every angle and talked to a whole bunch of people, but he ran into that same written policy that Umichfly talked about.

I know it's a little different because you're already SNA, but I wouldn't count on getting it once you check into NASC. I can't really offer any real advice, but I would think that your best bet might be to get stashed before checking into Pcola and get it done then. In any event - good luck!

UMichfly

pilot
None
Needs of the Navy are honestly what's going to dictate whether or not you can "put off API". Let your aviation advisor or whoever's doing the drug deals with your detailer know about your situation and that will become sort of like a dream sheet but if they need you down here 1 June for a class...guess when you're coming down. If you do manage to get OHARP and/or enough time to do PRK and be fully healed (at least 3 months), be prepared to do ALL of the legwork to get PRK set up somewhere (waits are notoriously long. I had to go to Bremerton to even find a Naval Hospital with a wait less than 6 months). Like I said before, bust your ass if you really want to get PRK but be prepared to show up to P'cola as you are because the deal I got seems like a very very lucky one.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But if you're going to be stashed at your ROTC unit after commissioning for awhile it's more likely? I'm going SNFO and after talking to unit staff they said from the rumors they've heard we're going to be stashed for awhile, so even if it was on my own dime there's more potential to do it then?

UMichfly

pilot
None
It all depends on your Chain of Command honestly. My unit staff was very understanding and let me have a lot of rope to figure out a plan and solidify all the details. If you have the means and the support to get it done before you're commissioned, I would just because it's more of a guarantee and also gives you more time to heal before NAMI. I was sweating bullets when I got to NAMI because I knew my eyes weren't fully healed even though it had been 4 months since the surgery.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I was 20/40 6 months before OCS and failed the Ishihara plates at MEPS and had to passed the FALANT for color as well as guess half of the circles on the depth perception. At NAMI I was 20/40 in my bad eye and passed the Ishihara plates and depth perception with relative ease.

RELAX. You'll be fine. As soon as you read 20/40 at NAMI and pass the test, your vision can go to 20/100 and you'll still be SNA (up to 20/400, but after 20/100 you start getting restrictions). Your vision won't change in such a short period of time. Just get hydrated, don't drink the day before and get enough sleep. You'll be fine.

Of course, if you are a rare case (me), you can pass Ishihara plates, FALANT, and circles on the depth perception, as well as have 20/40 vision, but be out of standards due to too much astigmatism.

So do your homework and if you need PRK get it done before you sign anything if you can.

nugget81

pilot
I believe Nugget81 has done it and maybe one other on here but it is VERY rare and have otherwise never even heard it possible.

Correct. I had PRK done after receiving my pro-rec. However, I was not officially Navy property at that time. I had very good timing and even better luck! Short answer--don't plan to have it done after getting selecting, especially after final select. If you want to do it, get it done before your application is submitted.

navy_or_bust

Thanks for the info, I will probably be in the march board so no time before but I am right on the edge with a good day right around 20/40. It is just if i get picked up and pass at meps with 2 years of school left I need to keep my eyes in tip top shape. Thanks again.