• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Privately Owned Navy Jet

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
From what I heard from my TPS classmates who flew it, the L-39 is pretty underpowered and underwhelming... According to them, you'd be better off with your own T-6- less fuel burn, and better climb/turn perf. Seriously.

Hopefully said guy wasn't claiming to be from VX-9 or anything. I'm kind of irritated that he "borrowed" their paint scheme, unless he's actually an alum.

No VX-9 guys but lots of USN types (including a few with Demo team experience).

http://www.warriorairshows.org/#!flight-team/cuy0

Interesting about what your TPS classmates' impressions were. What's the going price for a T-6 though? I never thought that the L-39 was attractive from a purely performance standpoint, but more because it is cheap to acquire/maintain for the performance it brings.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
You make an excellent point. A little Googling reveals that a Pilatus PC-7 (closest thing for sale to a T-6 I could find) is about $3.9M, and an L-39 is about $300-400K. So for 1/10 the cost, you can have a sweet looking jet that turns heads, even if it's performance isn't exactly eye-watering in comparison.

Makes sense to me.

Pags

N/A
pilot
image.jpeg
From what I heard from my TPS classmates who flew it, the L-39 is pretty underpowered and underwhelming... According to them, you'd be better off with your own T-6- less fuel burn, and better climb/turn perf. Seriously.

Hopefully said guy wasn't claiming to be from VX-9 or anything. I'm kind of irritated that he "borrowed" their paint scheme, unless he's actually an alum.
You're irritated that the VX-9 paint scheme was cool enough to be emulated?

I'm pretty sure if I had my own jet I'd paint it to look like a cool Navy paint scheme. Off the top of my head I might spring for a late WWII gloss blue scheme (maybe with Bunker Hill's arrow insignia and yellow cowl) or something from the 70s like a sundowner, Jolly Roger, or Vandy bird.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
No, I'm not irritated because VX-9 has a cool paint job- that would be ridiculous. I'm irritated because "VX-9" on the empennage of a civilian aircraft perpetuates misconceptions and confusion about what that squadron flies and does for its mission. It is a cool paint scheme, and makes for a cool jet. I just don't see why the unit markings have to be a "thing", unless he skipper of VX-9 or did his last tour there (which he very well may have). Personally, I wouldn't put squadron markings on my personal plane, but I do like your WWII blue paint w/ roundels idea.

But to each their own. It's literally HIS jet, and he gets to paint it how he wants.

Pags

N/A
pilot
No, I'm not irritated because VX-9 has a cool paint job- that would be ridiculous. I'm irritated because "VX-9" on the empennage of a civilian aircraft perpetuates misconceptions and confusion about what that squadron flies and does for its mission. It is a cool paint scheme, and makes for a cool jet. I just don't see why the unit markings have to be a "thing", unless he skipper of VX-9 or did his last tour there (which he very well may have). Personally, I wouldn't put squadron markings on my personal plane, but I do like your WWII blue paint w/ roundels idea.

But to each their own. It's literally HIS jet, and he gets to paint it how he wants.
i get your point but I think that's a viewpoint that might be lost on a guy looking for a cool paint job for a jet.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If I was going to buy my own jet, I'd probably go in another direction
he-had-spotlights-installed-on-the-wing-tips-so-that-the-iconic-rabbit-could-be-seen-flying-through-the-air-at-night-he-also-asked-permission-from-the-federal-government-to-paint-it-black-i-designed-the-big-bunny-jet-to-stand-out-he-wrote-in-the-wsj-nobody-had-a-black-plane-at-the-time-it-was-like-the-ugly-duckling.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
If I was going to buy my own jet, I'd probably go in another direction
he-had-spotlights-installed-on-the-wing-tips-so-that-the-iconic-rabbit-could-be-seen-flying-through-the-air-at-night-he-also-asked-permission-from-the-federal-government-to-paint-it-black-i-designed-the-big-bunny-jet-to-stand-out-he-wrote-in-the-wsj-nobody-had-a-black-plane-at-the-time-it-was-like-the-ugly-duckling.jpg
My brother in laws father in law owns a dassault falcon. Having your own jet that other people fly you around in is amazing and far better than an expensive toy/potential smoking hole.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Pretty soon you will be able to put "VFA-15" on your personal jet and it won't get confused with any active squadron……sad face

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I concur with what sevenhelmet says about the L-39, again it's secondhand info. Personally, I'd grab an Alpha Jet but they're pretty pricey. The L-39s allure us that it's super cheap.