• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

private pilot license

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I second what Boogey Spotter said. I have a PPL with about 140 hours. It helped me because it got me past the IFS roadblock and made some of the things in API a little easier because I had seen it before. However, in Primary it hasn't been that much help. The flying is Primary is very different from any civilian flying I have ever done. In some ways, it hurt me because I had to break some 'bad' habits to conform to the Navy-way of doing things. I can only think of two areas that it has helped me. The first is on the radios because I have used them before and talked on them before. Second, it has been a mental boost in some ways because I know I can fly a plane and I enjoy it. That gave me encouragement to keep pushing myself and not give up when the going got tough, because Primary does get tough at times.

That being said, from personal observation and being told by IPs, the only rating that might help you is an instrument rating. Guys who come through with an Instrument rating can get accelerated or at least have a little easier time during RIs because they have done most that stuff before. Again for them its learning the Navy way of doing things.

All in all, if your only reason for getting a PPL is because you think it might make you sh!t hot in Primary and guarantee you a jet slot then don't waste your money. If you want the license because you want to fly, want to be able to fly small planes, and get early exposure to aviation then it might be a good idea. Of course, its all up to you and what you want to do. I wouldn't change anything I've done so far. I love having a PPL and I'm glad I got it.

This basically summarizes all the links that are in the search I posted earlier. Good summary, Ektar, although I guess the others didn't want to bother reading the other threads.

Now for a student's take on the T-34C... It's a fun plane to fly! It has a 550shp turbine bolted onto the front of a plane that was orginally designed with about a 300hp or less piston engine in earlier models. It definitely performs. Its very stable and a great platform to learn in.

I'm baffled by this statement. How can you say this when the thing wants to roll inverted the second you take your eyes off the gauges and look at the radio? Personally, I think the plane is sentient and is just screwing w/ us.

It definitely not the most comfy aircraft, coupled w/ the piss poor ergonomics, makes it start to be painful after a few hours, especially for those of us above 6'.

KBayDog

I'm baffled by this statement. How can you say this when the thing wants to roll inverted the second you take your eyes off the gauges and look at the radio?

Are you sure that it is the plane that wants to roll inverted when you take you eyes off the gauges, and not the stud at the controls? :D

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Hey, I too have my PPL and am in primary right now. For API, it helps in Flight Rules and Regs and Navigation since you are familiar with this stuff, however the other classes not so much. The computer used in Nav is way different than what I used in the civilian world so it took some getting used to. As for primary, it helps because you know what to look for when flying a different aircraft and it does give you a base to go off of (air sense). However, if you have a lot of hours, you can build some bad habits that may be hard to break. I continued after IFS and got my license (did it for summer training at the Academy so I had the extra time). It allowed me to start API right away and not be held in Pensacola, which was a nice bonus.

Civilian flying and military flying are very different though. Civilian flying in a Cessna, Piper, Mooney, etc is a lot more relaxing and not as strict as military flying. In Annapolis, I could grab the keys to a Cessna, take off and cruise and come back on a whim. Not so much in the Navy. The T-34C is a much more complicated aircraft than anything you'll fly in GA. Aside from the systems (which I've been told are easy compared to fleet aircraft, sweet), it is a high performance and complex aircraft (more than 200 hp and constant speed prop, retractable gear, and flaps) which makes it a little more difficult in the beginning. Most GA aircraft are very stable since a lot of them are used as trainers or by older people who want to cruise around. The T-34C is more dynamic in that you can do aerobatics and it is very responsive so it is a lot more fun than your typical GA, but it requires a lot more attention and finesse.

In the end, does it help? I don't think it hurts but I don't think the gain is worth dumping all the money into (again, 25 hrs were taken care of by IFS for me). It is certainly something nice to have since you can take friends (or a date) up and it is good to get away. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

FLY_USMC

pilot
All the T-34C is....is a tandem seating, turbine Bonanza. If you've ever flown a Bonanaza...F-33 or F-35 I don't care...you've came within about 95% of having flown a Mentor.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I like to use the term "having it." You either have it or you don't. If you have it, the ability to learn, fly and function in flight shcool, something as small as a PPL might help in early FAM's. If you have 1000 civilian flight hours and don't have it, you just may not make it through as well. I had 30 hours, soloed after 10 hours and it helped right to the end of about FAM 2. We didn't have IFS in my day. A friend of mine had 1800 flight hours and definitely had it....he smoked every phase of primary, int and advanced. I believe he is an IP at VFA-106 as of late...or was. A Marine who has flown Hornets throughout his career.

Anyway, I've flown with a few studs now that have had at least 100-500 hours, one of which had his instrument rating (he had around 450 hours as I recall) and was average at best. Flew with a kid but a few weeks ago who claimed to have around 200 flight hours. This was an early off wing FAM and this kid had "it" no doubt. Probably one of the best I've seen besides the retread NFO's. If I could rate a few others that I have seen as very good, above average, tailhook/jet bound if the timing/needs of the Navy is right, none of them had prior flight time (at least 3 different studs that I can recall). So here's hoping you have it, even a little should get you through the program. Seems even those with an ounce of it as of late have been let through.

As far as the T-34 goes, it is such an easy plane to fly. I came from 8 years with a thunder pig though so anything might easy to fly relatively speaking. It was actually so easy, it was tough at first, not to overcontrol it. It is uncomfortable in the front cockpit though. I'm 6' and can't imagine those like Gatordev fitting, even in the rear cockpit. I hear the T-45 cockpit is small as well. Anyone know how big the T-6 cockpit is? The T-2C cockpit was like a bathtub.

MasterBates

T-45 cockpit is tiny compared to the T-34 in the legroom department for us 6'3" and bigger people.

Side/headroom, not too bad. T-6 seemed OK, but I just sat in it, never strapped in.

STLEngineer

pilot
I'm baffled by this statement. How can you say this when the thing wants to roll inverted the second you take your eyes off the gauges and look at the radio? Personally, I think the plane is sentient and is just screwing w/ us.

Are you talking about the plane or the SIMS?

I swear, those things either have anhedral or are sentient.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Are you talking about the plane or the SIMS?

I swear, those things either have anhedral or are sentient.

C. All of the above. Although I'd say the sims are "stupid," and just modeled "poorly" (hey, it's a sim, what do you expect?). The aircraft actually knows when it's time to make your life more difficult. But again, ergonomics doesn't help.

From what I've heard from T-6 IPs, it's fairly spacious and comfy.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
In the civilian world, I paid someone to teach me. If I didn't know it, no biggie. He got paid to sit there and teach it to me. I learned stuff in the cockpit for the first time wasting money and time in the cockpit. In flight school, you are expected to KNOW EVERYTHING cold and simply show up to the flight to learn the kinesthetic monkey-sense of moving the stick and PCL (power control lever) to make the plane do what you want it to do (because you know your shit cold.

Flying in the civvy world was always fun and when it got stressed, I took a day or two off and came back strong with a positive attitude. In flight school, you are expected to BE PREPARED for every flight/sim/CPT and PERFORM. In addition to knowing your stuff you need to be able to perform in the cockpit as well. If you suck, you suffer for it. This is your JOB. Just like any other job, you have to do well or suffer the consequences.

Bogey hit it on the head on this one for the biggest difference between civilian and military aviation.

I like to use the term "having it." You either have it or you don't. If you have it, the ability to learn, fly and function in flight shcool, something as small as a PPL might help in early FAM's. If you have 1000 civilian flight hours and don't have it, you just may not make it through as well.

This is the point that gets brought up the most whenever this question is asked, and I think its A4s favorite counterpoint. I've had friends with no hours rock the program, friends with a PPL rock it, and friends with CFIs get 80s. I've also had a friend with his CFI attrite from primary. If you have it hours will only help you, if you don't, all the hours in the world won't.

TheGreatWaldo

pilot
I think without a doubt you should get your PPL. I repeat...Get your PPL! Here are the reasons why:

1) If you haven't gotten picked up yet, it shows the board initiative. It tells them that you are willing to sacrifice some of your own money, time, and effort to work towards your goal.
2) Most importantly, you are investing in your future! The six months you will spend flying a T-34 will decide what you fly for the rest of your career (with a few exceptions). Sure luck and timing are key factors in selection, but almost every time, the number 1 guy will get what he wants. I had about 80hrs coming into primary and that time was invaluable! Primary is front loaded. You make your money in fams and BIs. That means that the more comfortable you are on the radios, trimming, landing, SA, etc. just keeps setting you apart from your peers until they start to catch up. By the time you get to Aerobatics (PAs) almost everyone is on par with each other. Can people get jets or rock the program with just IFS? sure. Are there guys who have thousands of hours that attrite from the program? sure. But, if having a little more experience will show dividends of even a few NSS points, I think you'd be crazy not to take advantage.

There is a pattern here you'll start to notice in advanced if you ask around. A lot of guys had prior flight time.

What would help out also, is a few hours of high performance time. I flew a bunch of hours in a Piper Comanche 260hp that cruised and landed at just about the same speed as the 34. Flying something heavier than a cessna is a good idea.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
2) Most importantly, you are investing in your future! The six months you will spend flying a T-34 will decide what you fly for the rest of your career (with a few exceptions). Sure luck and timing are key factors in selection, but almost every time, the number 1 guy will get what he wants.

In the interest of full disclosure, this is NOT the case right now for Navy and Marines. That's coming from CNATRA, not just anecdotal evidence.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I can't comment on Waldo's second point, but I feel that his first is very true.
Although I can't say if this is true or not, but I thought my PPL boosted my application significantly. I had four years out of college however to scrap enough money for it.