• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Private pilot license??

speeddypat

None
"all airports offering instruction have towers"

actually this isn't really true, there are lots of airports across the country that offer instruction and dont have towers... those students are a little less trained on the radio but still get their ppl, just thought i'd put this out there...

kratebike

Private Pilot
I had my PPL and Instrument Rating when I took the ASTB and I scored a 6/7/6 52. I would suggest the ARCO books and especially the spacial appreception chapter. That gave me the most difficulty.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Here is the bottom line....(I think..;) )

If you want to get a PPL because you like to fly....do it.

If you want to get a PPL because you think it will help you in primary/on the ASTB etc...don't. This is really a dumb reason to spend many thousand dollars. Don't get me wrong, its good that you are taking the process seriously but spend 50$ on Flight Sim X and you will be just as far ahead IMHO as you would shelling out for a PPL.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Here is the bottom line....(I think..;) )

If you want to get a PPL because you like to fly....do it. I thought it was 80 bucks for FSX?

If you want to get a PPL because you think it will help you in primary/on the ASTB etc...don't. This is really a dumb reason to spend many thousand dollars. Don't get me wrong, its good that you are taking the process seriously but spend 50$ on Flight Sim X and you will be just as far ahead IMHO as you would shelling out for a PPL.

This was pretty much the most concise, useful post thus far.

Back to a previous offensive post: Before we go judging people based on how many hours it takes to get a PPL, here at ERAU, the average time (part 142) is 60-70 hours, and the pilots certainly aren't stoners. Keep in mind, my first 30 hours were at KLGB where you'd spend a good 0.5-0.7 on the hobbs calling clearance, ground, taxiing, waiting, calling tower and taxiing back at the end of the flight. Also, when I started up flying again last summer, I went through 2 CFI's the first of which I was his first private student so he refused to cut the cord when he should have and let me solo WAY after I was ready. Even still, I finished the PPL essentially starting from scratch in 40 hours. The fact that I had 30 hours previous to this summer was of little interest to my first CFI as we started back at the beginning (and my flying skills weren't exactly the same as when I stopped 2 years previous), so I think I did fairly well.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Back to a previous offensive post: Before we go judging people based on how many hours it takes to get a PPL, here at ERAU, the average time (part 142) is 60-70 hours, and the pilots certainly aren't stoners.

The way ERAU does its PPL students is completely different from a normal Part 141 flight school. I got my PPL at Pensacola Aviation back in '03. I solo'ed in 11 hours and finished with 43.5. I know at this ERAU campus they balked when I told them I solo'ed at 11 hours. Their average student is soloing around 30 hours.

That aside, I think it is almost impossible to predict how long it is going to take a student to complete a PPL. 35 hours is the bare minimum (Part 141 at least) and each individual is going to pick up things at a different rate. If it takes someone 60 hours to know the material then so be it; I just don't see how taking the extra time to learn it could be viewed in a negative way.

edit: Tom, If I remember correctly you're a CFI. I'm sure you've had a student that needs the extra time because the material just doesn't click the first time. Signing him off for his checkride just because he was at 45 hours wouldn't make much sense if he wasn't competent.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
The way ERAU does its PPL students is completely different from a normal Part 141 flight school. I got my PPL at Pensacola Aviation back in '03. I solo'ed in 11 hours and finished with 43.5. I know at this ERAU campus they balked when I told them I solo'ed at 11 hours. Their average student is soloing around 30 hours.

That aside, I think it is almost impossible to predict how long it is going to take a student to complete a PPL. 40 hours is the bare minimum (Part 141 at least) and each individual is going to pick up things at a different rate. If it takes someone 60 hours to know the material then so be it; I just don't see how taking the extra time to learn it could be viewed in a negative way.

Exactly my point. Plus ERAU is like one of the only training facilities in the US operating part 142 which is even more regulated than 141. But regardless, through part 61, I would say I had a similar experience to yours. Forgetting the practically useless 30 hours I had 2 years before I started again, I soloed at around 12 hours and got my PPL in 40. The only thing the previous hours really did for me was satisfy some requirements..

Tom

pilot
Contributor
This was pretty much the most concise, useful post thus far.

Back to a previous offensive post: Before we go judging people based on how many hours it takes to get a PPL, here at ERAU, the average time (part 142) is 60-70 hours, and the pilots certainly aren't stoners. Keep in mind, my first 30 hours were at KLGB where you'd spend a good 0.5-0.7 on the hobbs calling clearance, ground, taxiing, waiting, calling tower and taxiing back at the end of the flight. Also, when I started up flying again last summer, I went through 2 CFI's the first of which I was his first private student so he refused to cut the cord when he should have and let me solo WAY after I was ready. Even still, I finished the PPL essentially starting from scratch in 40 hours. The fact that I had 30 hours previous to this summer was of little interest to my first CFI as we started back at the beginning (and my flying skills weren't exactly the same as when I stopped 2 years previous), so I think I did fairly well.

I hate to break this to you, but dealing with the radios, taxiing, etc. is part of flight instruction. It is not all about the plane. Also, I was not implying that everyone is a stoner. I was also not attempting to judge everyone with their hours.

Now when it comes to your CFI not cutting the cord it exemplifies how little you understand the process. The CFI is responsible for verifying you have the required ability to solo. Sure, there are some dorks out there armed with a CFI certificate, so you could have had one. It is not normally known that a CFI can be held liable for actions committed by a former student. If you were to go off with your private and kill yourself, your CFI (that endorsed you at one point) could and probably would be sued by the owner/insurance company/victims/executors of estates.

Think from the CFI's perspective.
1. I can endorse my student who is convince of their prowess in the aircraft when they may not be
2. I can be safe and further polish the student.
I do not think that an experienced pilot would trust a student pilot's judgment of their own ability. I sense rationalization and projection.

This thread has served its purpose.

Tom

joboy_2.0

Contributor
I hate to break this to you, but dealing with the radios, taxiing, etc. is part of flight instruction. It is not all about the plane. Also, I was not implying that everyone is a stoner. I was also not attempting to judge everyone with their hours.

Now when it comes to your CFI not cutting the cord it exemplifies how little you understand the process. The CFI is responsible for verifying you have the required ability to solo. Sure, there are some dorks out there armed with a CFI certificate, so you could have had one. It is not normally known that a CFI can be held liable for actions committed by a former student. If you were to go off with your private and kill yourself, your CFI (that endorsed you at one point) could and probably would be sued by the owner/insurance company/victims/executors of estates.

Think from the CFI's perspective.
1. I can endorse my student who is convince of their prowess in the aircraft when they may not be
2. I can be safe and further polish the student.
I do not think that an experienced pilot would trust a student pilot's judgment of their own ability. I sense rationalization and projection.

This thread has served its purpose.

Tom

fair enough, but also keep in mind I am well aware of the liability of CFIs. I know many CFIs from ERAU and my ex-GF is a CFI/II. I think because I was his first private student that he was just OVER cautious, because the CFI he handed me off to when he left looked at my flight plans once and signed me off without even breaking a sweat over it. Maybe the second CFI was too lenient, but I had soloed before and I didn't see why the first guy needed to start over from scratch when I had previously soloed. He kept telling me I was doing great and progressing fast, then we'd keep doing the same crap over and over again. Regardless, it's ancient history now, and I am a pilot so who cares? Bottom line, in part 141 4 year universities, it is not unheard of to get a PPL in 60-70 hours, and even in some part 61 programs.

To sum up this threads official purpose once again:

If you want a PPL, get it. It always helps. If you want it for the ASTB, don't waste your money. You don't need it. Buy a book.

Nikolas

"all airports offering instruction have towers"

actually this isn't really true, there are lots of airports across the country that offer instruction and dont have towers... those students are a little less trained on the radio but still get their ppl, just thought i'd put this out there...

I was refering to airports around socal, where yes pretty much all the airports have towers, especially those large enough for any kind of fbo.