• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary on Monday

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
There is a "hood" that is ejection compatible in the 45... Must have scared the AF.

I brief that I'm pulling the bag down for any emergency...first.

To be honest, I don't get the point of it. The vis from the back is shitty anyway, IPs can tell if you're cheating and I heard someone say once, "Train like you fight". Bags are silly.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Just because the Navy isn't on the ball getting the latest and greatest equipment on board the aircraft doesn't mean that we should stick our collective heads in the sand and pretend there's nothing to see.

Should fundamentals be taught and understood first? Yes. But not teaching any GPS functionality is doing the student and the Navy a disservice.

You missed my point. GPS is a reality of the business. No argument. Gucci glass cockpits with FMS functionality? Tell me how many of our jets have that capability? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can only think of a couple. They definately do not make up the majority of our fleet.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heard a suggestion that we should do Instruments TBS style. Just a map, a compass, and a pace count.

I believe you will get that opportunity when learning standard and half standard rate turns. Using the clock, and the turn & slip indicator.
Be careful what you wish for.... :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Tell me how many of our jets have that capability? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can only think of a couple. They definately do not make up the majority of our fleet.

How many of our jets have NACWS? How many of our aircraft have props? How many of our aircraft are flown in "single pilot mentality"? By this logic, we should have primary trainers that look exactly like fleet aircraft. The point of primary is not to teach a stud how to fly/manage the systems that they will fly in the fleet, that's what the RAG is for. The point of primary is to teach someone how to be a competent, basically trained aviator.

On top of all this, you're looking at a snapshot vice the long view. The T-6 will be training SNA's for DECADES. Do you really think in decades that the average fleet aircraft will look like this?

IMG_1500.jpg

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
How many of our jets have NACWS? How many of our aircraft have props? How many of our aircraft are flown in "single pilot mentality"? By this logic, we should have primary trainers that look exactly like fleet aircraft. The point of primary is not to teach a stud how to fly/manage the systems that they will fly in the fleet, that's what the RAG is for. The point of primary is to teach someone how to be a competent, basically trained aviator.

On top of all this, you're looking at a snapshot vice the long view. The T-6 will be training SNA's for DECADES. Do you really think in decades that the average fleet aircraft will look like this?

IMG_1500.jpg

I sure hope not but it wouldn't surprise me. I guess my view is just a little short sighted. Good discussion.

MasterBates

Um, the E-2 HAS looked like that for DECADES. Although that appears to be a COD. (gauge locations and LOX gauge are saying "COD" to me)

MasterBates

RADAR(oddly enough, E-2s don't have WEATHER RADAR), TACAN is on the lower console, LOX gauge goes way above 10, MFCDUs look different (but could be a Hummer variant I haven't seen), NAV SELECT button locations, and the location of the LSGI switches.

But yeah, at a cursory glance, the hummer looks the same.

MasterBates

No. I've been told the E-2 instrument scan is not legal per FAA and has a waiver. Never seen it in writing. Sounds like a urban legend that has plausibility though.

Instrument scan in a non CNS-ATM Hummer WILL kick your ass the first few times you fly it. I had about 2500 hours when I first flew the hummer, and that was humbling to say the least at first. Wait until you see where the Bullseye is!

jtmedli

pilot
How so? I actually thought the KLN-900 was decent. Yes, 1990s tech. Got it, but whenever I needed to do something with it - it worked fine. I can do more with that GPS in terms of airspace navigation, communication, and approaches than I can do in my fleet aircraft.

I wont argue that it is more capable than most fleet aircraft (which is sad) and will get you where you need to go, but I dont think I ever had a flight in RIs in the 57 where it didn't lose RAIM or otherwise 'shit the bed'.

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
I wont argue that it is more capable than most fleet aircraft (which is sad) and will get you where you need to go, but I dont think I ever had a flight in RIs in the 57 where it didn't lose RAIM or otherwise 'shit the bed'.

Did the first block this week and it worked fine on each flight. It must not like you.

T-6 question...do studs get to use the HUD?