• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary Experience - Gouge 2024

taxi1

pilot
Slight thread jack and honest question: have always heard the E-2 is by far the most difficult to fly off the boat, requiring the best grades in flight school. True?
Because you're not single piloted, there's plenty of time to lift a so-so pilot to true competency. Starting out, you just need to be good enough.

taxi1

pilot
The NATOPS brief should be your opportunity as the aircraft commander to highlight what's particularly different, difficult, or dangerous about TODAY and what you expect out of your crew to mitigate it. "Control changes will be a 3-way positive change...emphasis on the word 'controls'..." - how about "Control changes will be per SOP"?
I always snuck in a deadpan "...and I fucked your wife/mother/dog last night" into the brief to see who was listening.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Because you're not single piloted, there's plenty of time to lift a so-so pilot to true competency. Starting out, you just need to be good enough.
My question was more along the lines of the E-2 not having the automatic landing system the Hornets do (Magic Carpet, correct).

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
My question was more along the lines of the E-2 not having the automatic landing system the Hornets do (Magic Carpet, correct).
If we were only so-so in primary, we’re usually better pilots after doing most of the maritime syllabus and a good chunk of the jet syllabus. ;)

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

None
FWIW, just to hype up the squad, out CAG-5 ways we regularly had dudes end up in the top 5/10 for Top Hook every line period. Just Sayin'

giphy.gif

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

It's not automatic. Although it reduces pilot workload dramatically, you still have to fly the airplane.

FWIW, just to hype up the squad, out CAG-5 ways we regularly had dudes end up in the top 5/10 for Top Hook every line period. Just Sayin'

giphy.gif

Yup. Pretty typical to see one or two E-2 guys in the Top 10 for a given line period. But that's based on Paddles grades, who can't see past the fantail and grades passes in pencil, so I don't know if I'd hang my hat on it too much... ;)

robav8r

None
Contributor
I know many E-2 bubbas. My AB on TR was the PIC who successfully bail-out after an engine fire in the Med (I think). V. Bowers. My line of questioning was about how the current qualification process is adapting to the technology that the Hornets have and others don't. Have always heard the E-2 was a bear to land, especially now compared to platforms that have an automated system that reduces their workload, compared to analog A/C and systems that don't.

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

None
Was that before or after PLM?
Well before the Magic Carpet/PLM days. Early block Rhinos; VFA-27 was still rocking APG-73s for part of my time there. Way outside of my lane here as a window licker, but If I recall they all had just the more basic ACLS (Mode 1??) modes, which nuggets weren’t allowed to use, and if used by it didn’t count towards your grade. Which us fat kids agreed with on principle, as everyone would yell “Pussy!” at the platcam if someone rogered up with a “coupled” call. Crazy how it’s apparently 180 the other way nowadays. How does the greenie board work now if everything is PLM all the time?

hdr777

pilot
Crazy how it’s apparently 180 the other way nowadays. How does the greenie board work now if everything is PLM all the time?

There's still a bit of color, or maybe paddles are just pretty nitpicky with plm guys, typically a little more gracious with the big gurls.

PLM flying isn't perfect, and they can still bolter or have scary passes if they aren't actually flying the ball.

Last edited:

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
There's still a bit of color, or maybe paddles are just pretty nitpicky with plm guys, typically a little more gracious with the big gurls.

PLM flying isn't perfect, and they can still bolter or have scary passes if they aren't actaully flying the ball.
As a non-FW former pilot, this may come across as a dumb question...but is the E-2 more of a pig to land on the carrier because of the radar dome? Or, are C-2s similar? Just curious

taxi1

pilot
As a non-FW former pilot, this may come across as a dumb question...but is the E-2 more of a pig to land on the carrier because of the radar dome? Or, are C-2s similar? Just curious
Similar.

It’s the short coupled nature of the bird, with a short fuselage and relatively small vertical flight control surfaces compensated for with enormous throws on them. You become the lateral directional stabilization that the plane naturally lacks. Couple that with magnificent P-factor, where the nose goes up and right or down and left on power manipulations. She likes to fly sideways.

Watch one of the YouTubes of carrier E2 or C2 landings and watch the pilot work the left-right trim on the yoke with his thumb, That is rudder trim. It’s continuous.

Last edited:

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Watch one of the YouTube’s of carrier E2 or C2 landings and watch the pilot work the left-right trim on the yoke with his thumb, That is rudder trim. It’s continuous.
JFC...I had seen a few videos before, but after rewatching...that seems like some big monkey skills...much respect.