• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary Attrition and D.O.R

Status
Not open for further replies.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Hello all from the mosquito infested city of Corpus Christi.

I have lived all around the world and havent seen flying blood suckers this big in years! WOW

But now onto the real reason for this post. I have been down here in CC for a couple of weeks. Since I have been here, and at API, I have seen some truely crazy things. I mean I know a lot of people that have come here for primary. The scary thing is that alot of them have up and quit for numerous reasons. The #1 reason is the majority of people arent having any fun. When I hear this I'm like hello the first part of primary is not supposed to be fun. The saying is the first couple of weeks here is like putting your mouth around a fire hydrant and turning it on full blast. Sink or swim type stuff. I am just amazed at the number of people that are leaving here and heading off to SWO school. My personal opinion and I must say this again My Personal opinion is that a lot of guys are comming to primary with one thing in mind. JETS! Hey Im the same way but some guys are setting themselves up for failure in a hurry. The problem right now in selecting is you have to be the #1 guy in your class to get jets. This is due to numerous issues, squadron decoms etc. Anyway, I feel that some guys get here and see that they are not doing as well as they thought and are in the middle of the pack and they think damn I'm not gonna get jets so they quit. I know that there are others that decide to leave the program for other reasons so... Once again this is my opinion after talking to some of the guys I know. Personally, I want jets more than anybody else. However, if the slots are not there or whatever, I've come to the realization that a day flying for the Navy (in anything) is better than the jobs of 99.99% of the people in the world.

So, my thoughts on this issue are: be prepared for what can happen in the training pipeline and dont set yourself up for failure by being narrow minded about platforms. Also, if you spend your time worrying about your grades, you will have a miserable time in primary.

So sayeth Dave

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Ditto. When those quitters get to thier ships (as junior SWOs) they'll be kicking themselves when the air det checks on board. If they don't find Primary fun, I doubt they'll like INSURV preps on a frigate!!

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

grouch

That is incredible! I won't get jets so I'll go float a boat? What the hell is that? Oh well, the more that drop out just leaves more pie for the rest of us.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by grouchOh well, the more that drop out just leaves more pie for the rest of us.
Doesn't help the qualified guys who didn't get in to begin with. Every one of the guys who drops out means one slot that could cave gone to another qualified applicant.

Then again, it's easy for me to say that, but in theory the navy takes into account a certain attrition rate when they decide how many SNAs to stuff in the left side of the meat grinder. So if nobody quit, there probably wouldn't be enough aircraft waiting for them on the other side.

Just remember - if this job was supposed to be easy they'd let everyone do it.

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Not having any fun, huh. Well I guess the guys who came out of OCS and are in primary now (that are dropping out of primary) were having fun in OCS... otherwise they would have quit right! Only the strong survive[B)]. This is just silly. I'm glad those guys are gone.

I want jets more than anyone, not gonna drop just cause it looks like helos. At least I'll know I gave it all I had, and will do the best in any platform im awarded
icon_smile_wink.gif

EODDave...how did you end up with CC? I'm from TX so you know that's where I'll be trying for primary.

ghost_ttu

No henne, I want jets the most and that's just how it is!!!!! [}:)]

But dropping seals off and picking them back up in a helo isn't exactly an unbearable thought. They will just have to deal with me petitioning to switch platforms after my first tour. Might happen, might not happen, but they WILL hear from me. Right now I need to hear from them. I have a feeling they have heard what a pain in the ass I could be and are thinking no way! [:D]

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
This could just be the kind of break you need Ghost. Hey LCDR Shannon e-mailed me about a meeting their having this Sat. Keep BUGGIN! It's a meeting about OCS stuff. I'm gonna try and make it...looks like I gotta work though(I mean fly)Ha!

I got a reccomendation from a LT that inserts SEAL's and such. She loves it....low level at night, formation. Not to mention if you get in the ****, a truck load of SEAL's got your back! Can't be that bad.

ghost_ttu

No doubt, if you die, they have to 1. figure out how to fly the helo, or 2. swim back to the boat.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
henne,

When you get to API, Student Control will ask you were you want to go. They usually will give it to you. However, some guys get stuck with Vance or Moody that really didnt want to go there. But overall most guys get what primary base they ask for.

Dave

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
EOD~

Cool to know. I want CC for sure, and cringe at the thought of Vance or Moody. Will make the best of what ever though. Is it true that they have a hard time getting people to go to CC?

Jonathan

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm a fellow Texan also, and would love to go to primary at CC. I guess I'll find out come summer...

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Stucon at APi normally doesnt have a hard time filling the billets at cc or whiting. Just ask for what you want and usually youll get it.

Dave

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Awesome!

Thanks for the info...

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
As i've said in other threads, a day flying a t-34, with a mean ol' instructor so far up your ass he tickles the back of your throat, is FAR, FAR better than ANY day on a boat (unless you have the potential to be flying off said boat).

I've got friends who are SWOs and SubNuc, anybody who things that primary is no fun has NO idea what the fleet is like. We've got it so damn good i can't even begin to list our bennies!

-The Prop Stops Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.