• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pretty cool 747 stuff

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Pretty serious film crew coordination, though my favorite part was the music towards the end...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool video... see him hold that nosewheel off and gently set it down? Nice.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Does anyone know what IGS is? Instrument Glideslope System, like ILS? Just curious.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Mefesto said:
I'm not sure (where's A4's) but I believe the IGS was a psudo ILS on the checkerboard approach into Kai Tak. It was basically a localizer that took you down to a huge orange and white checkerboard on the side of a mountain. When you saw the checkerboard, you made a hard right turn to line up on final. Made for some spectacular pictures/video over the years, too bad the airport is no more... then again IGS could just be some british term for ILS.

Untitled-2.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hong Kong?? Old Kai-Tak ??? Good liberty port.

But the IGS to RW 13??? For me ??? How you say ... a piece of ... cake??? :)

Kai-Tak, especially the IGS to 13, was the bogeyman for many (most?) guys ... the one depicted on the USN plates is actually a little "easier" than the civilian version.

But Kai-Tak for me? :) My middle name used to be Kai Tak-- :). I decided early in the game that it was NOT going to get the best of me --- so I ratcheted down on the approaches into Kai-Tak (old Hong Kong Intl') and made them my b!tch, so to speak, instead of the other way around. I ALWAYS liked getting the approaches into there (most CAPTs were glad to give me the leg) and when I moved to the left seat, I usually "took" them, just to beat the beast into submission and "be somebody". Most guys, no matter what seat, were more than happy to give me that leg, so it all worked out in the end.

I have been chased by many typhoons across the S. China Sea only to shoot the IGS to 13--- quite the culmination of a busy, WX-dodging day. That's the approach most of you reference when you think: Hong Kong and wild approaches. Actually, you're probably safer in the belly of the typhoon than shooting a night/IFR IGS to 13 @ old Kai-Tak.

Coincidently, the 13 IGS @ Kai-Tak was my FIRST approach and landing as a 747 F/O in the Orient.

About 400' above minimums with a bad overshooting X-wind on turn to final--- the Captain ordered me to burn my uniform after landing ... lucky for me my old Navy-days tailor is still in business in Hong Kong.

The missed approach for RW 31 is also bad stuff ... it's a toss up which is worse.

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
Isn't this approach a lot like the one into the base in Cuba where you have to make a tight turn to avoid overlying Cuban territory or something?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Isn't this approach a lot like the one into the base in Cuba where you have to make a tight turn to avoid overlying Cuban territory or something?
From my CRAF days (maybe some of the current military guys herein have a different experience):
It -- GITMO -- used to be more difficult 10 years ago and earlier ... not so much anymore. At least not so much since @ the late 1990's when the Cubans "opened" up the west airspace "without prejudice" for approaches to RW 10. There's no need to fly the formerly challenging visual approach with a 90 degree turn to final. In any case, it's easier (a relative term) than Kai-Tak IGS 13 ever was ..... Leeward Tower NS Gitmo will not approve a "straight-in" to RW 10 because, technically, it doesn't exist. But you can request a long visual final which will give you at least a 3 mile final. And if you need "more" ... you just request it.

PLUS, NS Guantanamo Bay is relatively low terrain ... with relatively good WX (compared to the SE Asia monsoons) ... the aircraft are flown by relatively competent round-eye military or CRAF contract crews ... and usually a single NAV frequency visual approach.

The "old" Kai-Tak is still the yardstick by which "tough" approaches, VFR or IFR, are measured. Combine frequent bad monsoonal WX, foreign controllers, a mixture of VOR/ADF/ILS frequencies, tight turns close to the ground, high elevations right next to the runway, crosswinds, and the need for a Guiness and you have quite an approach "problem".

It got better towards the "end" when more US, Brit, and Aussie contract controllers and more radar "help" around the pattern became available.

Sooooooooo .... "they" closed Kai-Tak and opened the new "improved" airport out west. :)

...... Kai-Tak on a "good" day ...

NavyLonghorn

From my CRAF days (maybe some of the current military guys herein have a different experience):
It -- GITMO -- used to be more difficult 10 years ago and earlier ... not so much anymore. At least not so much since @ the late 1990's when the Cubans "opened" up the west airspace "without prejudice" for approaches to RW 10. There's no need to fly the formerly challenging visual approach with a 90 degree turn to final. In any case, it's easier (a relative term) than Kai-Tak IGS 13 ever was ..... Leeward Tower NS Gitmo will not approve a "straight-in" to RW 10 because, technically, it doesn't exist. But you can request a long visual final which will give you at least a 3 mile final. And if you need "more" ... you just request it.

PLUS, NS Guantanamo Bay is relatively low terrain ... with relatively good WX (compared to the SE Asia monsoons) ... the aircraft are flown by relatively competent round-eye military or CRAF contract crews ... and usually a single NAV frequency visual approach.

The "old" Kai-Tak is still the yardstick by which "tough" approaches, VFR or IFR, are measured. Combine frequent bad monsoonal WX, foreign controllers, a mixture of VOR/ADF/ILS frequencies, tight turns close to the ground, high elevations right next to the runway, crosswinds, and the need for a Guiness and you have quite an approach "problem".

It got better towards the "end" when more US, Brit, and Aussie contract controllers and more radar "help" around the pattern became available.

Sooooooooo .... "they" closed Kai-Tak and opened the new "improved" airport out west. :)

...... Kai-Tak on a "good" day ...

Ummmm.. roger.. field in sight... I think..