• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pressure Chamber / Death by Powerpoint

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Ok, well not all that recent but thought I would add this anyway. If anyone has any desire to learn about the start of Week 5 at API then read up, if not, well pick another thread.

Monday - Land survival classes, some interesting stuff and doesn't take too long, should be done around 1300 or 1400 at the latest. Bunch of different techniques for surviving on land.

Tuesday - possibly the worst day at API. Literally all day is spent in a classroom watching powerpoint presentations. Very very painful. Information is good just a long time to spend watching a screen. Expect to stay till 1630 or so.

Wednesday - More powerpoint early on before being divided up for the "spin and puke" and the pressure chamber. Spin and puke is not bad at all, if you can make it through the teacups at Disney World then you will be fine, expect to be bored more than anything else. Pressure chamber is a good time, get some experience with hypoxia but its fun and nothing to be worried about at all...

Thursday - start Bay ops...fun stuff for most of the rest of API

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
One of my buddies (said with sarcasm) did the pressure chamber today... made the mistake of saying "my knee hurts" in the chamber. (his knee was hurting BEFORE he go it in).

Said "buddy" ended up spending the rest of the day with those friendly medical people...

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The rest of your military career will be death by powerpoint

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
TheBubba said:
made the mistake of saying "my knee hurts" in the chamber. (his knee was hurting BEFORE he go it in).

Said "buddy" ended up spending the rest of the day with those friendly medical people...

That sucks...

Yeah I know that powerpoint will be used alot, I just hope that there aren't too many days of 8 hrs of watching it...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jamnww said:
That sucks...

Yeah I know that powerpoint will be used alot, I just hope that there aren't too many days of 8 hrs of watching it...

Three words. T-45 Systems Class. Oh, the pain . . .

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Watching powerpoints for 8 hours is easy, at least you get a little sleep.

Try being on a staff and spending 8, 12, 16+ hours making a 30 minute powerpoint presentation for your boss........

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jamnww said:
Thursday - start Bay ops...fun stuff for most of the rest of API

If you think bay ops was fun, wait (if you are lucky) for D-Jet...Part II of Water survival...oh man, that was fun....

I think that's where they do the redneck parasailing....

ea6bflyr

Crowbar

None
dilbert-pptpoisoning.gif

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I think I've had enough powerpoint poisoning to go around.

You should have to have a special qual in order to make/use a *.ppt. And only get it after you've been found to have these qualities:

1. The ability to be brief. Afterall, they are called briefs for a reason.
2. You have the ability to actually make a point.
3. Very creative, humorous and entertaining.
4. You don't have a voice that immediately reminds the class/audience of Ben Stein.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
If you think ppt is bad.... MUAHAHAHAHA... just wait until the death by PPT changes to suicide by PPT when you have to spend hours in primary, advanced and the rag and some in the fleet doing self paced and presented power points (ICWs and CBT's).
NOW THAT IS FUN!!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CAI makes me want to kill myself.

I love when someone makes a PPT and they put an entire book on each slide. Oh man, when I sit through a PPT like that, I DO want to kill myself.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
CAI/CBTs suck, there's no doubt. But what totally drives me crazy is being REQUIRED to do EPs on the CBTs. I just don't learn that way and it's sooooo.....slow.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
:eek:
HAL Pilot said:
Watching powerpoints for 8 hours is easy, at least you get a little sleep.

Try being on a staff and spending 8, 12, 16+ hours making a 30 minute powerpoint presentation for your boss........

Just 12 hours on a 30 minute PPT presentation? Here in DC we take pride in taking several workdays to do just one or two slides. It would be funny if was a joke...... :eek:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Flash said:
:eek:

Just 12 hours on a 30 minute PPT presentation? Here in DC we take pride in taking several workdays to do just one or two slides. It would be funny if was a joke...... :eek:
I hear ya...I spent too mcuh time as a powerpoint commando for Southcom and the JS. I was just talking about my time at the keyboard. I did not add in all the time spent running it through 15 layers of the chain of command for each chop.......that would have taken it to days and sometimes weeks......