• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Preparing for OCS PT

gstapes12

BDCP FS Pilot
I have seached around AirWarriors for some PT prep tips to augment my own PT and there is some helpful gouge scattered around the forum but nothing with a bunch of good PT plans in one place.

If OCS grads, those currently preparing for OCS or those who PT on a regular basis would post their workouts/PT plans in this thread, those of us who have been Pro-Rec'd or Final Selected can compare notes and benefit while we continue to prepare for OCS.

AztecLax02

At OCS the amount of PT you will be doing is fairly standard across the board, not including RPT sessions which I will explain in a second. You will PT Monday through Saturday for the first 9 weeks. Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday are "run" days, generally you will have a "carrier run" (run on slightly hilly streets) on those days that is approx. 2.7 miles at a 18 to 23 minute pace depending on what run group you are placed in. On Tuesday and Thursdays you will be doing strength and conditioning training which is generally situps, push ups, pull ups, leg lifts, jumping jacks (known as side straddle hops), etc. for about 40 minutes to an hour.

During any of this PT you may mess some exercises up because everything is done as a group with "speed, volume, intensity" and may be punished by doing some RPT. RPT or "beat downs" as they are known at OCS is anything that your DI can think up to break people physically/mentally. Sprints, push ups, rest position (I won't ruin that surprise for you), standup-sitdowns, rifle exercises, pretty much anything under the sun that can piss a person off. When I left OCS the DI's were all about the "Insanity" workout program, so they are probably killing the Indocs with those workouts now.

Honestly I could write all day about what you can expect for PT/RPT in OCS, but it truly depends on who your class team is. For example my Class Chief loved Cross Fit, so when he wanted to beat us we did those workouts, which you can find on the internet. Bottom line is that the key to being successful is staying injury free and making sure you keep your form exactly how they want it at ALL times when doing the exercises. I trained for about a month before I left for OCS by working out 5 days per week running about 3 miles every other day, swimming the other two days about a half mile and doing push ups/various core exercises. The PT/RPT isn't too bad, but it does wear on a lot of people that are not athletically inclined/overweight/not willing to push themselves.

If you want a little taste of what your gonna get in OCS look at this video
. It was a very mild beating to say the least, but you get the idea. Good luck to those headed to Newport.

CenixOne

SNA FS, DA
Contributor
Great Gouge Aztec, thanks. A 18-23 min pace is more of a slow jog.. doesn't seem too bad at all.

red_ryder

None
Hey, Go Illini.

What I did to prepare was run 4 times a week and do pushups/situps in between, and when I reported I did okay.

On hindsight, I would have thrown in more sprints and hills into the runs, and added more lower abs to my routine. I would recommend pushing yourself, but if you start to feel strain throttle back and maybe take a day of rest, or just light stretching.

There wasn't such a thing as the Insanity program when I went through, but I can totally see them using that. I have friends that do it and they say it's a great overall workout, so it couldn't hurt.

Good luck!

gstapes12

BDCP FS Pilot
2.7 miles at a 18 to 23 minute pace depending on what run group you are placed in

How do you get placed in the different groups? 18 minutes for ~3 miles is a pretty quick pace...

Is there any benefit to doing any weight training before OCS?

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Run 3 miles 3 times a week but throw in sets of push-ups, sit-ups, sprints, mountain climbers, etc in with the runs. That should set you up fairly well for the morning PT sessions. Don't worry about prepping for the beatings, your adrenaline will take care of that...

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Great Gouge Aztec, thanks. A 18-23 min pace is more of a slow jog.. doesn't seem too bad at all.

FYI those 18 min are to cover close to 3 Miles and that is roughly a 6 min mile? Which is NOT a slow jog..... I do realize the OP of that information should have said 18 min overall time.... Not 18 Min a mile....

UF_ME

FYI those 18 min are to cover close to 3 Miles and that is roughly a 6 min mile? Which is NOT a slow jog..... I do realize the OP of that information should have said 18 min overall time.... Not 18 Min a mile....

Thank you for clearing that up I was beginning to think that I am wayyy out of shape

CenixOne

SNA FS, DA
Contributor

In that case, i have a lot of work to do.. 18 min for 3 miles is insain! To me at least.. is that accurate? Can any other OCS grads confirm..

* Edit: I was comparing a 5k (3.1 mile) run with the 2.7 mile OCS run. My numbers were off. Makes more sense now.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
In that case, i have a lot of work to do.. 18 min for 3 miles is insain! To me at least.. is that accurate? Can any other OCS grads confirm..

Confirmed. I ran with the fast group and at the beginig might have been about 20 min, but by the end of OCS it was about 18 min or less. Yeah it sucked!

It is all based on the in PFA... If you score a certain number (Time), you are placed within a group (Fast/Medium/Slow) and if you start slow, they encourage you to go medium, then fast. Ohh and sometimes the medium group is as fast as the fast group..

CenixOne

SNA FS, DA
Contributor
Confirmed. I ran with the fast group and at the beginig might have been about 20 min, but by the end of OCS it was about 18 min or less. Yeah it sucked!

It is all based on the in PFA... If you score a certain number (Time), you are placed within a group (Fast/Medium/Slow) and if you start slow, they encourage you to go medium, then fast. Ohh and sometimes the medium group is as fast as the fast group..

Oh I see, and what are the consequences for those who can't advance from the slow group?