• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pre-existing injury and OCS

Shocker82

I'm almost 100% on going to next June's OCS class. However, I suffered a minor lower-back injury about a year ago with residual pain. Has anybody had a similar injury and made it through OCS? Obviously you want to be 100% before you go. So, should I consider getting it fixed before hand or just tough it out? Thanks.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
OCS is going to be hard enough on your body, you don't want any "residual back pain" before you even get there. Why would you consider "toughing it out" and not fixing the problem now, you have almost 11 months to recover. I would talk to a doc, tell them you're going to OCS, and get their opinion. Good luck.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
How bad is the injury, i.e. is there anything structurally wrong or do you just have some back pain? there were plenty of guys with bad backs that made it through OCS ok, so I would say it depends on the severity of your injury. If it doesn't give you any major problems now when you PT then you should be fine at OCS.

Shocker82

It's like a Sciatic (Sp?) nerve type thing. Doesn't hurt bad, but after a few tough hockey hits you can definately tell it is not 100%. Sometimes the pain might run down the back of my legs. But as I said, mostly I don't notice it and wonder if the stress of running with packs and what not might get me kicked out, or worse put on light duty all the time.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
It's like a Sciatic (Sp?) nerve type thing. Doesn't hurt bad, but after a few tough hockey hits you can definately tell it is not 100%. Sometimes the pain might run down the back of my legs. But as I said, mostly I don't notice it and wonder if the stress of running with packs and what not might get me kicked out, or worse put on light duty all the time.

The packs we use at OCS when we go on humps are not going to make your back feel any better.

pdx

HSM Pilot
I'm almost 100% on going to next June's OCS class. However, I suffered a minor lower-back injury about a year ago with residual pain. Has anybody had a similar injury and made it through OCS? Obviously you want to be 100% before you go. So, should I consider getting it fixed before hand or just tough it out? Thanks.

If there is a reasonably safe option for you to get if fixed, pursue it now. I assume you are talking about some kind of surgery. Even if you make it through OCS, then TBS, you won't be able to get it fixed in flight school without going med down for a long time. Counting the RAG and your first fleet tour, that is one hell of a long time to "tough it out."

My back is in good shape, but the small amount of time I spent in a T-34 seat cause some aches and pains. It just end after OCS.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot

I think TBS might be a bigger problem for you, at OCS from what I remember we never ran with packs, just deuce gear and rifle. we humped with the packs, but they weren't really that heavy.(I'm not sure, are they still using alice packs at OCS and the really old LBV's?) I found the packs at TBS to be a pain in the ass(or back in your case), especially the way it fit over the LBV and flak vest, it never seemed to sit right on my shoulders and there was a lot more stuff to carry than OCS. you also do runs like the endurance course at TBS where you carry a pack. I would say it comes down to how your back feels after you run. If it feels fine, try running with a pack. If it is still ok, you should be fine.

I have sciatic pain.. I actually have piriformis. This is a muscle that tightens, irritating the sciatic. I made it through OCS and Im almost done with TBS .. stretching helps me.. most of the pt we do doesnt hurt it.. we did 5-6 O courses one day and that kind of did. You can make it, if you want to. And most back injuries get better with rest, time, stretching, abdominal work and it seems time is something you have plenty of.

Semper.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
OCS is going to be hard enough on your body, you don't want any "residual back pain" before you even get there. Why would you consider "toughing it out" and not fixing the problem now, you have almost 11 months to recover. I would talk to a doc, tell them you're going to OCS, and get their opinion. Good luck.

Yea, what he said.

At the very least see an orthopod and let him/her tell you what is wrong and how to fix it.