• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post 9/11 GI Bill Verification

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
A bit of background: I refused the initial MGIB in 2004 when I enlisted (already had BS) and then was commissioned in 2006. When the Post 9/11 GI Bill was enacted I went in to my squadron's admin department and signed up for it, and then signed the page 13 transferring benefits to my kids and wife (one month each) so I can pay for their schooling in the future.

Was digging through my NSIPS account and BOL yesterday in prep for O-4 board and noticed the NSIPS had me as a "Code 6" with the old MGIB. Don't ask me what that means, I have no idea.

I called the VA and come to find I am NOT signed up for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I have the page 13 transferring the benefits I don't have on file but admin obviously dropped the ball (again)

I have registered, again, for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, this time through the VA website. Will find out if it takes this time in "30-45 days" and then have to transfer benefits, again.

Once again, my disdain for all YN's and PS's is deepened. Fucking Pogues.

Take heed, make sure you look after your own benefits, no one cares but you.

Pickle

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Why does anyone have to "sign up" for the P911GIB? With the MGIB, there was a salary reduction of $100/month for 12 months, so service members were given the opportunity of taking it or not, but with P911GIB, there is no salary reduction; everyone who serves during the eligible period should be automatically entitled to the benefit.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I think that if you were in the military prior to the post 9/11 GI bill, you have to file a form to sign up for it. Otherwise it's assumed you have the MGIB.

exNavyOffRec

A bit of background: I refused the initial MGIB in 2004 when I enlisted (already had BS) and then was commissioned in 2006. When the Post 9/11 GI Bill was enacted I went in to my squadron's admin department and signed up for it, and then signed the page 13 transferring benefits to my kids and wife (one month each) so I can pay for their schooling in the future.

Was digging through my NSIPS account and BOL yesterday in prep for O-4 board and noticed the NSIPS had me as a "Code 6" with the old MGIB. Don't ask me what that means, I have no idea.

I called the VA and come to find I am NOT signed up for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I have the page 13 transferring the benefits I don't have on file but admin obviously dropped the ball (again)

I have registered, again, for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, this time through the VA website. Will find out if it takes this time in "30-45 days" and then have to transfer benefits, again.

Once again, my disdain for all YN's and PS's is deepened. Fucking Pogues.

Take heed, make sure you look after your own benefits, no one cares but you.

Pickle

It seems like most PS's I know (CPO's) spend more time trying to do anything but their job so the E-6 and below have no real supervision, so I understand your frustration.

Beefalo

Im active duty and switched from MGIB to post 9/11. Did it on the VA's website and received a confirmation letter from the VA a couple weeks later.

You only need to "sign up" for the post 9/11 if you wish to switch from MGIB to 9/11.

BTW if you have MGIB once you use all 36 months of benefits you get an additional 12 month of post 9/11 at no additional charge. You also get the $1200 you paid into it back. Something to consider for active duty guys utilizing MGIB to cover masters degree classes since TA usually doesnt cover all those costs since graduate level courses are more expensive than undergrad.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I wasn't eligible for MGIB due to NRTOC. The only thing I needed to do with post-9/11 was transfer benefits to my daughter.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Im active duty and switched from MGIB to post 9/11. Did it on the VA's website and received a confirmation letter from the VA a couple weeks later.
I must be computer illiterate. I can find the links to transfer post 9/11 benefits to a dependant but can't find the link to transfer from the MGIB to post 9/11 GI bill.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I spoke with the VA a couple months ago to find out how much I have remaining on my MGIB and when they need to be used by. I found out that I can use up the remaining benefits I have (about $30K) and then when they are gone or my time limit has passed, I can extend my benefits 1 year by moving to the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I also have the option of just switching to the Post 9/11 GI Bill as well.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't forget that you have to sign the Pg13 acknowledging the 4 year payback to start the clock after you transfer benefits to a family member. If you don't have the Pg 13, you didn't complete the transfer.

NUFO06

None
I was under the impression my clock started last May when I signed the Page 13. Apparently admin lost it or didn't send it in after I handed it to them. I signed another Page 13 on Friday.
Thanks for the heads up.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Yeah, definitely check your NSIPS after you apply for the transfer of benefits to family members. My admin claimed they submitted my Page 13 to PSD, but when I checked it online there was a note saying "Awaiting command approval" or something like that, even though it also showed that my CO had already approved the transfer. I went back and forth with them for a few months on it, since no one seemed to know what that note meant. Finally I found someone who told me the note meant that PSD never received my PG13 from the squadron. By the time the whole thing got straightened out, it was a year later. Luckily I already have a concurrent time commitment from taking the bonus, but starting the GI Bill ticker a year later than I had intended would have screwed my post navy plans otherwise.
Fkn PSD.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, definitely check your NSIPS after you apply for the transfer of benefits to family members. My admin claimed they submitted my Page 13 to PSD, but when I checked it online there was a note saying "Awaiting command approval" or something like that, even though it also showed that my CO had already approved the transfer. I went back and forth with them for a few months on it, since no one seemed to know what that note meant. Finally I found someone who told me the note meant that PSD never received my PG13 from the squadron. By the time the whole thing got straightened out, it was a year later. Luckily I already have a concurrent time commitment from taking the bonus, but starting the GI Bill ticker a year later than I had intended would have screwed my post navy plans otherwise.
Fkn PSD.

We were informed that reserve association also counted towards the time commitment for transferring benifits.