• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post 9/11 GI Bill transfers?

incubus852

pilot
The GI Bill website states you can transfer benefits to dependants if you, the member:

Has at least 6 years of service in the Armed Forces on the date of election and agrees to serve 4 additional years in the Armed Forces from the date of election.

Since most of us have an 8 year requirement anyways does this basically mean after 6 years in we're good to transfer?

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
Nope, going through this issue right now in my shop (which is why I'm reupping tomorrow). We (LPO, Weapons Officer and I) called to get the skinny on this due to a msg sent out by my DH and CMC stating that transferability needs to be elected by 31DEC (which both my LPO and I received two different answers to, IRT the deadline). Basically you have to have at least 8 years in already, and then agree to serve four more years from date of election to transfer. For us enlisted folk, it meant that in this case, my LPO had to extend his EAOS 24 months (he has 14 yrs in) to meet that four yr requirement. The rules are a bit different if yer about to retire and the such. When I'm at work tomorrow I can PM you the msg and more info if you want.

incubus852

pilot
Thanks man. So a pilot, with an 8 yr commitment after wings, would have to sign on for another 4 years on top of the 8 yr commitment?

SWO Bubba

None
Our SWO detailing shop (PERS-41) put the below out yesterday on Sailor Bob. Looks to me like you need to agree to serve/re-up for 4 more years. The "In general" caveat in the second bullet below clearly points to some waivers; I'm pretty sure the waiver is for guys close to retirement who can't serve 4 more years.

New Rhumb Lines released providing post-9/11 GI Bill Update. The PDF version can be downloaded at: http://www.navy.mil/navco/pages/rhumb_lines.html

Rhumb Lines (09 Dec 09) - Post-9/11 GI Bill Update

The Post-9/11 GI Bill offers Sailors and their families an additional option to pay for higher education. The Post-9/11 GI Bill is the most comprehensive education benefit package to date, offering payment of tuition, book costs, university fees and a monetary stipend for up to 36 months. Nearly 170,000 Sailors, active and reserve, may be eligible to transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to family members.

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits
As an additional benefit for continued service, the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows certain service members to transfer education benefits to dependents.
• To transfer benefits, a Sailor must have enrolled their spouse and children in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS), have served in the armed forces for six years, and be on active duty or Selected Reserve at the time of the application.
• In general, Sailors must commit to serve an additional four years in order to transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to their spouse, their children or both.
• To utilize benefits, the spouse or child must complete the electronic or print version of VA form 22-1990e, which is available on the Department of Veterans Affairs website, and provide a copy of the approved transferability request (Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) screen shot) to the academic institution's VA Certifying Official for enrollment certification. The form, instructions and additional information are located at the VA website.

Temporary Exceptions Expire Dec. 31
Certain exceptions to the Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer requirements were granted through NAVADMIN 203/09, allowing short-term extensions or out-of-cycle re-enlistments, for members who required them, to become eligible for GI Bill transferability.
• Sailors who required short-term extensions or out-of-cycle reenlistments to establish eligibility to transfer benefits must take advantage of the opportunity no later than Dec. 31 to maximize use of the benefit. Not applying by the deadline may delay the opportunity for family members to take advantage of the program.
• Additional information is available at the Navy Personnel Command website or by phone. Active duty and Full-Time Support (FTS) Sailors may call (703) 614-9629 or 866-827-5672 and Reservists may call 800-621-8853.

Keys for Success
• Ensure additional service obligations (including page 13 for officers) are reflected in the Electronic Service Record before applying for transfer benefits.
• Utilize Command Career Counselors during the application process to avoid delays or rejections.
• Transfer benefits before retiring or separating from the service. New designations cannot be made and benefits cannot be transferred after leaving the service. However, certain changes between designated family members can be made, such as changing the months of benefits.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
• Transfer benefits before retiring or separating from the service. New designations cannot be made and benefits cannot be transferred after leaving the service. However, certain changes between designated family members can be made, such as changing the months of benefits.

For those who are eligible, but getting out soon: Make damn sure you check the website while still on active duty to ensure that your application for transferrability is approved. Once you are no longer active duty you will face severe if not insurmountable hurdles to get re-submitted. Trust me, I know...