• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Plebe Hazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
HerrLURP said:
People yell at you, but it's nothing like you see in "Full Metal Jacket."

Of course, because it's a 21 year old Midshipmen, not a 35 year old drill instructor!

35_NSS

I do know one thing, you'd never see a marine posting crap like this. Grow some balls, or go airforce

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
HerrLURP said:
I think the Academy is better off this way...I never quite understood how yelling and screaming at someone was supposed to motivate them to want to follow you, except out of fear.

It's a training mechanism. People don't lead by screaming in the fleet. If you can carry out directions, say, a drill move you've been shown 2 minutes ago with a gunny in your face and spit flying everywhere, you're learning to block out the stress. Meanwhile, there are guys who forget their names when a gunny is yelling at them.

flyr534

And those guys that forget their names when someone is screaming, or for that matter are even worried about someone screaming at them, dont need to be in the military! This sounds like an airforce discussion.

35_NSS

AMERICAN ACE, ha, thats funny, what in the hell have you flown ace, i wouldn't even let you fly my 2$ kite. nice pic hypo

usunkmybship

"I do know one thing, you'd never see a marine posting crap like this. Grow some balls, or go airforce"

Ouch :)
well as for the discussion we'll see what happens when we get there:/ I was also concerned about the hazing but they are cutting it down.

35_NSS

hey all i know, is if you can't handle a little hazing, and heaven forbid a little yelling, how in the hell are you gonna handle combat, and if you don't want to go to combat, why the hell you joining the military

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see that no USNA grads have decided to jump in here, probably wiser than me. I am a glutton for punishment and have been really bored at work lately (what do you do when your squadron is going away) so I will wade into this discussion again.

The original question about hazing hasn't really been answered yet. Hazing at any of the Academies has officially not been tolerated for a long time. Unofficially, I have heard very little from the many alumni that I work with that would come remotely close to hazing. There will probably be isolated incidents here and there but it is rare nowadays for that to happen. There are many factors including stricter rules and oversight and a general intolerance of it on all levels. The USNA's proximity to DC and all of it's politicians and media add even another level of scrutiny that you do not find at the other academies.

Physical hazing is very rare in any military organization today. I have seen the effects of it firsthand at my school on a small scale (I went to the Citadel) and it serves absolutely no purpose, it is just stupid. There is still a lot of yelling in any basic trianing (yes, even from 21 year old middies, GYSGT's aren't the only ones who can yell) but that is to add stress to the situation. Combat is stressful and needs quick reactions and obedience, which basic training is suppose to start to prepare you for.

As for your first post Integer, do you realize how you came across? To have a high school junior state that his contemporaries are much better than those who went to Annapolis in the years before comes across as extremely arrogant. How do even know if you haven't even attended the school yet? Wait and see how it is when and if you get there, there is no guarantee that you will go to any of the academies in the first place.

topcuda152

There is still a lot of yelling in any basic trianing (yes, even from 21 year old middies, GYSGT's aren't the only ones who can yell) but that is to add stress to the situation. Combat is stressful and needs quick reactions and obedience, which basic training is suppose to start to prepare you for.
Roger That!!

Integer

Banned
Lol

I said:

[Q]As for changing policies, one could argue that many generations ago, the college accepted everybody and midshipmen drank, partied, and caused havoc all the time. Now, the people that the the college attracts are hard-working individuals who want to be secluded to study and shape themselves for four years. (Well, not really secluded.) So, the argument that can be made is that with these new future officers starting their 'careers' here who are aware about the situation they will be in--ones who can actually follow directions and not go crazy--WHY should the navy go as tough on them as they did on the drunk hooligans who ran amock many years ago?[/Q]

and HerrLURP said:

[Q]I think the Academy is better off this way...I never quite understood how yelling and screaming at someone was supposed to motivate them to want to follow you, except out of fear. Now upperclassmen have to be more creative and inspire the young'uns in a much more professional, "lead by example," fashion.[/Q]

I meant the same thing he said. I said drunks and hooligans because that's what many famous midshipmen of the past were (as teenagers.) When you named some of those people, you actually proved my point.

To be PC, I added that future midshipmen don't have to drink or be hooligans to be successful and possibly even do greater things incomparable to the great things of the past! (It's not just PC, it's true.) I don't want to gloralize drinking just because McCain happened to do it when it was the norm to do it. So what? We all know that they were drunks and hooligans, to put it as shortly as possible. But it doesn't mean we can't have smart, good leaders who are also not hooligans and not drunks, right?

usunkmybship

I figure McCain and I guess those other officers must have been very socialable and popular among people. You know how some troublemakers tend to have lots of friends, those kinds in high school.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
There's nothing like high schoolers discussing the values of American naval heroes....isnt' this a great country?

Here's a thought, don't get so caught up in one school etc that you miss out on the rest of your life. And what in the hell is a Pre-Appointee???

Status
Not open for further replies.