• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Please take some tim to help me out.

HappyGuy

I just recently talked to my cousin about deciding whether the Air Force Academy or the Naval Academy. He goes to USAFA so his answer might be biased but he told me that it is much easier to get a Fighter after flight school since there are many more fighter planes in the Air Force. I was also told that the Air force is trying to make its fighter force a little smaller and are retiring man planes while the Navy is still giving out fighter like normal. So my question to you is getting a fighter slot after flight school easier in the Air Force or the Navy? and which has the higher fail rate. flying a Fighter is the main goal. Doing it in the navy would be amazing though.

Thanks

JSnake

A Navy commander told me a few months ago that if you want to fly, air force is NOT the way to go. Fighter pilots in the air force are truly the rock stars of the air force; it is very difficult to get a fighter pilot slot and there are relatively very few of them. Navy, on the other hand, is easier to secure a fighter slot, depending of course on your performance during training.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just recently talked to my cousin about deciding whether the Air Force Academy or the Naval Academy. He goes to USAFA so his answer might be biased but he told me that it is much easier to get a Fighter after flight school since there are many more fighter planes in the Air Force. I was also told that the Air force is trying to make its fighter force a little smaller and are retiring man planes while the Navy is still giving out fighter like normal. So my question to you is getting a fighter slot after flight school easier in the Air Force or the Navy? and which has the higher fail rate. flying a Fighter is the main goal. Doing it in the navy would be amazing though.

Thanks

There is no answer to your question and no platform guarantees in any service - period. You're also dealing with a lot of misinformation - essentially, everything your "friend" told you is complete BS. Do some reading here on AW about what the Navy/Marine Corps team have to offer, then check out the USAF stuff at baseops.net. Only after you've educated yourself, will we be able to help you, but again, you're asking an unanswerable question. You're going to have to pick something and give it your best, and even after that, you still might be flying helicopters or cargo planes (or nothing at all).

Brett

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot

Thanks

HappyGuy: Does your friend at the USAFA pass his literature/English classes? If so, the best way he can help you is with your writing (I think Brett addressed why his other ways of helping you aren't that effective). Right now you need to be focusing on writing in proper English.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
he told me that it is much easier to get a Fighter after flight school since there are many more fighter planes in the Air Force.
Thanks

He has yet to graduate so he has no real basis to make a claim like that. I agree with Brett that your questions aren't readily answerable. There are many other factors at play such as the vast majority of USAFA all clamoring to be pilots so numbers of fighter seats in USAF doesn't mean it's easier to get one*. Naval Academy grads go to subs, surface ships, special warfare, etc. communities in addition to aviation as well as USMC so smaller numbers of strike fighters in Navy (and USMC) also have corresponding smaller numbers of individuals wanting to go that route. No way to calculate a percentage for that and asking about "fail rates" is a backwards way of saying "what are my chances", which is another unanswerable question and one you shouldn't worry about anyway. I don't think it's advisable to make a decision to join a service based on these type questions. You need to look at a service and aspire to lead as an officer first and foremost.

*USAF announced recently that they are now training more UAV pilots than fighter pilots so you run the risk of going to a console at Creech AFB.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
*USAF announced recently that they are now training more UAV pilots than fighter pilots so you run the risk of going to a console at Creech AFB.

Reason enough to go Navy. At least you will fly SOMETHING if you complete flight school

HappyGuy

Thank you all for you comments. They were all very helpful. This decision is one that i will have to make on my own. Both roads will be very tough but I am sure i will manage. Like usual.

Beans I assure you my english is much more proper on my essays that get graded!!!!! haha

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
Beans I assure you my english is much more proper on my essays that get graded!!!!! haha

Just a little advice. Whenever you write anything for a fairly educated group (such as officers) they ARE grading you on your grammar. Their impressions can be a little more important than what grade you get in high school English.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I would just like mention, and applaud, the overwhelming restraint displayed by members in this thread... :icon_mi_6

That's because I didn't get to it until well after many people responded... When I saw the title I was going to slam him! But, alas, I shall refrain.

I think I've grown some.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who's Tim? Is he any relation to Mister Time?:confused:

Don't you EVER say an unkind word about the Time!

The_Time_promo.jpg

OP: Seriously, you lucked out not getting the "shotgun full of rock salt" welcome for asking that question. Go educate yourself, then come back with specific questions. More new guys have been banned from AW for the "what are my chances of flying fighters?" questions than Chinese spammers.

And in case you missed it - your friend is full of shit.