• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Please help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_wulf

I'm applying to NAVY ROTC and I got a meesage from dodmerb saying that I am disqualified because of my eyes... I sent a rebuttal to them saying that both of my eyes were correctable to 20/20. 15 days later, I recieved the note that said I am still disqualified?!?! Did they just ignore the note I send with the doctor's findings!?? If I get a waiver then its much harder to get into NROTC isn't it? Can I even get a waiver?! Please help
cry_125.gif
cry_125.gif

Fatboy

pilot
they have waivers for everything! I know a SEAL that was active duty and got disqualified for a surgery he had a couple years back. They said he wasn't physically qualfied to be an officer....but yet he was an active duty SEAL. You just have to wait for all the waiver crap to go through. Its a pain in the ass but don't get too freaked out.

Dave Shutter

First of all, waivers are ALWAYS case by case basis so what some other guy got has no bearing whatsoever on you. Waivers are also the option of BUPERS, they don't have to give you one. I've been lucky so far to collect about four of them. It's my understanding that waivers are generally given because they're hurting for people in one regard or another, (ie: SNA/SNFO's in FY01) otherwise they wouldn't bother. With high recruiting and retenion these days that might be a factor...might. Anyway, there's a lot more to the vision requirements than simply being 20/20 correctable. Depth perception is key as well as a long list of various optometry lingo I can't recall right now. Vision req's have been discussed endlessly here. There have been numerous posts by people with the specific req's along with links to NOMI/NAMI site's in case you didn't believe them. Click around old posts and that might help you as far as getting an answer.

...and yes, unless you're terminally ill, 4 ft. tall or pregnant, they basically have waivers for everything. Sometimes it's a matter of standing on the right persons desk. Good luck.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I would see the form that says exactly what you were disqualified for. If it's depth perception, you might be up the creek. Color-blindness is also a problem. Check with your recruiter to see what's up.

red_wulf

No it's not depth perception... it just the fact that my right eye is not correctable to 20/20. It's correctable to 20/20-2, that is 2 less letters than 20/20. I'm hoping since I see perfect 20/20 when using both eyes(I have lazy eye)that they will overlook it since its so close?

red_wulf

This is what dodmerb says..

Agency: US Naval Academy Sub Agency:

MD011 - Distant Visual Acuity Exceeding 20/20
Uncorrected visual acuity: Left: 20/30 Right: 20/60
MD088 - Distant Visual Acuity Not Correctable To 20/20 In Each Eye

Note: Item 9 - A subsequent review of your application will be performed at the U.S. Naval Academy as part of the normal application process. The basic requirement for admission is normal (20/20) uncorrected visual acuity in each eye, based on standards for commissioning or special programs. The Naval Academy Admissions Board will automatically consider waivers of the acuity standard for candidates who are otherwise medically qualified; you need not request this review.

Status
Not open for further replies.