• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PLC or OCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

luscombepilot

Airport Bum
I talked to my OSO and he recommended that I apply for PLC instead of OCC. I want aviation and he says its quite easier to be accepted in PLC. Anybody with any knowlege or experience on this issue? Thanks for the responses.

Clux4

Banned
Why are you asking anyone on this site? That is the OSO's job and if he has told you anything why do you need to hear anything anybody on here has to say. Are you questioning the abilities of your OSO.

luscombepilot

Airport Bum
Gee. I thought this was a forum to help people like me. The OSO did say I had a better chance, but he DOESN'T know first hand. I'm not questioning the abilities of my OSO, just asking if anyone else know anymore about this.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back in 95 it seemed that PLC had a slightly higher acceptance rate than OCC. The big thing is PLC you are still in college and can always re-apply for OCC if you dont get selected. Things may have changed but the OSO is not going to steer you wrong. Is this a question of going to OCS this summer or next? If it is he will nudge you toward this summer so he can fill his quotas and you can know you are going.

Clux4

Banned
sorry if I over-reacted, but it sounded like you wanted to be sure your OSO knew what he was talking about.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Clux4 said:
sorry if I over-reacted, but it sounded like you wanted to be sure your OSO knew what he was talking about.

yeah... because noones ever heard of an OSO being jacked up.

usmcecho4

pilot
Go PLC if you can. Here are some good reasons to go PLC over OCC

1. It is two six week sessions so your body won't have to endure 10 weeks of OCS. A lot of the guys in my platoon's bodies were about to fall apart at the end of seniors and they would have been medically dropped if they had to go another 4 weeks.
2. Your pay will be significantly higher if you go PLC instead of OCC. Instead of being an O-1 with zero years you will be an O-1 with 3 years. This translates to and extra $600 a month basically for the rest of your early career (nice car payment). Before anyone decides to blast me with the whole joining for the money arguement, Assitant Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen Michael J. Williams told me this as reason to go PLC over OCC. He also told me that at flight school when he was asked why he wanted to be a pilot his response was, "Because I understand they pay me an extra $100 a month to fly." There is nothing wrong with looking out for yourself when it comes to your finances.
3. You do not have to accept your commission upon finishing OCS. You have your whole senior year of college to look around at the civilian job market and then make an informed decision as to accept or decline your commssion.
4. Acceptance rate for PLC is also higher than OCC.

Go PLC if you can.

kill,
usmcecho4

Eric459

Sorry to intervene on your question, but don't you also get some kind of monthly stipend while you are still in school if you keep your GPA up, or was I reading something wrong?

usmcecho4

pilot
Eric459 said:
Sorry to intervene on your question, but don't you also get some kind of monthly stipend while you are still in school if you keep your GPA up, or was I reading something wrong?

You can accept the stipend but it will add 6 months to the end of your contract and you have to pay it back if you do not accept your commission. This may not be a bad deal for air contracts because you are already looking at a 120 month contract as i it is. For ground contract guys it looks a little less appealing. I didn't take the money because I didn't really need it and who knows about what opportunities will be availible in 10 years. It would be a shame to miss out on an airline slot in exchange for extra beer money in college.

kill,
usmcecho4

Status
Not open for further replies.