• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Plc/ocs

MiracleWhip

Hi, I am interested in becoming a Marine Corps Officer and from what I've gathered from my OSO, the only option to getting a guaranteed pilot slot is through PLC.

I was wondering what the graduation percentage for PLC was....is it common to get dropped out?

Also, I have been reading on these forums the Marines aren't giving out guaranteed contracts anymore....can anyone verify?

tdubb90

I just got an air contract a couple of days ago. It's guaranteed as long as you do something stupid/fail the flight physical. There are other factors, but those are things that would likely keep you from being accepted to OCS as well. I'm sorry I really can't tell you more, it's best to talk to your OSO about.

djj34

pilot
Currently, OCC does not have air contracts for this fiscal year, and most likely the next. PLC still has them, but they may be much more competitive now. There's a whole plethora of things that will get you booted from OCS but if you go to Quantico in sound health and with a can-do attitude, ready to learn, you will probably be all right. Like tdubb90 said, don't do anything stupid. Where in CA are you? I can probably get you contact info for a local OSO.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Currently, OCC does not have air contracts for this fiscal year, and most likely the next. PLC still has them, but they may be much more competitive now. There's a whole plethora of things that will get you booted from OCS but if you go to Quantico in sound health and with a can-do attitude, ready to learn, you will probably be all right. Like tdubb90 said, don't do anything stupid. Where in CA are you? I can probably get you contact info for a local OSO.

That and AW doesn't "do" percentages or IAW, "What are my chances?" type responses.:icon_wink

It's guaranteed as long as you do something stupid/fail the flight physical.

Huh? Missing a word here or what?

Pariel

According to the numbers from this candidate's juniors class and the supposed numbers from seniors, about 38% of candidates make it through OCS.

However, about 30% remove themselves in between juniors and and seniors, so basically the top two-thirds of candidates make it through.

I think you're trying to say that the attrition rate is around 38% which is pretty accurate. Graduation rates aren't that low though. Tends to be around 50% during the winter sessions and for the female platoons year round. As for the topic starter, OCS is not particularly complicated, just be motivated, in shape, show up for the right reasons and don't be a total screw-up. The drop-out rate isn't something you should really concern yourself with if you are determined to become a Marine Officer.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
According to the numbers from this candidate's juniors class and the supposed numbers from seniors, about 38% of candidates make it through OCS.

However, about 30% remove themselves in between juniors and and seniors, so basically the top two-thirds of candidates make it through.

Did you really just refer to yourself as "this candidate?"

wow....

Pariel

Honestly it made sense at the time. I've only been home for a total of 9 days though, so I think I've earned a pass on this one.

WinterMute

Skirmisher
I think you're trying to say that the attrition rate is around 38% which is pretty accurate. Graduation rates aren't that low though. Tends to be around 50% during the winter sessions and for the female platoons year round. As for the topic starter, OCS is not particularly complicated, just be motivated, in shape, show up for the right reasons and don't be a total screw-up. The drop-out rate isn't something you should really concern yourself with if you are determined to become a Marine Officer.​

I second the general notion, but had a question about the female attrition rate. One of the Marines at my OSO said that of the last 7 females they sent out to OCS, only one made it through, and only Juniors at that.
I recently also ran into a random blogger that claimed the female attrition rate for his winter OCC-C class was around 90%.
I thought that sounded a bit ridiculous, as I remember the female platoon dropping maybe 50-60% when I went through.

Has anyone else heard about any recent increases in female attrition? I looked up some old official numbers (1992) which said the female dropout rate was then about what the male dropout rate is now (38%). I know that the female dropout rate was always a bit higher because of social conditioning and whatnot, but are they making changes to the female PT program or something?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I can't speak to a given year's numbers. The female attrition rate is usually a little higher than the males. There's generally a slightly higher drop rate for injuries. Probably a bigger factor is the drop rate from juniors to seniors or from seniors/combined to graduation/commissioning. Call it social conditioning, different priorities, whatever. There are more women who decide to hang it up in response to getting engaged, family pressure, etc, than men. I know one personally.

That said, we're talking maybe 5-15% difference in my personal and highly anecdotal experience. The 1 out of 7 success rate for a particular OSO may reflect more on the OSO than on women as a whole. That's a small sample size, for one. For another, he may have been trying to make his, um, goal ("quota" being a dirty word in the Corps) and either recruited women ill-suited to make it or didn't put in enough effort to prepare them. He probably got burned on that one, because OSOs don't just get graded by how many they ship, but by how many graduate.

WinterMute

I just thought it odd because the attrition rate for the guys they sent was much better than average. (More like 10-20%) Also, it might have been a fluke, and it could have been 1/6 or 1/5, my memory is fuzzy. That figure combined with some random things I had seen on the interwebs had me confused.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
I spoke to a female in the 10-week platoon during sick call this summer while I was at Juniors and she claimed that her platoon had dropped from about 55 to around 20. They were on Week 7 at the time so there were still some hard PT events coming up.

Keep in mind that I was told all of this about 10 weeks ago while I was in the middle of OCS, accuracy is not guaranteed.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
He probably got burned on that one, because OSOs don't just get graded by how many they ship, but by how many graduate.

I was under the impression when I shipped they recieved credit for how many actually entered training. Therefore, you couldn't get a free trip to Quantico and roll during in-processing.

J

JJax107

Hi, I am interested in becoming a Marine Corps Officer and from what I've gathered from my OSO, the only option to getting a guaranteed pilot slot is through PLC.

I was wondering what the graduation percentage for PLC was....is it common to get dropped out?

Also, I have been reading on these forums the Marines aren't giving out guaranteed contracts anymore....can anyone verify?

Theyre giving out contract alright. It just takes alost of individual self discipline and sacrifice. Its comes down to how bad you want it