• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PLC after reserves

PCHomerun_4

I've been looking into both the Marine Corps and the Navy. I'll be honest I'm pretty set on the Navy, but I'm also learning about the Marines. I'm still in college so I've been talking to a few recruiters to gain as much info as I can. When I talk to the Marines, they try to persuade recruits to go to the reserves before applying to PLC. They say the applicant is more competitive, because he/she is already a committed Marine. This makes since, but school takes up all of my time and that is not an option. I know everyone says talk to an officer recruiter not enlisted. I've talked to an enlisted guy and an officer recruiter. They both say the exact same thing. They say go reserves first. I've been thinking about this over the weekend and I want to know what you guys think. Has anyone heard this before? For a college student devoted to school, I think this would slow down the path to a commissioning, but what do yall think?

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
You don't have to enlist in the reserves b4 going to OCS. Only about 10% of my Platoon at Seniors were Priors. Just keep good grades, get your PFT up, and do some extra-curricular activities

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I've been looking into both the Marine Corps and the Navy. I'll be honest I'm pretty set on the Navy, but I'm also learning about the Marines. I'm still in college so I've been talking to a few recruiters to gain as much info as I can. When I talk to the Marines, they try to persuade recruits to go to the reserves before applying to PLC. They say the applicant is more competitive, because he/she is already a committed Marine. This makes since, but school takes up all of my time and that is not an option. I know everyone says talk to an officer recruiter not enlisted. I've talked to an enlisted guy and an officer recruiter. They both say the exact same thing. They say go reserves first. I've been thinking about this over the weekend and I want to know what you guys think. Has anyone heard this before? For a college student devoted to school, I think this would slow down the path to a commissioning, but what do yall think?

Interesting.... So it sounds like the recruiters are encouraging you to enlist in the reserves prior to becoming an officer? The conventional AW wisdom on the blue side (Navy) is NOT to go enlisted in order to become an officer. However, I'm not so sure with the Marine Corps' different commissioning programs that is the same wisdom holds, especially in your particular situation. Any green AW's care to comment?

Interesting.... So it sounds like the recruiters are encouraging you to enlist in the reserves prior to becoming an officer? The conventional AW wisdom on the blue side (Navy) is NOT to go enlisted in order to become an officer. However, I'm not so sure with the Marine Corps' different commissioning programs that is the same wisdom holds, especially in your particular situation. Any green AW's care to comment?

Boot camp gives a huge step up at OCS than being a regular joe schmo. Thats about all I can say. I am not a prior, and juniors was a serious eye-opener. If you don't want to enlist, don't. Go for the right reasons. Not just to pad your package.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Will you be more competitve in the first three weeks of OCS as a prior? Yes. Is that a good enough reason to enlist in the reserves? No. The huge majority of candidtaes who report to OCS and complete the POI successfully are not priors.

If you enlist you are opening the door to significant delays in your path to becoming a commissioned officer. I can't imagine why an OSO would be pushing away prospective applicants with that "already a committed Marine" bullshit. If you're in college and want to be an officer of Marines first, don't enlist.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
You need to make sure you are talking to an Marine Corps OSO (officer selection officer) I see you live in MS I think this is the OSO's website for that area, he is in Alabama http://almarineofficer.com. This gives you the info you need to contact him and get all the info you need to make an informed decision.

In my opinion you do not need to go the enlisted route before going to OCS, as other have stated this can greatly complicate things for you. Also you still need to obtain your bachelors degree so school is still very important to finish. If you have any questions PM me.

Cuban Eight

Contributor
I had the same thing happen to me. I talked to an enlisted recruiter and then he sent me to the Miami OSO. For the 1 hour I was talking to the OSO he probably spent like 45 minutes trying to get me into the reserves as enlisted. I really didn't understand why an officer recruiter was trying to get me to go as enlisted first instead of just helping me or at least give me advice to get me to OCS.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
*sniff*sniff*something stinks...

As a former SSgt, let me assure you that though you would definitely not regret being enlisted first, joining the reserves simply to gain "experience" is absolute bullshit. For one thing, with the deceleration of OIF, and the fact that you would immediately enroll in PLC, you're not gonna get any experience worth a shit anyway.
I'm not exactly sure why officers are jumping on that bandwagon, but I can come up with a pretty damn good idea. It's called numbers. The Marine Corps has been tasked by congress to reach 202,000 total OPT(TO) pretty shortly, up from 178,000 in 2004, and have been given the money to do so. They've stood up a new battalion, and are now fluffing out the ranks of an entire support structure. The recruiting command is feeling the pressure, since they'll "lose" the money if they don't reach milestones by 2010. It could very well be that the OSOs have met their quotas for the year by and large, and are being directed to lend their enlisted counterparts a helping hand. Convincing kids to join the reserves first is a "two birds with one stone" tactic, since both the OSO and the recruiter would be able to count the kid on their rosters.
I can already attest to the fact that the Corps has been pulling a couple fast ones this year, none that affect kids' careers, but somewhat underhanded manipulations of numbers.

Bottom line, blow it off, insist on PLC.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
So it sounds like the advice is the same on the green side of the house....

DO NOT enlist for the sole purpose of becoming an officer.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
So it sounds like the advice is the same on the green side of the house....

DO NOT enlist for the sole purpose of becoming an officer.

I couldn't agree with this statement more. In fact some very useful things have been said. However, I was one of "those" who DID decide to do the reserves while in college, and I will never regret this decision. This is because I did it for the right reasons IMO. I joined because I wanted to see what the enlisted side was like, also to experience the "ground side" as I was going AIR with the PLC program. First and foremost I wanted know what it would be like in the boots of an enlisted Marine, gain some leadership experience, learn an MOS, and have the added bonus of the G.I. Bill. Mostly I was sick of NOT being in the Marines :)

Regardless, just because this worked for me doesn't mean its right for you. I certainly don't regret it because I've made lifelong friends and have had what I consider to be valuable training. You also get a feel for the culture... and what others have said about you having the leg up is certainly true. 8/10 classes you will have at OCS are the same as boot.

Anyway, bottom line. If you want to be enlisted for a little while for the experience (however limited it may be).. then go enlisted. If you want to pad your package don't do it.

I have been in for about 4 years now.... it did delay me approximately 9 months with regard to graduation from college. Keep that in mind.

/2c

PCHomerun_4

I would think enlisting in the reserves while in college would slow down the road to a commission. I talked to 2 different Officer recruiters in the area, they say enlisting in the reserves would definitely give you an advantage at OCS, because prior training. I personally talked to an officer candidate that enlisted in the reserves and then the next year went to PLC. She said that the top five in here class were prior reservists. These are attractive statistics, but like you guys said if you are already competitve and a full time student, there is no reason to enlist...unless you just want to. I have talked to the Alabama OSO that was in the link above and he was the most helpful. I appreciate the info. All this was helpful. Thanks.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
I have talked to the Alabama OSO that was in the link above and he was the most helpful. I appreciate the info. All this was helpful. Thanks.

Time to Whore up some REP Points for the link to the OSO.

I'm glad I could help get you in touch with an OSO and good luck on you application process.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I would think enlisting in the reserves while in college would slow down the road to a commission. I talked to 2 different Officer recruiters in the area, they say enlisting in the reserves would definitely give you an advantage at OCS, because prior training. I personally talked to an officer candidate that enlisted in the reserves and then the next year went to PLC. She said that the top five in here class were prior reservists. These are attractive statistics, but like you guys said if you are already competitve and a full time student, there is no reason to enlist...unless you just want to. I have talked to the Alabama OSO that was in the link above and he was the most helpful. I appreciate the info. All this was helpful. Thanks.

Depending on MOS and your school schedule it should delay you for 9 months to a year. Not too bad... but then again it also depends on your reasons for enlisting in the first place.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Time to Whore up some REP Points for the link to the OSO.

I'm glad I could help get you in touch with an OSO and good luck on you application process.
Just a helpful warning...asking for rep points usually get you some....bad rep points.