• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Platform variety throughout a career

pocketsizejesus

Do the chickens have large talons?
I just selected helos (first choice) and am damned excited about it, but lately I've been having some lingering concerns about the long term. Right now, I want nothing more than to fly MH-60s, but I wonder how interesting a career I can make out of it. In short, I'd like to see some platform variety over the next ~20 years, but I don't know how much to reasonably expect.
After talking with some of the old, retired pilots I know (grandfather's buddies), I get the impression that in the past it was fairly common to fly a wide variety of aircraft throughout a naval career. Many even had flown both fixed and rotary winged aircraft. However, I get the impression that this is really not the case today; especially in the helicopter world. Also, do people ever transition from fixed wing to rotary or vice versa these days?
So, do any of the experienced Aviators here care to offer any wisdom or insight?
I know predicting the future is pretty much a crap shoot, but I'm sure any insight can be helpful.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, do people ever transition from fixed wing to rotary or vice versa these days?
Yes

So, do any of the experienced Aviators here care to offer any wisdom or insight? I know predicting the future is pretty much a crap shoot, but I'm sure any insight can be helpful.
Don't try to predict the future.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One issue w/ trying to get time in many different platforms nowadays is that there just aren't that many. You pretty much have the <x>-2, h-60, h-53 (which will go away, probably in your career), and the F-18. The other issue is one of rice bowls. I don't know if there will ever be a helo CAG, but I'm sure the jet community would think that idea a bit out of the box. Amongst the Navy air wing, helos aren't that high up. Despite this, I believe current CAGs are current in the -60 as well.

The other issue is that some unnamed communities see "flying diversity" as a negative thing when it comes to a career. You want to be exposed to as many different communities and airframes as you can? Oh, obviously you don't want to get on the command fast track. Yes, I'm oversimplifying it, but you get the idea. That all said, though, a good way to get lots of exposure would be to go to one of the VX squadrons, either as TPS guy or as just your shore tour. I know several helo buds who have gone there. It's a great chance to see other platforms, and still remain competitve, career-wise, if that's your concern.

Lastly, welcome to the demanding and dynamic club. Helos are a TON of fun to fly!

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
have you considered test pilot school? by the end you'll have flown dozens of aircraft and afterwards as a test pilot i'd guess you'd be flying different platforms as well.

I just selected helos (first choice) and am damned excited about it, but lately I've been having some lingering concerns about the long term. Right now, I want nothing more than to fly MH-60s, but I wonder how interesting a career I can make out of it. In short, I'd like to see some platform variety over the next ~20 years, but I don't know how much to reasonably expect.
After talking with some of the old, retired pilots I know (grandfather's buddies), I get the impression that in the past it was fairly common to fly a wide variety of aircraft throughout a naval career. Many even had flown both fixed and rotary winged aircraft. However, I get the impression that this is really not the case today; especially in the helicopter world. Also, do people ever transition from fixed wing to rotary or vice versa these days?
So, do any of the experienced Aviators here care to offer any wisdom or insight?
I know predicting the future is pretty much a crap shoot, but I'm sure any insight can be helpful.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Yes

Don't try to predict the future.

Steve's got it right. Get your wings, FRS, and first sea tour out of the way. You'll need to be miles deep on your aircraft and the mission if you want to be competitive for DH tour. But along the way there's VT/HT, TPS, PEP, etc. opportunities. Plenty of chances to fly something else.

But realize you'll want to be super deep in your aircraft and mission. You come out of your first sea tour as a HAC, FCF, and maybe NATOPS Instructor. At that point you'll just be solidly competent. By the time you are ready to go to sea again as a O-4 you'll need the aircraft specific experience to handle the bigger picture stuff.

On the other hand look at all the change the last 5 years has brought to the Helo community. No one could have forseen things like battlefield MEDEVAC, or combat recon, or special warfare logistics missions deeply inland, routine NVG ops, vertrep on NVG, etc.

Who knows what's next?