• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Platform specifics

ArkansasFlyBoy

None
I know there is some old info floating around in here, but can some of the fleet bubbas please throw some new stuff up here for folks going through primary. Maybe some updated info on the specific mission of the NFO in each platform, some info on the community of each platform (where you can get stationed, family life, career progression, etc), and any extra gouge you may have that can assist in future FOs come selection day (or at least dream sheet day). I originally put down strike, but from what I hear, P/N is not to bad. Please, any good gouge will help out a ton!!! Thanks.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Go strike. That's where its at.....Unless you like to record when each engine starts..."Flight, this is Nav, there is a hill 26 miles ahead, turn right 023." ;)

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Quality of life: P-3's in KBay... Mission satisfaction as an NFO in P-3 land: about as rewarding as driving an ice pick through your eye. Can't speak to Strike or E2....yet. There were some BIG hills out there though, phew, MOSA ftw!

IMHO there is an inverse relationship between QOL and Mission satisfaction between Maritime and the Boat. 2¢

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Agree with FLYTPAY... go strike. I did. I'm glad I did. Prowlers are cool. Simple as that.

As a Prowler guy, when you're in a squadron, its either Oak Harbor WA or Atsugi (soon to be Iwakuni supposedly) Japan. Shore tours... you're game for anything you're eligible to fill.

NASWI area is ok for family life...You are kinda out of the way from stuff. 40 minute drive from Oak Harbor to the mall & interstate, Seattle is about a 2 hr trek, Canada's about the same, ferries to pretty much everywhere.

As far as fleet life is concerned, I'm just a RAG student. What I can tell you is that most guys are deploying within a few weeks of finishing.

HelluvaWreck

"Sure thing...when pigs fly..."
If I could do it all over again...

I would choose strike and go with Rhinos. But it all depends on the kind of lifestyle you want to live. Life in maritime is much cozier, but I agree with Dirty in regard to mission/job satisfaction: It's about as fun as getting that damned smallpox shot. :p

Life flyin' out of K-Bay wasn't too shabby, flying in the glorious "war winnebago." But look where it's gotten me now--I get to roll around in the sand with the Army guys enjoying life as a wingless NFO. I do miss being in the air, I gotta tell ya.

Wherever you go, there's gonna be fun sh*t that happens, and stupid sh*t to put up with. Like we all say here in the Sandbox:
"Embrace the suck, 'cause the world's all FOB-ed up." :D

P3 F0

None
I still have to say that P-3's are where it's at for quality of life. Your deployments are easier than the boat, plus you get per diem.

One of the big advantages of VQ over VP is that, from what I saw, the P-3 guys are arm-chair graded on every f*cking flight. WTF? Plus, the VQ deployments were much shorter than VP, although we probably spent more aggregate time on the road. [all this is from my experience back in 2000-2005; not sure if it's any different now]

NASWI was great, JAX was good, Brunswick sort of sucked, IMO. K-bay would probably be awesome.

Sure, the job isn't as fun as strike, but life is a trade-off. Pick your poison.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I still have to say that P-3's are where it's at for quality of life. Your deployments are easier than the boat, plus you get per diem.

One of the big advantages of VQ over VP is that, from what I saw, the P-3 guys are arm-chair graded on every f*cking flight. WTF? Plus, the VQ deployments were much shorter than VP, although we probably spent more aggregate time on the road. [all this is from my experience back in 2000-2005; not sure if it's any different now]

NASWI was great, JAX was good, Brunswick sort of sucked, IMO. K-bay would probably be awesome.

Sure, the job isn't as fun as strike, but life is a trade-off. Pick your poison.

In terms of EP-3 vs P-3, do you really get much of a choice? Or is it for the VQ that you don't ask to be in it, they ask you?

MiG15

pilot
None
In terms of EP-3 vs P-3, do you really get much of a choice? Or is it for the VQ that you don't ask to be in it, they ask you?

You had a choice when I selected. VQ (Rota) was the most competitive followed by VP K-bay, then the rest was a wash. Everyone (yes, there might be an exception) was more concerned with lifestyle and location than anything else.

On the NFO mission side I would choose VQ over VP again. In VQ you spend very little time calling out MOSA and quickly progress to more "rewarding" jobs.

Plus a TS/SCI clearance is nice!:D

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You had a choice when I selected. VQ (Rota) was the most competitive followed by VP K-bay, then the rest was a wash. Everyone (yes, there might be an exception) was more concerned with lifestyle and location than anything else.

On the NFO mission side I would choose VQ over VP again. In VQ you spend very little time calling out MOSA and quickly progress to more "rewarding" jobs.

Plus a TS/SCI clearance is nice!:D

Good to know. They still have VQ in Rota and other places or are they all in Whidbey?