• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Plasma TV

matt6599

BDCP SNA 2007
This isn’t really a deal from a company but rather a deal from me. I have a family member who works for LG electronics and can buy plasma TVs pretty cheap. The tvs usually have like a 1/4-1/2 scratch on the protective cover over the plasma on the TV. The scratches can not be seen once the tv is turned on unless you are about 6 inches from the screen but they can be seen a little bit when the tv is turned off (not sure if anyone would care about that). Anyways, I can get the tv's really cheap so if anyone is looking for one PM me and tell me what you are looking for and I will see what I can do. For example of how cheap, right now he has access to a 42" widescreen HDTV plasma that he can sell to someone for about $900 plus shipping I think he said the MSRP on the tv was around $3200. Sorry this was so long just wanted to make sure I touched all the bases.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
FYI for all you AD types...
The navy will not move Plasma televisions. This is due to them being very fragile and expensive.

This info is current as of my last PCS in DEC.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
that, and have fun dropping another couple grand in 4 years when they burn out

spend the extra money and get an LCD or one of those thinner-than-a-normal-tv-but-not-quite-lcd/plasma-thin ones (forget the name)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
bch said:
The navy will not move Plasma televisions. ....

AMAZING !!! So you pull duty in Japan, buy the latest hi-end Plasma (the J's are usually @ 1 year ahead of us consumer-electronically) .... AND THEN THE NAVY WILL NOT MOVE IT ???!!!

ah-sooooooo ..... If soooooooo then, is Web-san screwed on his PCS to K-Bay, or what ???

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A4sForever said:
ah-sooooooo ..... If soooooooo then, is Web-san screwed on his PCS to K-Bay, or what ???
No, web-san sold all his electronics at garage sale in Kbay before coming to HI, all set to go wild and purchase the latest and greatest (see hun, it hangs on the WALL!!!!). Did ALOT of research last year, and basically convinced myself NOT to purchase a PLASMA, as someone already alluded to above. Instead, I purchased the pinnacle of old school technology, and it is a BEAST, great picture, and works well with my ghetto/home built TIVO/PVR:

KV27FS320_2.jpg

Awaiting the next generation of LCD, and going to take the plunge then. Or more realistically, retire, take my pay cut, and beg A4s or HAL for recommendations and a job carrying their pub bag and getting them home from the bars! :D

snizo

Supply Officer
squeeze said:
that, and have fun dropping another couple grand in 4 years when they burn out

spend the extra money and get an LCD or one of those thinner-than-a-normal-tv-but-not-quite-lcd/plasma-thin ones (forget the name)

DLP?

If you've got a nice dark room and a good sorround system, you could go for a front projector. They're about the size of a Usually only $1000-1200 to start for a pretty good one. Pictures up to a few feet big in hi def. Not a bad deal - cept when the light bulbs burn out and you have to throw down $400 for a new bulb..

Projector Info

Circle K

pilot
DLP - digital light projection is what squeeze is thinking and snizo suggested.

It's manufactured by Texas Instruments right now. Brand new, and even movie theatres are scrambling for it. The picture quality isn't technically as good as Plasma. But it's extremely close and still does HD well. On the big plus side the quality doesn't degrade like plasma in a few years. Right now it's quite expensive, Best Buy actually has them on sale this week 51" for $3100. So about 1K more than you can get plasma right now.

I have no idea if they are as delicate as plasma or if the navy has a policy on moving them yet, maybe someone out there knows....

LSUMarine

Lay off me! I'm starving!
When I PCS'ed from Corpus to here in Meridian in April, PPO offered to move my plasma. They only wanted to know in advance so that they could have the movers bring the right type of packing materials. I wouldn't let them move it though, brought it up myself in the POV.

T-man

Go small!

This little guy is a DLP projector, does 480p (HDTV) and your screen can be any size you want it to be. All in about 5lbs of weight and smaller than a briefcase. I love mine!

I bought mine when they first came out at about $1400, but you can get it now for about $900.

Bild38.JPG

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Circle K said:
DLP - digital light projection is what squeeze is thinking and snizo suggested.

50" DLP - that was Christmas this year (and probably the next couple for that matter, as I was expressly forbidden by the home office from buying another TV for 'a long damn time'."

Yeah, a bit bigger than a plasma, but no burn-in risk, has truer blacks than plasma, and w/ the in-home-service warranty, I can burn out a bulb at my convenience for the next 5 years. Two bulbs and I'll have more than done better than the warranty (bulbs for mine are about $250). At an 8000-hr rating, that's nearly 3 years of 8 hours every day. That's a lot of TV. Ok, on second thought, that's a lot of TV for some of you... :icon_mi_1

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Does DLP not have the wide viewing angle of plasma or is that just projection? I thought that the plasmas can run like 5 years "continously" before burning out so that is quite a long time considering most of us only watch TV a few hours a day at most, and notice I said most of us. I didn't realize that the images degrade over time in plasmas as squeeze alluded to.

jpmizzou

pilot
DLP is definately the way to go. I spent two years selling TV's/Stereo equipment at Circuit City which by the way is an awesome part-time job - sweet discount to blow a wad of money right before commissioning with. It's pretty ridiculous, basically all I own is a bed and a $7500 enternainment system (I only spent $3700 - told you the discount was sweet), but hey that's all the furniture I need for flight school right? :icon_mi_1

Anyways, you can get some 42" plasmas cheaper than a 50" DLP, but it's not the plasmas you want most likely. It's going to be smaller and generally an Enhanced Definition (420P) versus (720P/1080i) quality and plasmas DO burn out generally within 8-12 years and are virtually impossible to work on. DLP has an awesome picture that most would not be able to tell the difference between and is rated to last 20+ years (you're just replacing the bulb every 4-6 years depending on how much you watch tv).

Another fact that is usually neglected is having to move all the time,which you will most likely do in the military. Everyone talks about how great it is that you can mount the TV on the wall bla bla bla, but do you realize the hassle and cost of mounting it on the wall so it actually looks nice and clean (concealing all your cables, cords and such)? You're looking at around 400-600 usually to have it done if you don't do it yourself. I've seen alot people buy a plasma to put it on the wall and it actually ends up on a stand or in an armoire. My DLP is slim (around 15") and light (75 lbs, compared to 130 for a 50"Plasma) and it looks awesome on a stand.

LCD Projections are pretty comparable to DLP, but they loose more picture quality over time (I saw this happen to display models on the floor, they just weren't as bright as they were new).

Sorry for the rant, but I spent more time staring at and selling tv's my last two years of college than I did in class/studying. :D

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Mine's great. Sit WELL off center and have a 4.0 picture. I'd have to say about a 130-140 deg viewing "window." Some degradation vertically (i.e. standing close and looking down on it), but it's parked at skull level when sitting and isn't a problem. Keep in mind normal changes in eyeball level like sitting on couch vice lying on couch make no difference at all.
b2c_m_hlp5085.jpg

Has a nice wrap-around metal/glass shelf component rack as well (extra).