• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Places to live in P-cola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unfUSN

I just got picked up for lat transfer to NFO... I have been out of OCS for about 2 years and I was hoping that someone can tell me some good places to live...

Is it better to live near NAS p-cola or Sherman field? TO tell the truth I 'm not sure if they are close to each other or not.

Thanks for the help...
ENS Payne

Today, the real test of power is not the capacity to make war but the capacity to prevent it
- Anne O'Hare McCormick

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Congrats on the lateral transfer! One of the AMDOs at our command just got picked up for NFO also.

Places in pensacola? Well, I had a house in the scenic heights area, near Cordova mall, and wasn't too bad of a drive into the base. Other single friends had places at Governor's Gate and Kings Mill (hopefully I have the names right, it has been like 3 years). They were new construction when I was there, for apartment living, and were not bad at all. Other people I knew pooled together and got places down by the beach, more of a commute, but they enjoyed the lifestyle.

I am sure that others on here that are actually in pcola will have some good ideas...

krtyxl

How bad is the commute from Whiting to P'Cola for API? I have a family and will be living in base housing at Whiting while I do API. I know it isn't ideal, but as a dad I don't have a lot of choice.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If memory serves correct, it took me roughly 25-35 minutes to get to Whiting from Scenic Hieghts, so, you are probably looking at 35 min drive or so, all depending on what time of day you are going. Those O'dark 30 mornings for those early briefs were painful driving TO whiting....

jwnole

Might also look in Milton, Pace, or Gulf Breeze. Of the three, Gulf Breeze is nicest and there is a relatively new bridge (3$ toll) which makes it midway between Whiting and NAS.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The commute from Whiting to Mainside is a haul. I've done a couple of times when we had to dunkers and stuff, and it sucks. I'd guess a good solid hour at least, what w/ all the traffic down by Mainside. Another option maybe to stay in the Q down at Mainside while in API. I don't know if you family is already there or when they are going to show up, but another option is to not move into housing until you finish API. A good friend of mine lived out in town while he was stashed (back then it was a good 2+ months) and then moved to family housing at WF once he started Primary (and they had room). He was paid for the move.

I lived in Governors Gate by UWF, and it was a 25 minute, mostly freeway commute to Mainside and a solid 30-35 minute commute to WF. I took every well paved back road I knew though to cut down on the time, so it can take up to 40 minutes if you go through Milton.

unfUSN

Thanks for the help... just one more thing. After API at NAS P-cola I think I will go to Sherman Field? Is that near the NAS or is that in Milton?

Thanks again...
ENS Payne

Today, the real test of power is not the capacity to make war but the capacity to prevent it
- Anne O'Hare McCormick

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As jwnole said, it's very close. Actually Sherman Field is located on NAS Pensacola (which is referred to as Mainside). The admin buildings are on one side of the base, and the field w/ the squadrons are on the other.

krtyxl

How close does housing allowance get to paying rent and utilities in the Milton/Gulf Breeze areas?

aftrbrnr

All NFO training is at NAS Pensacola through primary. If you get jets you'll stay in Pensacola for intermediate and advanced, P3's are in Texas, and E2's are in Norfolk.

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by krtyxl
How bad is the commute from Whiting to P'Cola for API? I have a family and will be living in base housing at Whiting while I do API. I know it isn't ideal, but as a dad I don't have a lot of choice.

So, you're a SNA going to Whiting afterwards? Definitely more than 35 minutes to the schoolhouse from Whiting Pines. You'll give yourself about an hour during morning traffic all the way into API and you'll be the requisite 8 - 10 minutes early. But who cares. . Six weeks. . Then you can be near NASWF for the 5-6 month haul of primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.