• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Places to Live in Hampton Roads

Prices??

It's now all ab John B Dey Elementary School which feeds into Great Neck Middle & Cox High School, top notch all around, 2 Navy O's can swing it in those areas & it is very much an aviation type Navy area, mostly jets since it's maybe 10 miles into the gate at Oceana... But it is pricey, have no doubts. My parents bought their second house there in '78, $68K, the house just sold for $310K, it's a 3 BR brick ranch on Paramore so still an ideal location. There are newer, bigger houses but they went up quickly & are not brick. I love that area, has all the benefits of Shore Dr w/out actually being Shore Dr! Oh, incase it matters to anyone, they are getting an awesome new fire/rescue station right at the corner of Great Neck & Shore, Rescue 1 is moving there & that's my old squad, awesome group of people getting top notch facilities if volunteering for any of that is your thing.

What is the price range for a 4BR, 2BA in VA Beach? When we bought the house we are in now, it was listed at 249, now it appraises at 350 only 2 years later. Is the market there in VA appreciating that quickly? God, I hope not.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is the price range for a 4BR, 2BA in VA Beach? When we bought the house we are in now, it was listed at 249, now it appraises at 350 only 2 years later. Is the market there in VA appreciating that quickly? God, I hope not.

'fraid so. VB has been in a housing boom for last few years, but it is apparently cresting, but many folks are still sticking to the sky high prices from last summer. My daughter is looking at 4BR, 2BA and can't find anything under $340 (in neighborhoods she likes) unless you sacrifice square footage (under 2,000ft2) or something else. All in all though, it has seemingly switched to a buyer's market from a seller's market of last year where you paid asking price, period, and had to move fast. Houses are now sitting for weeks, if not months.

trvsmrtn

pilot
My wife and I have been seeing plenty of 4BR, 2BA houses around 2000 sq ft in VA Bch for under 300k. Hopefully we'll be there next week to actually see the neighborhoods.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My wife and I have been seeing plenty of 4BR, 2BA houses around 2000 sq ft in VA Bch for under 300k. Hopefully we'll be there next week to actually see the neighborhoods.

It's very neighborhood dependant :)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

If you think that's bad, you should see what is happening on the Peninsula in York County and up near Williamsburg.

hscs

pilot
Make sure to look at tax rates -- there is a big difference between areas -- 1.08 in Norfolk vs .99 (soon to be .89 I believe) in Va beach.

trvsmrtn

pilot
Well, ended up buying in Whitehurst landing. Seems like a nice area and mostly clear of the jet noise.