• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Places to Live in Hampton Roads

trvsmrtn

pilot
Got orders to HSC Norfolk and with any luck we'll be there next weekend for house hunting. I was stationed in Norfolk from 95 to 99, so I have some knowledge of the area, but I hear that areas like Ocean View and Portsmouth have changed considerably. When we lived in Jacksonville, we chose to buy on the westside because we got more house and value for our money, but we were "cutoff" so to speak, because all of our friends lived out towards the beach. Does anyone who is currently there have any suggestions on where to look and get a good deal, but not be so far from social areas?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
In Oceanview right now, down by the beach a few min from Gate 4. Not bad... defiantly an "in transition" area with potential.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you looking to rent or buy? I have a good realtor contact if you are interested.

Just know that the prices are much more than it was in '99. Lots of my coworkers are living in outer Chesapeake and Suffolk to afford the housing here. If you want to live in VA Beach, plan on spending some coin. Portsmouth has some up and coming areas, but I recommend living other places. I don't really know what the social areas are, but I'm betting they are Norfolk Ghent area, or Chick's Beach area in Va Beach.

Here's a link

trvsmrtn

pilot
We're looking to buy. I don't know what the prices were like in 99 cuz i just lived on the boat, but I had a good idea of where to live and where not to, but like I said, I hear that's changing. As far as wanting to live in the social areas, I just don't want to live somewhere that I'd have to drive 45 minutes or more to see the guys in the squadron or go to a party.

I'd have to say that ocean view would have to be in a good transition, because I don't see how it could get much worse than it was back then.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
I am heading to TACRON at Little Creek. Just closed on a 1500 sqft condo in Cypress Gardens (Weslyan and Diamond Springs Rd). Close to Little Creek and I can easily take follow on orders at NOB, Dam Neck, or Oceana. Built 2001. 3 bedroom, master bath w/ shower and garden tub, hardwood floors, huge garage (17x30). $260k.

If you need a good realtor who will go the extra mile, PM me.

trvsmrtn

pilot
We're looking for a house. I called USAA and they set us up with a real estate agent through their movers advantage program, so we'll give her a shot for now, but I guess it never hurts to have a backup.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the movers advantage program is basically a kickback to you if you use their realtor. I'd rather a personal recommendation any day. If you're going to "give her a shot," don't sign jack squat.

KimberlyD

I would still avoid Ocean View, especially if the party scene is important to you b/c, well "Pop Rocks" & "Greenies" is it for down there still... It is definitely in transition though. We sold a house in the Churchland section of Portsmouth in early 06 & we're glad to be out, the area is up & coming, doing amazing things but they're putting in a huge, noisy terminal right in Churchland where Portsmouth, Chesapeake & Suffolk meet. We made a killing on our house but now b/c of the terminal, the houses are selling for $20K less... We're on NAB Little Creek, I was house hunting & going to school & my husband was TDY so I opted to move into housing b/c the market is crazy here right now & honestly, we want to cut & run in a year & w/ it being such a buyer's market, there is no guarantee we could sell anything we bought. I love being on this side by Chick's Beach, Friday nights roll around, we take a cooler of beer & hang out on the beach w/ friends & all the kids play in the water, we have countless little clubs up & down Shore Dr & using Northampton Blvd, I can be most anywhere I want very quickly. My parents live in Kempsville & Witchduck Rd is being widened (houses were just bought by the city to widen the road), the traffic is unbearable & it is a very SWO type mentality (sorry, my Dad was a SWO, I do not want to live in an area where people measure their grass & talk nonstop ab the weather & the traffic... ), I would rather be in a more dynamic area. If we ever do buy here, it will be a condo in Ghent (I really HATE having to worry ab grass...) so that he can quickly be at NOB & I can walk to Norfolk General. Like I said, we're not fans of traffic either. I think the whole Hampton Roads area has pros & cons, only major worry right now is that the state is trying to sell the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel to a private company (the one that owns Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel) & this company wants to charge $1 each way to offset the costs of dropping more tubes & widening the bridges so that's quite an additional expense that offsets any potential savings by living on the Peninsula.

Short commute??

My wife is going to VFA-106 and I am pencilled in for orders to Legacy Hornets, not sure which squadron yet. I currenly commute like 52 miles one way to work. We want to buy a house in good area, but I REALLY don't want to commute that far again. Also would like to know where the good schools are, we have a daughter starting school next year. Thanks.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My wife is going to VFA-106 and I am pencilled in for orders to Legacy Hornets, not sure which squadron yet. I currenly commute like 52 miles one way to work. We want to buy a house in good area, but I REALLY don't want to commute that far again. Also would like to know where the good schools are, we have a daughter starting school next year. Thanks.

VaBch is chock full of good schools, but many swear by Kingston Elementary or King's Grant Elementary in the Little Neck area. Entry level homes there are running $350K for a 4 bedroom. Not many homes come up for grabs and they tend to go quick. You can search on any of the Real Estate sites using 23452 for zip and decide for yourself. Little Neck is centrally located and allows 20 minutes or so to NAVSTA Norfolk, Dam Neck, Oceana (10-15 mins).

KimberlyD

It's now all ab John B Dey Elementary School which feeds into Great Neck Middle & Cox High School, top notch all around, 2 Navy O's can swing it in those areas & it is very much an aviation type Navy area, mostly jets since it's maybe 10 miles into the gate at Oceana... But it is pricey, have no doubts. My parents bought their second house there in '78, $68K, the house just sold for $310K, it's a 3 BR brick ranch on Paramore so still an ideal location. There are newer, bigger houses but they went up quickly & are not brick. I love that area, has all the benefits of Shore Dr w/out actually being Shore Dr! Oh, incase it matters to anyone, they are getting an awesome new fire/rescue station right at the corner of Great Neck & Shore, Rescue 1 is moving there & that's my old squad, awesome group of people getting top notch facilities if volunteering for any of that is your thing.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I would still avoid Ocean View, especially if the party scene is important to you b/c, well "Pop Rocks" & "Greenies" is it for down there still... It is definitely in transition though. We sold a house in the Churchland section of Portsmouth in early 06 & we're glad to be out, the area is up & coming, doing amazing things but they're putting in a huge, noisy terminal right in Churchland where Portsmouth, Chesapeake & Suffolk meet. We made a killing on our house but now b/c of the terminal, the houses are selling for $20K less... We're on NAB Little Creek, I was house hunting & going to school & my husband was TDY so I opted to move into housing b/c the market is crazy here right now & honestly, we want to cut & run in a year & w/ it being such a buyer's market, there is no guarantee we could sell anything we bought. I love being on this side by Chick's Beach, Friday nights roll around, we take a cooler of beer & hang out on the beach w/ friends & all the kids play in the water, we have countless little clubs up & down Shore Dr & using Northampton Blvd, I can be most anywhere I want very quickly. My parents live in Kempsville & Witchduck Rd is being widened (houses were just bought by the city to widen the road), the traffic is unbearable & it is a very SWO type mentality (sorry, my Dad was a SWO, I do not want to live in an area where people measure their grass & talk nonstop ab the weather & the traffic... ), I would rather be in a more dynamic area. If we ever do buy here, it will be a condo in Ghent (I really HATE having to worry ab grass...) so that he can quickly be at NOB & I can walk to Norfolk General. Like I said, we're not fans of traffic either. I think the whole Hampton Roads area has pros & cons, only major worry right now is that the state is trying to sell the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel to a private company (the one that owns Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel) & this company wants to charge $1 each way to offset the costs of dropping more tubes & widening the bridges so that's quite an additional expense that offsets any potential savings by living on the Peninsula.
http://www.luannsroom.com/comics/luann/archive/luann-20070715.html

:eek: :D