• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pistols for pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator

When watching coverage of the war in Iraq and other past programs on Naval aviation I noticed a variety of pistols being carried by pilots. Is there a standard issued sidearm for pilots or is there some personal choice involved?

NuSnake

Berreta 9mm is one of my favorites, but I also like the Glock 45...but thats me.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
--Edmund Burke

ghost_ttu

I loved the part in the report where they said that when the checkout equip. prior to flight that pistols were optional. Show of hands who would opt not to have the pistol?

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Random story... I read a book on helo rescue pilots and it seemed to imply that there was a tradition of the resecued military pilots giving their gun to the rescue crew as a thank you gesture.

The Sigs are good, I think the Secret Service uses them. What size mags do the pilots get? A couple 15 round mags could make a big difference versus 8 round mags.

bomber

I just got back from 3 years with HC-5 in Guam. We had Sig 226s. I only carried it on one flight though, in East Timor just as the UN was getting ready to leave the locals in charge. I'm not sure if it's just an HC thing, or squadron-specific, or what, but I'm pretty sure the squadron didn't even own any of the Barettas.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
he he he . . . Lookout Saddam!
eyebrows_125.gif
Fun thought but I think I'd be a whole lot happier dropping bombs from inside the cockpit than trying to play Rambo outside it. I've shot the Beretta as well as the Sig P226 and I have to say I definitely would prefer the latter; my hands are too skinny for that fata** grip the M9 has. But I suppose if my butt ended up on the wrong side of the lines I'd use whatever they gave me.

If God isn't a Penn State fan, than why is the sky blue and white?

Brodie143

I was with VF-143 during OEF and our aircrew all carried Sig P226 or P228 one of the two which ever is a 9mm. The instructions at the time which are probably still in effect are that you had to use this pistol, you could not bring your own. The Sig is definitely better for us small handed people, but don't like the Sig's accuracy, I like a Glock better for shooting. As for an mp-5 or any other large weapon, there is no room in a jet and it would get lost when you ejected. The helo pilots did not carry large weapons with them either. But then again, they were carrying seals.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
That's a helluva option! Hmmmmm, 9mm or squad of seals, which to choose.....

If I had my choice of weapons, I'd prefer to just pull the chain gun out (or <insert main gun of the a/c you're piloting>) sling it cross body (Ventura style in Predator), and not worry! But then again, I can't see a downed aviator getting in too many firefights -- too busy bustin butt for friendly lines!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
In Kosovo and Afghanistan, I carried the M9 Baretta. Only option there was. We did try keep two extra M16s in the back, though, when they were available. The crew chiefs had their own 9mms. Each person got 2x15rnd mags for their pistol, plus we had a box in the back with a couple of extras each for the pistols and rifles.

Then there's the bulletproof vest you're wearing, plus your flt gear--it's a pretty good amount of gear to pack.

Phrogs phorever

Brodie143

It was our aircrews belief that the 9mm wasn't going to do much for you anyways. Let's see, I just dropped 2000 lbs on your house and you look a tad bit pissed so now I'm gonna shoot at you with my tiny 9mm. Good idea.

Somewhat humorous story, one of our pilots went flying once and when he returned discovered that he had forgotten to take the ammo with him. The moral, throwing a 9mm will do about the same damage as shooting it.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I used to be of the persuasion that if you a pilot on the deck shooting it out with a pistol, you're making Custer's last stand, anyway. Your E&E has already failed at that point. After hearing of that SEAL who was executed after falling from that helo during Anaconda, I decided that last stand or not, I want to be able to put as many bullets downrange as I can. Next war, I want an M-16A4 strapped to the back of my seat.

Phrogs phorever

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
In Somalia, we carried Berretas with 6 full mags AND M-16s literally slung over our armored seats also with 6 full mags.

Status
Not open for further replies.