• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pistol qualification at OCS?

DC01

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone have recommendations for a place near DC or Norfolk where me and a group of new Ensigns could get our Navy weapons quals? Camp Allen is closed until the Spring.

jmcquate

Contributor
Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone have recommendations for a place near DC or Norfolk where me and a group of new Ensigns could get our Navy weapons quals? Camp Allen is closed until the Spring.
Quantico?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It is unlikely that anyone is going to let a couple of Ensigns walk on and conduct weapon qualifications. First, there's training requirements that you must meet before you even step onto the range that no one will have conducted with you. But beyond that, range space is often at a premium and you can't just say "Hey MA3, mind if I shoot a few rounds today?"

You will qualify for small arms when your command needs you to qualify for small arms. Make friends with the MAs or GMs and they might be able to get you in on the shotgun shoot if they have a last-minute cancellation. Otherwise, the guys who actually need to carry weapons to stand watch will be the ones who are going to the range.

There are some places that offer to do the qualification for a fee, but you're a special kind of stupid if you actually pay for small arms quals.

DC01

It is unlikely that anyone is going to let a couple of Ensigns walk on and conduct weapon qualifications. First, there's training requirements that you must meet before you even step onto the range that no one will have conducted with you. But beyond that, range space is often at a premium and you can't just say "Hey MA3, mind if I shoot a few rounds today?"

You will qualify for small arms when your command needs you to qualify for small arms. Make friends with the MAs or GMs and they might be able to get you in on the shotgun shoot if they have a last-minute cancellation. Otherwise, the guys who actually need to carry weapons to stand watch will be the ones who are going to the range.

There are some places that offer to do the qualification for a fee, but you're a special kind of stupid if you actually pay for small arms quals.

Thank you! I've called Quantico and I always get the run around and then sent to a number that goes nowhere. Honestly, some of this group (DCOs) probably would pay to get qualified just because of desperation to start earning some awards and "proving" themselves so if you have any more information, I'd appreciate it.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Rifle and pistol qualifications don't prove anything. If you pay for them, they just prove that you're an idiot.

You'll have plenty of opportunity to get chest candy for breathing oxygen in due time.

azguy

None
Thank you! I've called Quantico and I always get the run around and then sent to a number that goes nowhere. Honestly, some of this group (DCOs) probably would pay to get qualified just because of desperation to start earning some awards and "proving" themselves so if you have any more information, I'd appreciate it.

Marksmanship ribbons aren't going to impress anyone. Every E-1 coming out of bootcamp gets them.

If you want to prove yourself, do it by coming to drill looking and acting professional, working hard, and leveraging the special skill set that got you into the DCO program in the first place. And frankly, if you want chest candy, as an officer, a gold pin will get you far, far more respect and street cred than (almost) any ribbon ever will.