• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pipeline Percentages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double

I am new on the forum, but I have been looking into a career in military aviation for a very long time now. In all my research, I have had trouble finding any definite numbers on what the percentage of flight students in the various branches go recieve jet slots. I've always been partial to becoming a Marine aviatior, but I've heard that you should only do it if you like the idea of flying helicopters. Can anone give me some kind of idea in terms of which services give out what percentages of jet slots? I know that it changes from week to week but setting personal performance aside, I would like to know in which branch one would have the best and the worst chance of flying jets according to the availability factor.

Mikeman02

Well If it is to my understanding, you are right about the Marines being helecopter pilots, some do get slots in jets like the F-18 or the Av-8 Harrier jet. My cousin went through the Marines in aviation and got selected as a helocopter pilot. He said a very small percentage in his class got jet slots, but that is true in all military branches. All I can say is that if you really wont a slot in jets dont do Army because they use only helocopters or small propeller aircraft. If I were you I would go for the Air Force or Navy, Marines if you are willing to take a chance.Good luck

Mike

Double

What did your cousin say about flying helicopters? Does he enjoy it? What kind of helicopter does he fly? Was he shooting for a jet slot in the first place? Did he get grades in primary? Thanks for your help.

Chris

mcbride_t_m

The Marine Corps is around 60% helos, 30% jets, and 10% KC-130s. Getting a jet slot, or any slot for that matter, is really "needs of the Marine Corps" on the week you would select your platform. The lowest NSS score(the grading scale used to determine the performance of a student pilot (30 is bad, 50 is average, and 70 is Yeager) to get jets in the Corps (as of 6 months ago) was a 53. I flew a jet in primary (the mighty Air Force T-37 Tweet) and loved it. However, I haven't met any pilots yet that didn't love whatever airframe they were given. I am a nugget KC-130 pilot. Jets are glamourous (who didn't see Top Gun?). Helos are exciting (flying at 100' off the deck can add a few thrills to your life). Hercs are expansive (see the world without riding a ship for 6 months). Whatever you get, you will love it. Cheers.

dvl_dog_2531

Quick question for you mcbride_t_m or anyone else -- do you know what the max age for Marine Corps aviation is?

I saw somewhere that there is a Navy reg stipulating you must be commisioned prior to 31 but is it the same in the Marines? I am a prior enlisted Marine and will be 31 in Oct. The only thing open for Marine officer programs right now is aviation and I'm wondering if I am even eligible.

Is this waiverable?

Thanks.

marti

DVL DOG,

The age requirements for the Marines is the same as the Navy. However, if you are Prior enlisted you can get a Waiver. I will look for the reg that talks about this and post it here if I find it. The advantage with Marine aviation is that the Marines seem to have a better ability of accepting a well qualified applicant regardless of some stipulation like age. I think that If you make yourself look like a really good applicant you will get everyhting you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.