• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilots Swim?

werdna

Someone told me today that swimming is optional for the PRT. Is this true? I'm shooting for Outstanding High for my package so I've been focused on running, but swimming needs attention too. Anyone know if, for an SNA app, you need to include swim times?

Did a search but couldn't find anything. :eek: Thanks.

Cleonard19

Contributor
The swim is one of a couple authorized alternatives to the 1.5 mile run. Anyone can do them, if their command as access to the facilities and its not unreasonable to access. The alternatives were put in place primarily for people who have a hard time with the run for whatever reason.

Like, for example, I screwed up my knee last month on leave, and I'm going to do my PFA on the stationary bike instead of the 1.5 mile run so I can satisfy the PFA requirements without further injuring myself.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
You have to swim in API, so getting in decent swim shape is a good idea. That being said, you MUST pass a PRT run when you class up. It's usually run on a chip trail.

Casual

Jammin'
None
You don't need to include swim times in addition to run times for your application, if that's what you're asking.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For most people, it's harder to get a competitive swim score that if you run.

Brett

Scruff

None
Contributor
I think outstanding high is sub 8:40 sidestroke. Not sure on freestyle

werdna

You don't need to include swim times in addition to run times for your application, if that's what you're asking.

thanks. That answers my question. I wasn't aware that the swim was an alternative for the run. Thanks for the quick response all.:D

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
All the fatties I know who don't run like to swim it because they can pass more easily. But as Brett said, I don't think anyone in shape, who's not Michael Phelps, swims the PRT for an Outstanding.

ryan1234

Fast swim times are all about technique..... people that get slow times just usually have a crappy form and it wears them out quicker and they start dragging themselves - so they think it's harder than it really is.

also- I'm not sure if a sidestroke is the best to use for a quick 500 - that's kind of a really long endurance stroke (i.e. mile stuff).

all said unless you were a lifeguard, swam in college/hs, or something like that a 6:38/500yd is a pretty quick time - but with good form and training it should take the average swimmer a summer of constant swimming to get there. Usually that sorta time requires flip turns, controlled breathing, etc. ... probably easier to just run a 8:55

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
All the fatties I know who don't run like to swim it because they can pass more easily. But as Brett said, I don't think anyone in shape, who's not Michael Phelps, swims the PRT for an Outstanding.

Just proctored a PRT this morning, had 2 aviators come in at 7:30 and 7:43.

also- I'm not sure if a sidestroke is the best to use for a quick 500 - that's kind of a really long endurance stroke (i.e. mile stuff).

I normally swim side stroke when I swim my PRT and cut about an 8:23. It is an endurance stroke, but so long as you face the same side of the pool, you give your muscle groups a chance to rest every length... which in turn allows you to push a little harder. :)

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Fast swim times are all about technique..... people that get slow times just usually have a crappy form and it wears them out quicker and they start dragging themselves - so they think it's harder than it really is.

but with good form and training it should take the average swimmer a summer of constant swimming to get there. Usually that sorta time requires flip turns, controlled breathing, etc. ... probably easier to just run a 8:55

I decided while I was on deployment to see if I could get good enough swimming to pass/do well on the PRT. It took me a month to develop decent technique with some guys who swam competitively and another two of working out every other day or so and I was able to swim in the sub 9 minute range. Not great, but not bad either. That said, unless you have nothing better to do (like I did) or already are a competitive swimmer, you'll probably see faster improvement by running.

ryan1234

I normally swim side stroke when I swim my PRT and cut about an 8:23. It is an endurance stroke, but so long as you face the same side of the pool, you give your muscle groups a chance to rest every length... which in turn allows you to push a little harder. :)

8:23 Side stroke is quick... do you do flip turns?

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
No... no flip turns. Can't really see ahead enough to do them. As soon as my hand makes contact with the wall, I grab it, swing my feet under in a crouch, plant them on the wall and shove off.