• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilots license???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar155

is good to go
Right now im in college and just basically getting together a good package for ocs, but i wonder if it is worth getting some hours of flying at a nearby flight school? I realize it is a lot of MONEY. Im shooting for a flight slot, so would it be more helpful to go through a flight school nearby?

doubleeagle

When I applied I had my license and letters of rec from 2 apollo astronauts and an active admiral. I wasn't accepted, but that was 2 years ago. I don't know what the selection competitiveness is like now. Don't let my experience keep you from applying, there could have been something in my package that wasn't up to par. Don't think that just because you have a license,or some hours, you will get selected, that's all I'm sayin. Good luck with your application.

R

RickyDT34

I had letters of rec from a jobless no-load, a rookie cop, and a few others that do not have as distinguished a background as an admiral or astronaut but they have known me my entire life. They wrote a very good letter detailing my character, motivation, great work ethic, etc. but that is actually completely off subject.

Lonestar155 said:
Im shooting for a flight slot, so would it be more helpful to go through a flight school nearby?

You can search the forum for lots of opinions on this but I think that my license and 150 hours helped my application. If not because it proves that I can comprehend aeronautical knowledge then because it shows that I can complete something somewhat difficult while going to school, working a full time job, and in the reserves.

micross1

I was accepted for a Pilot slot before I got my PPL (this was Spring of '03) - so I can't say that it helped my application - but having a bit more flight time has helped me in API (ground school you complete after OCS but before primary). And it convinced me that I REALLY wanted to fly before signing up for 9 years of it with the Navy.

On the flip side - if you're already sure you want to fly - the Navy will put you through IFS (introductory flight screening) where they pay for you to get about 25 hours (basically though your first xc solo) - so reguardless of what you do, you'll have a practical working knowledge of airplanes before hitting API and primary.

After looking at my roommate's level of experience after IFS, my bottom line is that getting your license from a good instructor / school is worth it (if you can do it without going broke).

Status
Not open for further replies.