• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pilot weight restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looey

Does anyone know if there are weight restrictions for becoming a pilot? I know that if someone is out of the height weight index but is under 22% body fat, they are eligable for most jobs in the navy. I've heard that there is an ejection seat weight limit and I'm guessing that if it exists it would be encountered in Intermediate. Can anyone confirm this? And if it is true, how could one get a waiver? :icon_tong

SpeedyJ

SNA, Meridian
Looey said:
Does anyone know if there are weight restrictions for becoming a pilot? I know that if someone is out of the height weight index but is under 22% body fat, they are eligable for most jobs in the navy. I've heard that there is an ejection seat weight limit and I'm guessing that if it exists it would be encountered in Intermediate. Can anyone confirm this? And if it is true, how could one get a waiver? :icon_tong

The ejection seat weight limit is around min-100 lbs to max-230 lbs, ball park of course, I don't remember the exact figures (learned it in ground school, forgot!).

I think a bigger issue than your actually weight alone is your size overall; height, bulk, weight, reach, etc. You may be too big for the T-45 but not too big for the F-18, oh well you can't come here, so you would end up in helo or prop land. Not a big deal, they have great communities.

For the best info see your OSO and get weighed and measured. If you fit the height standards and are just overweight then get going on an aggressive workout regiment. Trust me, it will be worth it.

Bevo16

pilot
I have a friend who is 6ft 4in and 235 pounds, and he made it through T-34's and is in Kingsville now in the jet pipeline. If you are bigger than that, you may have a problem, I know he is at the upper limit.

The measurement that is the limiting factor is not so much height/weight, but the length of your femur. If your upper leg is to long, you get your knees chopped off in the event of an ejection. They will measure you during your physical and let you know if you are disqualified for anything.

F414Guy

The weight limit is for the 0-0 ejection criteria. The past two times I have had my flight physical I had to sign a waver to get my up chit. I have personally seen a CO of a FA18 squadron who was way over 230 punch-out after the launch bar spit the cat and he made it out just fine. If you’re sitting on the deck and have to punch and you’re over 230 your chute may not open before you hit the deck.

Bevo16

pilot
Yea, thats right. Thanks for filling in the gaps. I am pretty sure that you can't get a waiver if your legs are to long though, right?

F414Guy

There are limitations for your anthroprometric(sp) measurements but unless you’re taller than I am (6'7") you should be good. The book says I'm quailed for jets but I don't physically fit in a FA18, the EA6B is no problem though.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd love to know what tables they use to determine anthro restrictions, I'm only 5'9" and 140ish but restricted from the Harrier, F-14D and T-2C, not that I'd be flying any of those anyway. I suppose they must have small cockpits to not fit a skinny guy like me. F414guy, how did you have to re-sign the waiver? I put on 10lbs from my initial flight physical and still had to sign b/c I was then under the lower limit, even though I'm not now.

F414Guy

In my last command (VAQ 132) I was an in-flight troubleshooter and had the chance to fly on a few hops. When I got stationed here in VX-9 I had to go to medical to renew my up chit for the program. The LT that did my physical was a Richard Cranium about it and said I was out of the weight limits for the EA6B seat. I didn't care and signed the damn thing so I could fly. The only time I'm punching out of a jet sitting still (on shore) is if there is a fire and I can't egress myself

beau

haha,

Scorpions! my paps was the CO of them back in the 80's! my I remember being a little dude and running around that squadron with a big dopey smile!....of course now I'm in Primary with the same smile on my face! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.