• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot Slot Guarantee?

OldDominionFlyr

I know that it is currently possible to earn a USMC aviation contract prior to attending OCS. So if you complete OCS(and accept the commission) and TBS you're off to API.

But on the NAVY side of things...
When will I know if I qualify for a pilot slot, after the ATSB? Can I get a guarantee prior to attending OCS? If not, what's the competition like for pilot slots in OCS? Will I be required to accept the commission after OCS if I do not get a pilot slot?

Finally....
I've worn out the search function trying to locate this info. If it's out there I apologize for not finding it and I humbly request someone link it to me.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I know that it is currently possible to earn a USMC aviation contract prior to attending OCS. So if you complete OCS(and accept the commission) and TBS you're off to API.

But on the NAVY side of things...
When will I know if I qualify for a pilot slot, after the ATSB? Can I get a guarantee prior to attending OCS? If not, what's the competition like for pilot slots in OCS? Will I be required to accept the commission after OCS if I do not get a pilot slot?

Finally....
I've worn out the search function trying to locate this info. If it's out there I apologize for not finding it and I humbly request someone link it to me.

Yes. There is a TON of info on this site. Do search before asking questions. If you've already searched, then figure out how to search better. There are countless threads talking about the process of applying for OCS/BDCP etc. You GO TO OCS with your given designator (ie as a pilot candidate).

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
On the Navy side, you apply for specific officer designations on the application for commission. You find out which communty you got selected for, if any, when the board reviews your app. If you don't want to work in a certain community, don't apply for it.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the Navy side, you apply for specific officer designations on the application for commission. You find out which communty you got selected for, if any, when the board reviews your app. If you don't want to work in a certain community, don't apply for it.

If you commission via OCS you will know your job in the Navy before you go. You are not obligated to serve if you don't graduate from OCS if I remember correctly. There are exceptions, but generally that is how it works. As others have said, look around on the site. Search for BDCP and OCS. The forum is picky about short search terms, so when looking add a "*" to the end of your search term. Like this: BDCP***

Do you have any specific questions?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you commission via OCS you will know your job in the Navy before you go. You are not obligated to serve if you don't graduate from OCS if I remember correctly. There are exceptions, but generally that is how it works.
If the Navy pays you before you go to OCS, you will owe time as enlisted if you attrite, such as with nuke.

OldDominionFlyr

Thanks for the info guys.
Sure, I have some things that might be considered specific questions. Elsewhere on this forum I've read that pilots are not in particularly high demand at the moment and that competition is tight for these positions. Yeah, I figured as much.

1.Any idea what percentage of pilot applicants get accepted for OCS during each board?
2.My searching gives me the idea that boards are held once a month and OCS classes begin once a month or so, is this correct?
3. Approximately what percentage of a class at OCS are pilots?

Like before, if I've missed something that someone feels I should have already found out, go ahead and chide me for it. I've gotta learn sooner of later. :D

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the info guys.
Sure, I have some things that might be considered specific questions. Elsewhere on this forum I've read that pilots are not in particularly high demand at the moment and that competition is tight for these positions. Yeah, I figured as much.

1.Any idea what percentage of pilot applicants get accepted for OCS during each board?
2.My searching gives me the idea that boards are held once a month and OCS classes begin once a month or so, is this correct?
3. Approximately what percentage of a class at OCS are pilots?

Like before, if I've missed something that someone feels I should have already found out, go ahead and chide me for it. I've gotta learn sooner of later. :D

1. This gouge is 2 years old but my recruiter told me my fiscal year acceptance rate for pilots (and NFOs) was around 6%.
2. OCS classes are typically every 2 weeks with some variations for holidays, quotas etc. Boards meet twice a month, typically every other friday or something.
3. It REALLY varies. Some classes it may be almost half the class, others there may be one or two. I've seen both cases.