• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot slot after college

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys
Just a question about getting a pilot slot with the Marines. Can you get a slot after graduating college with out being in PLC. I have a year left of college and cannot decide weather to go Army aviation or Marine aviation.
The Army seems to be taking alot of people right now. I work as an A&P mechanic at a local airport and I see alot of Army pilots come through. These Army pilots most of which are warrent officers seem to speak very highly of their job and flying in the Army. I talked today with a guy that was a Blackhawk pilot and a former enlisted Marine. This pilot talked so highly of the Marines even more so than the Army.

Give me your opinion's please I am considering doing 20 years with what ever branch I choose so I what to make the right descision.

Thank's Shannon

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Short answer yes with the OCC program available through the same OSOs who do PLC. I think you already answered your question as far as which service to choose in your above post. There is lots of info on this site just look around it will answer most of your quesions.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
not a marine or a soldier, but I know that I would choose Naval Aviation (to include marine air) any day over army aviation. I have been to quite a few army air fields and was not impressed with the QOL or just the atmosphere. Not to mention, (and this is NO WAY meant as a dig on warrants) but would you rather be a warrant or a commissioned officer?

To bch
My reply is this I would rather go commissioned with the Marines rather than the Army, but if the Army is my last option i would take it. The only thing about Army aviation is that Warrent officers fly a hell of alot more than a commissioned officer and they don't make as much as the commissioned guys do. By what I have seen many of these Warrent's who fly in the Army have one of the most laid back flying gigs in the military today. Many of them have told me that when they are not flying they pretty much do not do anything. They do not have any leadership responsibilites like the commissioned guys do. This info by the way is what I have collected over the past year of meeting many Army pilots at the local airport in which I am employed so please do not get upset if the info is wrong. My main purpose for this thread is this, As Marine rotory wing aviator's what do you think of the Army and their flying programe compared to the Marines. I need more info about flying with the Marines so I can make my descision but I am leaning more torwards the Marines as times goes on.
Tanks Shannon
Please post any replys I am interested to hear anything you guys have to say

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A&P wallis said:
By what I have seen many of these Warrent's who fly in the Army have one of the most laid back flying gigs in the military today. Many of them have told me that when they are not flying they pretty much do not do anything. They do not have any leadership responsibilites like the commissioned guys do.

If this is in the least bit appealing to you I think you should steer clear of the Marine Corps and the Navy or that matter both service expect more than a one dimensional pilot incapable of or unwilling to do anything else (I dont think this is the case foar many Army Warrant Officers but they are fairly one dimensional)
I realize the prospect of leading men is daunting, Im not sure how old youa re but when I began the process at 19 it scared me to death but I like to think I grew into it. It was a desire however to be an Aviator and a leader not just a pilot that caused that.
Good luck in your endeavors

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Short answer. The best of the Army, specifically Task Force 160, are the best R/W aviators out there. The bulk of the Army is very mediocre. They are wedded to procedures and employ their aviation assets as if they were flying trucks, vice adding depth to a battlefield.

Marine pilots are much more rounded aviators in general, having done fixed wing training (which few Army pilots do), much more instrument training, and working both afloat and ashore. I would rather be a WO in the Army than a commissioned O in the Army, as they pretty much stop flying altogether at major, rarely with more than 1000 hrs. However, I'm glad I'm a commissioned O in the Marines over either of the other two.

Bajastylee

Short answer. The best of the Army, specifically Task Force 160, are the best R/W aviators out there. The bulk of the Army is very mediocre. They are wedded to procedures and employ their aviation assets as if they were flying trucks, vice adding depth to a battlefield

I dont know where you guys are getting your info on how the Army utilizes there air but you are wrong. And to even say that only the 160th is good and the rest are mediocore well that is just plain stupid. Until you have had experience with Army dont talk about it like that. Until you have been on a hot LZ, and flew down to pick up some infantry dudes (ME) then dont talk. And just so you guys know we actually had some Marine guys say that they liked Army air better, and NO I dont believe it. I am not trying to start some big old fight, but I am just tired of hearing people rip on Army air. Especially Wattant Officers, because they are the ones that are grabbing there balls and pulling us out of the "****" if you will. Most, but not all Officers are more worried about getting rank. I dont know how it is in the Marines, but that is how it is in the Army.

And just so you know I do want to fly for the Marines. However I feel you shouldnt judge unless you have some real experience.

And as far as going Marine or Army Air A&P wallis, it all depends on what you want to fly. If you want a chance at the Hornet or Harrier go Marines. If you definetly want to fly helicopters then maybe your best bet is to go Army. But dont think for a second that you wont have responsibility. And if you go Marines you should know that being a Marine is first, Officer second, and pilot third. Just remember that before you go in. Later.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok I dont want to start a fight here and noone is questioning the proffesionalism or courage fo teh Warrant Officers but the truth of the matter is that no matter how brave or good a Warrant Offier is he will never lead the big flights that is reserved for the commisioned Officers who most times are the least experienced guy in the flight (and who though I odnt agree, you didnt have much good to say about). This is policy. With that policy Army aviation is tied to procedures and very static tactics (its hard to inovate when you are under 1000 hours trying to lead guys with twice that much time around)
The Army pays Warrant officers to fly and only to fly, this is why they are warrant offiers and not commisioned officers. If all you want to do is fly helicopters and have few if any colateral duites by all mean go Army it is a great oragnization and an honorable way to serve. If however youa re looking for a bit mroe challenge go see a Marine OSO.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Bajastylee said:
And just so you know I do want to fly for the Marines. However I feel you shouldnt judge unless you have some real experience.

This is why we research our posts before posting. Phrogdriver is one of the most experienced Marine Officers on this board. He's been a pilot for 7 or 8 years I believe. How are you going to tell him to get experience?

If you look for posts by bobbybrock(Army WO) on this site you'll find rather informative comments on Army aviation...I think that was his userID.

Thank's for the replys this was my point to get your opinions. I am 24 with one year left of college. Both my parents were Navy my mom still is in. I have had some interaction with Marines over the years so that is why I will try for the Marines first. I think the big thing that Marines have that other branches don't is the self image that most or all Marines have of them selves. For example every time that I have talked with a Marine OSO or enlisted Marine they come across cocky. Now many people would think that they were just being would asses but these guys take great pride in being Marines and that is what I find appealing.
Thanks Shannon

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Bajastylee said:
And to even say that only the 160th is good and the rest are mediocore well that is just plain stupid. Until you have had experience with Army dont talk about it like that. Until you have been on a hot LZ, and flew down to pick up some infantry dudes (ME) then dont talk. And just so you guys know we actually had some Marine guys say that they liked Army air better, and NO I dont believe it.

I have worked with the Army. After we started the work in Kosovo, the "Big Red One" took the handoff, just as soon as the movie theater and contract chow hall were finished. Same thing in Kandahar a couple years later, but with the 101st. I wasn't impressed that they offloaded helos but left all the NVGs in follow-on pack-ups. I wasn't impressed that they wanted days of "acclimatization time." I wasn't impressed that they wanted course rule briefs in a place with no course rules. And I wasn't impressed that somehow it takes over a week to assemble a helo after a C-17 breakdown when I've seen 46s fly the same day they come off a cargo plane.

My opinion of the 160th as being solid pilots comes partially from media accounts, but also from meeting Army aviators from that unit and knowing Marine exchange pilots who went there.

Have your own opinion. I am speaking from my experience. You obviously have had a different one, but don't assume I'm a punk whose experience is watching Blackhawk Down 10 times.

I'm not denigrating those who serve honorably in the Army. My view of them is the same as my view of homosexuality: not for me, but if that's what does it for you, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure others have choice words to say about Marines. As career advice goes: if you want to rack up r/w flt time, go Army WO; if you want to get decent flt time, but get some big-picture work, go Marine air; if you don't want either, go Army commissioned officer!

:jump_125:

Later.

Reactions: bch
I want every one to know that this thread was not started to prove who is better the Marines or Army. My point was this what does Marine aviators think of Army aviation in general. As to the guy who wrote the last thread you are right in the sense that this is your opinions about the Army and their pilots, but on the other side of things I know first hand how some Marines can be totaly A- holes just because they go by a title and wear a EAGLE GLOBE ANCHOR. No harm intended but Anyone who wears a uniform and fights under the U.S flag gets my respect period. I am not saying you don't have respect for your brothers in arms, but your last post does come across very anti Army. My point I did not start this thread to bash the Army but to get your opinions on Army aviation.

To jmwSemperfi

Your last thread was well taken, but I would have to say that my last post was not on the defensive but my point was this I did not start this sudject to bash one paticular branch. All I wanted was a Marine's opinion on Army aviation. Brother you are right I did get alot of opinion's and they are well taken. My mother is active duty Navy and has been stationed with Marine's so I do understand what the Marine corp's is all about. I have the up most respect for the Marine Corp because in my opinion Marine's are the most deciplined out of all of our brances of military. This is just my opinion please remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.