• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot Selection From Navy OCS

jakperlow

Hi, this is my first post, so disregard any ignorance regarding information I may say haha.

A little backround on me: I am a freshman in college at the University of Utah. During my senior year of high school, I decided I wanted to start flight training and I eventually received my PPL just before heading off to University. I am studying business and have around a 3.5 GPA. I have flown a little bit since I got here, and I am at just about 130 hours with a PPL fixed wing. I am going to be continuing training all the way from Instrument through CFI by the time I graduate; If all goes according to plan.

My original plan was to go to civilian flight school (which I already did for my PPL), and obtain all the licenses/ratings required to go to the regionals and then eventually try and work my way to the majors. Although that would be a great plan, and a fantastic career, I feel like I need a career with a little bit more of a purpose behind it.

With a bit of background out of the way, here is where my research has lead me so far. In terms of Navy aviation, and obtaining a pilot slot, the three ways to get there are by going to the USNA, joining NROTC, or applying to OCS once I graduate. USNA is clearly not an option as I have already begun college, NROTC leaves me a little uncertain weather I'll get a pilot slot before committing to service, so OCS seems to be the best bet for me. If what I think is correct, once I graduate I will send in an application, with the help of a recruiter, with "Pilot" as my top choice, right? This also assures me that I will have a pilot slot before signing any contract and committing to service, right? I understand I will need to take tests and obtain certain documents, but right now I am just concerned about how the process for getting a pilot slot works.

My main questions is, aside from how the overall process works, is what are the real chances that I could receive a pilot slot by applying to OCS? Do they give all the slots to the Academy/ROTC kids, or is there a fair amount left that are given to "off the street" OCS applicants that have a strong application (high test scores, LOR's, high number of flight hours)? I am aware that I will need to score high on the tests, maintain a good GPA throughout college, and continue to build flight hours throughout college. Feel free to throw any and all information at me that you think would help!

Jake

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My main questions is, aside from how the overall process works, is what are the real chances that I could receive a pilot slot by applying to OCS? Do they give all the slots to the Academy/ROTC kids, or is there a fair amount left that are given to "off the street" OCS applicants that have a strong application (high test scores, LOR's, high number of flight hours)? I am aware that I will need to score high on the tests, maintain a good GPA throughout college, and continue to build flight hours throughout college. Feel free to throw any and all information at me that you think would help!

Check out the threads on here to include the recent Pilot / NFO board posts.

Lots of information at your disposal.

RSPaviator

Hi, this is my first post, so disregard any ignorance regarding information I may say haha.

A little backround on me: I am a freshman in college at the University of Utah. During my senior year of high school, I decided I wanted to start flight training and I eventually received my PPL just before heading off to University. I am studying business and have around a 3.5 GPA. I have flown a little bit since I got here, and I am at just about 130 hours with a PPL fixed wing. I am going to be continuing training all the way from Instrument through CFI by the time I graduate; If all goes according to plan.

My original plan was to go to civilian flight school (which I already did for my PPL), and obtain all the licenses/ratings required to go to the regionals and then eventually try and work my way to the majors. Although that would be a great plan, and a fantastic career, I feel like I need a career with a little bit more of a purpose behind it.

With a bit of background out of the way, here is where my research has lead me so far. In terms of Navy aviation, and obtaining a pilot slot, the three ways to get there are by going to the USNA, joining NROTC, or applying to OCS once I graduate. USNA is clearly not an option as I have already begun college, NROTC leaves me a little uncertain weather I'll get a pilot slot before committing to service, so OCS seems to be the best bet for me. If what I think is correct, once I graduate I will send in an application, with the help of a recruiter, with "Pilot" as my top choice, right? This also assures me that I will have a pilot slot before signing any contract and committing to service, right? I understand I will need to take tests and obtain certain documents, but right now I am just concerned about how the process for getting a pilot slot works.

Jake
Hey man,

So for reference, I am 30, and got my degree at 28, business degree from an online university. I also have my PPL with a little under 100 hours. After trying Air Force for a while (board cancelations and fill ups were rampant) I tried navy.

My first board I applied to (Aug2021) I was selected for SNA (student naval aviator) which is the navy’s way of saying a pilot. From my experience with this process, the main thing the board cares about (if you’re physically and medically qualified) is your ASTB scores, specifically the PFAR and your GPA. I recommend doing some research on What the ASTB is, and take some practice tests to see what you know. Get in contact with your local OR recruiter and see what information they have regarding your situation.

You may find out fairly quickly you have something disqualifying in your physical, medical, or criminal history. They may send you to MEPS and find some etching wrong with hearing or vision. Talk them about what the ASTB is and how to take it, and focus on what you can. I still haven’t left for OCS, yet so obviously you can take this with a grain of salt, I am just an applicant farther down the line than you, but some of this answers the questions I had when I was starting down this road.

johnboyA6E

None
Also, check out this recent thread on the BDCP program.
Best of both worlds, you can apply while still in college, and get paid while in college, and go to OCS right after graduation. You apply for a specific community and if you don't get what you want you don't have to commit. Pretty competitive though

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

Jake

The amount of pilot slots available for OCS ebbs and flows with the Needs of the Navy month to month and year to year. But yes, you are correct, if you go are selected for a Student Naval Aviator slot at OCS, you are guaranteed to commission as an officer with the designator 1390 (Student Naval Aviator). The caveat being that you must make it through OCS and the medical screening process.

As far as your chances are concerned, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Out of curiosity, why not apply for NROTC if it's available to you? That way you get paid while in college, get school paid for, get to go do Navy things over the summer, and get a commission the same day as you graduate.

cvmm

Hi,
I am currently working on my OCS package (active duty navy enlisted) and I am getting ready to submit soon in May. I was wondering if there was an example any one of you may have for a request chit to be sent to your captain in regards to going to OCS.
Its called a special request chit.

exNavyOffRec

Hi,
I am currently working on my OCS package (active duty navy enlisted) and I am getting ready to submit soon in May. I was wondering if there was an example any one of you may have for a request chit to be sent to your captain in regards to going to OCS.
Its called a special request chit.
Are you looking at the ISPP program authorization? if not you should be.

exNavyOffRec

I have no idea what that is. I am doing the application step by step with the ESO checklist that i was given
It is the In service procurement program for OCS selection for those on AD who want to be Aviation, SWO, EOD and SEAL.

DBM

The amount of pilot slots available for OCS ebbs and flows with the Needs of the Navy month to month and year to year. But yes, you are correct, if you go are selected for a Student Naval Aviator slot at OCS, you are guaranteed to commission as an officer with the designator 1390 (Student Naval Aviator). The caveat being that you must make it through OCS and the medical screening process.

As far as your chances are concerned, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Out of curiosity, why not apply for NROTC if it's available to you? That way you get paid while in college, get school paid for, get to go do Navy things over the summer, and get a commission the same day as you graduate.
How do you get selected for SNA if you go through OCS? Would you have to do well on the ASTB first in order for you to get selected or does it's not matter if you go through OCS?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How do you get selected for SNA if you go through OCS? Would you have to do well on the ASTB first in order for you to get selected or does it's not matter if you go through OCS?
Dude, also please just search the forums. This question has been asked/answered dozens of times here.

DBM

Dude, also please just search the forums. This question has been asked/answered dozens of times here.
Yeah you're right tbh. I guess I was hoping for a quick reply but no problem, I'll dig around in here a bit more.